The Class of 2008 - 10 years on - Pass or Fail

lynx000

lynx000

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jul 28, 2008
My first and potentially only post season thread starter. Ten years on do we consider the 2008 under 20s broncos team a pass or fail. Here is our team from the grand final:

FB: Josh Hoffman
WG: Mitch Rivett
CE: Will Tupou
CE: Brendon Gibb
WG: Jharal Yow Yeh
FE: Jared Kahu
HB: Ben Hunt
LK: Alex Glen
SR: Matt Handcock
SR: Troyden Watene
PR: Mitchell Dodds
HK: Andrew McCullough
PR: Josh Maguire
Bench: Michael Spence
Bench: Dunamis Lui
Bench: Guy Ford
Bench: Tom Butterfield

Out of that I count 5 Internationals, 4 State of Origin Players (noting some double up with internationals), 8 regular first graders.

The glaring figure is zero premierships. From that perspective, it would have to be deemed a fail.

My first and potentially only post season thread starter. Ten years on do we consider the 2008 under 20s broncos team a pass or fail. Here is our team from the grand final:

FB: Josh Hoffman
WG: Mitch Rivett
CE: Will Tupou
CE: Brendon Gibb
WG: Jharal Yow Yeh
FE: Jared Kahu
HB: Ben Hunt
LK: Alex Glen
SR: Matt Handcock
SR: Troyden Watene
PR: Mitchell Dodds
HK: Andrew McCullough
PR: Josh Maguire
Bench: Michael Spence
Bench: Dunamis Lui
Bench: Guy Ford
Bench: Tom Butterfield

Out of that I count 5 Internationals, 4 State of Origin Players (noting some double up with internationals), 8 regular first graders.

The glaring figure is zero premierships. From that perspective, it would have to be deemed a fail.

Jared or Jordan Kahu?

Fail. They haven't won a premiership. They came close once, but not good enough for the Broncos.

How depressing to have Yow Yeh in that side and not playing today, he would add so much to the backline.

He’d have saved us from years of Maranta for one. We live in the worst timeline when it comes to his injury.

Coming into the peak of his powers, just glad he got to rep Qld and Aus at least. Would’ve loved to have seen him at fullback with some of his return ability. Could make something out of nothing.

Ok stop we’re not doing this any more.

More on topic not necessarily because there’s no premierships, but because of the mental fragility from the core players, no doubt brought about by the 08 NYC GF.

I always liked what I saw of Gibb from the 2 games he played in NRL.

Hoffman was a failure of his own doing. You were a great winger, should’ve been happy you were good enough to do that.

Lui was always a potato

Dodds was always on the brink of being something but never got there and kept getting injured

Hunt + McCullough are decent, but not great, players. McGuire needs to return to prop, and had his best season last or the year before, but credit doing what he has having only one eye. Same with Glenn re form. Like people say in regards to his retention, he’s a guy you need in your club, but he won’t win you any matches off his own bat.

Already mentioned JYY

Barely half the team play consistent NRL, and not even for us anymore, no premiership for any of them and a habit of dare I say choking? = Fail.

Last edited:
A huge fail. Yow Yeh was comfortably the best of the lot and his career was cruely cut short. Hoffman is trash, Glenn is journeyman level, Kahu is an out of form injury magnet, Hunt is Hunt, McC is bog average and McGuire seems like he doesn't give a shit anymore.

A huge fail. Yow Yeh was comfortably the best of the lot and his career was cruely cut short. Hoffman is trash, Glenn is journeyman level, Kahu is an out of form injury magnet, Hunt is Hunt, McC is bog average and McGuire seems like he doesn't give a shit anymore.
Wrong Kahu.

Depends by what metric you use.

Did they deliver a premiership? No. On that level it's a fail.

From a club perspective though, we did unearth a few players that served us well and perhaps others that were prevented from having a greater impact. On that note it's a pass.

Just for reference the raiders NYC GF team
1 Josh Dugan
2 Drury Low
3 Jarrod Croker
4 Daniel Vidot
5 Michael Brophy
6 Michael Picker
7 Matt Smith
8 Andrew Edwards
9 Travis Waddell
10 Nick Skinner
11 Jarrad Kennedy
12 Zach Merritt
13 Shaun Fensom (c)
14 Brock Dunn
15 Justin Carney
16 Todd Rheinberger
17 Levi Freeman

Went to school with Troydon, he was a gun, not sure why he never kicked on to the NRL.

Last edited:
Fail. The clear best of the lot are JYY and McGuire. We win the comp in 2015 with JYY and McGuire in the side which may have made it a pass. Hunt and Hoffman are frauds that set us back years.

1 Josh Dugan
2 Drury Low
3 Jarrod Croker
4 Daniel Vidot
5 Michael Brophy
6 Michael Picker
7 Matt Smith
8 Andrew Edwards
9 Travis Waddell
10 Nick Skinner
11 Jarrad Kennedy
12 Zach Merritt
13 Shaun Fensom (c)
14 Brock Dunn
15 Justin Carney
16 Todd Rheinberger
17 Levi Freeman

That is very interesting. Play the match again in 2018 and the Broncos win by how many they want to.

Fail. The clear best of the lot are JYY and McGuire. We win the comp in 2015 with JYY and McGuire in the side which may have made it a pass. Hunt and Hoffman are frauds that set us back years.
Hunt may have lost but he took us to that GF.

Went to school with Troydon, he was a gun, not sure why he never kicked on to the NRL.
I tried to watch as many broncos NYC games as possible and I thought Troydon was a huge talent... Lui was always talked up out of that class, but to me Troydon was easily the better player.

Not sure what happened to him either.

1 Josh Dugan
2 Drury Low
3 Jarrod Croker
4 Daniel Vidot
5 Michael Brophy
6 Michael Picker
7 Matt Smith
8 Andrew Edwards
9 Travis Waddell
10 Nick Skinner
11 Jarrad Kennedy
12 Zach Merritt
13 Shaun Fensom (c)
14 Brock Dunn
15 Justin Carney
16 Todd Rheinberger
17 Levi Freeman

I was going to say that our ‘08 mob have ultimately failed but still miles better than the Raiders. Dugan is the only one I’d rate and I don’t see a premiership ring on him either.

That was the problem with under 20s. Very few go onto NRL. It wasn’t a fail in the usual sense for me. A lot of international and SOO and bad luck with injury.

The problem was they were overly hyped, overused and relied upon which prevented us seeking better options and have all peaked early with lots of heart but poor football smarts or a ability to deliver in a clutch. As much respect as have for their work ethic as a whole have none for their failure to learn. That’s why Parker was a favourite player. Kept developing into his 30s. Same with Locky and Hodges even once they lost their speed they compensated with skills, leadership and guile. Dont expect everyone to be able to do what the greats do but none of that group show even an ounce of that.

Active Now

• MrTickyMcG
  • cento
  • Lozza
  • Wolfie
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Foordy
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • PETERN
  • Broncosgirl
  • Bucking Beads
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Dash
  • Fozz
  • RolledOates
  • I bleed Maroon
  • broncos4life
... and 1 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.