NEWS The Bunker: Boyd positional switch only way to fix Brisbane’s broken spine

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
TL;DR: let's try hiding him in the centres. Maybe he'll do less damage there.

The Bunker: Boyd positional switch only way to fix Brisbane’s broken spine

Last edited by a moderator:
It makes sense.. if we can't get rid of him, left centre is probably the position he'll cause the least damage to us. I'd have no issue with this being our 17 for next season, under the provisions that Glenn gets a fat payday from the Titans and Gillett retires due to health issues, both of which I think are looking more and more likely.

1. Milford
2. Oates
3. Boyd
4. Staggs
5. Isaako / Coates / Farnworth (Pre-Season battle)
6. Bird (If healthy, motivated and still at the club)
7. Dearden
8. Lodge
9. Turpin (I know, this will probably be McCullough)
10. Haas
11. Fifita
12. Pangai Jr
13. Carrigan / Ofahengaue (Pre-Season battle)

14. Segeyaro
15. Ofahengaue / Carrigan
16. Flegler
17. <New signing>

He needs to be out of the team. He probably has a TPA with Fox or something, so if he isn't playing he isn't the face of the club and Fox don't pay his TPA so the club has to. Cap issues ensue etc etc.

It makes sense.. if we can't get rid of him, left centre is probably the position he'll cause the least damage to us. I'd have no issue with this being our 17 for next season, under the provisions that Glenn gets a fat payday from the Titans and Gillett retires due to health issues, both of which I think are looking more and more likely.

1. Milford
2. Oates
3. Boyd
4. Staggs
5. Isaako / Coates / Farnworth (Pre-Season battle)
6. Bird (If healthy, motivated and still at the club)
7. Dearden
8. Lodge
9. Turpin (I know, this will probably be McCullough)
10. Haas
11. Fifita
12. Pangai Jr
13. Carrigan / Ofahengaue (Pre-Season battle)

14. Segeyaro
15. Ofahengaue / Carrigan
16. Flegler
17. <New signing>

why would we make a new signing 17th on our depth chart..??? Surely a new signing is one that improves the first team..? If its a depth signing i feel confident we have that already..??

Can you tell me what your thoughts are for this..?

why would we make a new signing 17th on our depth chart..??? Surely a new signing is one that improves the first team..? If its a depth signing i feel confident we have that already..??

Agreed. Besides, i think kennedy has done alright with the opportunities he has been given and will only get better with more time in the team.

He's right though. Milford is our best 6. The team needs some experience. Darius isn't good enough to be in the spine, move him to 4. It was good enough for Hodges it should be good enough for Darius.

I am sick of the pussy footing around by the media about Darius's form. I wish they would rip in to him even half as much as they ripped in to Lockyer at the start of 2006.

There's 17 players in an NRL team, if he's 17th on the depth charts, he's improving the first team...

The thinking is that if we're losing Glenn & Gillett, we're going to need another experienced forward, I don't think Tagatese & Fensom are going to cut it. We'll also have ZERO edge back row depth if we lose both of those guys, unless you're putting all your eggs in the Keenan Palasia basket.

Mitchell Aubusson would be an ideal candidate, despite his age, he's still effective, can play anywhere, wouldn't demand much money and would be great senior leader around the boys. There's quite a few of those style of players around, it's just a matter of looking. Kurt Capewell is another who would be great in that role. John Asiata, Michael Chee-Kam, etc.

If he MUST be in the team, and not benched, throw him out on the wing, and never throw the ball to him.

If he MUST be in the team, and not benched, throw him out on the wing, and never throw the ball to him.
The wing's definitely not the right place for him. He's broken, not shit - if his body could stand up to the running and other work required we may as well put him in as fullback. But it looks like he's not up to it any more and having a shot duck on the wing would be pretty fucked.

The wing's definitely not the right place for him. He's broken, not shit - if his body could stand up to the running and other work required we may as well put him in as fullback. But it looks like he's not up to it any more and having a shot duck on the wing would be pretty fucked.

I went with wing, more because I think he would be old enough to buy into the "wingers are nothing" mentality.

I went with wing, more because I think he would be old enough to buy into the "wingers are nothing" mentality.
Dunno about that. It's made me think though, the constant negativity is counter-productive. Boyd is a far better player than the meme he's made out to be on the internet, if people keep mocking him he's got more incentive to play another year and go out showing people he's still a gun player. Whereas if people were to constantly remember how bloody good he can be and that he's got nothing left to prove to anyone, our multi origin winning multi premiership winning Clive Churchill medalist might be more able to call time on his storied career.

Dunno about that. It's made me think though, the constant negativity is counter-productive. Boyd is a far better player than the meme he's made out to be on the internet, if people keep mocking him he's got more incentive to play another year and go out showing people he's still a gun player. Whereas if people were to constantly remember how bloody good he can be and that he's got nothing left to prove to anyone, our multi origin winning multi premiership winning Clive Churchill medalist might be more able to call time on his storied career.

He’s been about as consistent through his career as Hayne but with a quarter of the talent.

He came to us from Newcastle totally despised by their fans and as the joke of the league. Possibly the player most hated by fans of his own team of all time. He had his redemption story, he had a great 2015 and a decent 2016. Then he had a bog average 2017 and an abysmal 2018. His 2019 is even worse than his performances that made him so disgraced in the eyes of Newcastle fans.

He has nothing left to prove because he’s been accused of being a flop his whole career and has proved it beyond doubt. His legacy will be 2015, 2010, and 2009. Very solid seasons in s career of mediocrity.

He doesnt get a chance at a second redemption. It’s over, any spike in form he may have on the way out still won’t justify the last 2 years of negative performances. Add that on top of the stain on his career that is his Newcastle days. No one wants to see a Boyd redemption, we just want you to go away, thanks.

I have no interest in seeing Boyd finish on top, I just want to see him finish.

Last edited:

I'll never deny what he's done in the past. But his time is well done, and he's gotta go. At this point, I'd actually throw him into Q-Cup, and suck it up, and keep paying him.

There's 17 players in an NRL team, if he's 17th on the depth charts, he's improving the first team...

The thinking is that if we're losing Glenn & Gillett, we're going to need another experienced forward, I don't think Tagatese & Fensom are going to cut it. We'll also have ZERO edge back row depth if we lose both of those guys, unless you're putting all your eggs in the Keenan Palasia basket.

Mitchell Aubusson would be an ideal candidate, despite his age, he's still effective, can play anywhere, wouldn't demand much money and would be great senior leader around the boys. There's quite a few of those style of players around, it's just a matter of looking. Kurt Capewell is another who would be great in that role. John Asiata, Michael Chee-Kam, etc.

if your thinking Mitch Aubusson then why not simply stick with Lexi..??

I get the thinking...and agree this squad could use the right sort of experienced head in the right position...

Which means for me the weakest part of this squad, halves. that's where you focus your efforts for recruitment...offer them first team football with a eye to help mentor, develop and eventually hand over to the chosen ones (Dearden, Turps) ....

Are we even looking for such a player in the Super league in England..?

if your thinking Mitch Aubusson then why not simply stick with Lexi..??

I get the thinking...and agree this squad could use the right sort of experienced head in the right position...

Which means for me the weakest part of this squad, halves. that's where you focus your efforts for recruitment...offer them first team football with a eye to help mentor, develop and eventually hand over to the chosen ones (Dearden, Turps) ....

Are we even looking for such a player in the Super league in England..?

I'm not sure that he wants Lexi gone, just that he is feeling it's gonna happen

What say you, @Unbreakable

I'm not sure that he wants Lexi gone, just that he is feeling it's gonna happen

What say you, @Unbreakable

Correct. I'd happily keep Glenn on a cheap contract, as long as he's willing to play the bench mr. fix it role. As I said, I can see the Titans giving half their roster the ass and offering massive overs to high quality, well behaved veterans. Glenn probably has a $1.8m, 3 year contract waiting for him from the Tits this off-season.

Correct. I'd happily keep Glenn on a cheap contract, as long as he's willing to play the bench mr. fix it role. As I said, I can see the Titans giving half their roster the ass and offering massive overs to high quality, well behaved veterans. Glenn probably has a $1.8m, 3 year contract waiting for him from the Tits this off-season.

wouldn't put anything past Titans....but cant help but thinking the NRL has a vested interest in the club also, and whatever they have decided to support the club and engage the fan base etc...

...and they too have failed...

so NRL need to have a long hard look at themselves after this fiasco of a season has completed about how exactly they support and engage with clubs like this...

Rant over....

Active Now

• MrTickyMcG
  • Mustafur
  • Broncosgirl
  • Brocko
  • Sproj
  • Culhwch
  • Battler
  • Galah
  • Harry Sack
  • TimWhatley
  • Foordy
  • Stix
  • Johnny92
  • Fozz
  • Fitzy
  • jd87
  • KateBroncos1812
  • GCBRONCO
... and 3 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.