The controversial thread

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by Lockysillegitimatechild, Jun 22, 2018.

1. holdzy89

holdzy89 NRL Captain

I don’t think they are overtly racist at all. I’m sure some of them are, but again, it’s a minority. They have every right to be pissed about how blacks have been treated and portrayed, but I don’t condone violence on any side of the issue. It’s different with White racism, unfortunately, it just is. Because they have actual power, and you see it reflected in acquittals for white trigger happy cops who are openly racist. You see it in a skewed justice system. To say whites are under attack to me is to be wilfully ignorant of actual injustice, which any rational person would agree goes against blacks far more than whites.

I do see part of your point, white men are being punished for the sins of the father. I think that’s our burden to bear, ‘white mans burden’ if you understand the reference.

Feminism wasn’t originally just about violence, it was also (and still is) about opportunity. They had to fight to get jobs, to have control of their own money, to have laws against abuse and discrimination and so on. It still continues, and yes, some have taken it too far. Again, a minority of unreasonable people, who should be condemned. But you are painting with the broad brush you resent used against men. And I think are buying into a bit of propaganda too.

2. A response without personal insults, it's a miracle! I agree with a lot of things you're saying for the record, I just think it's more than the minority now in these groups, maybe that's just my perception because of the advancements of social media and coverage, but to me it seems like a reason portion of BLM members absolutely hate white people purely because they were born white and a solid chunk of feminists absolutely despise men just for being men.

I doubt there's any statistics to back that claim or up or to disprove it, it's just how I feel the movements are going, they're getting more and more aggressive and unreasonable as they progress.

3. soup

soup State of Origin Rep

We’re estranged from my partner’s family unfortunately, simply because he’s the typical rural narcissist that controls the everybody by taking them out to ‘acres’. It’s very, very common in the area they are in.

We literally had to leave the property under police guard because he locked the gates, holding us in.

Domestic violence extends beyond women’s rights.

As a result, his wife, my child’s grandmother, misses out on a relationship with her grandson, not because that’s her choice, but because of her husband’s choice. Life is a ****.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2019
  4. holdzy89

holdzy89 NRL Captain

I only give it back when I get it, mate. I hope so, anyway.

I think it’s honestly mostly social media, for the most part. It is distorting our perception of reality because we invest a lot into it. Perhaps people are becoming more extreme, in higher numbers, but I haven’t seen it translate into my every day life, or anyone that I know. I think it would be difficult to argue these extremists are beyond a minority, but perhaps that is different online, where most people think they can act with impunity.

Maybe all idealogies are attracting more extremists, due to the pressure cooker that is modern life. I guess for myself, I sympathise with the lefties on these issues, because even though some of them go about it the wrong way, and are annoying and perhaps bordering on harmful, their intent is admirable. I find far less to empathise with from the righties.

Porthoz likes this.
  5. holdzy89

holdzy89 NRL Captain

It’s fucked, and I agree. I just won’t accept any whataboutism on the issue. Unbreakable experienced it, you experienced it, I experienced it. It’s not about down playing men’s rights at all, imo, and I vehemently oppose the men and women that do that. Domestic violence has elements that are unique to women, just like suicide has elements that are unique to men in this country.

Sirlee oldman and soup like this.
  6. Cult3

Cult3 State of Origin Captain

Do you go to university? Where do you get your news from so you can avoid the hourly what men do wrong article? Do you know any 18-30 year old women? As someone who has attempted to avoid identity politics, fake news and out of context quotes from world leaders, I need to know how you can keep up with things while avoiding this shit.

7. holdzy89

holdzy89 NRL Captain

I use Facebook only for family, I don’t have any other social media. I get my news from many places, so as to avoid bias ( I also avoid obvious sensationalism). I know plenty of 18-30 women, I believe you might be implying something stupid there, but I’ll leave it be. Also have been to uni, but quit to look after my family.

Day to day life, rarely if ever is any of this shit an issue. I also don’t approach everything with sarcasm.

Porthoz and abashii like this.
  8. I've probably watched too many SJW cringe compilations on YouTube, I thoroughly enjoy watching them get dismantled to be honest.

Foordy and soup like this.
  9. soup

soup State of Origin Rep

Sounds like you need to get laid more frequently.

Don’t take my advice though; babies are expensive.

Sirlee oldman likes this.
  10. holdzy89

holdzy89 NRL Captain

I like watching my heroes like Christopher hitchens and Sam Harris destroy religious fundamentalists in debates, but I also don’t let that enjoyment turn into some bias and borderline hatred of all religious people. Empathy for individuals is key.

Porthoz likes this.
  11. soup

soup State of Origin Rep

Empathy or sympathy? Serious question.

Actaually, scratch that, I don’t want to instigate a new BHQ WW3.

12. holdzy89

holdzy89 NRL Captain

Empathy, man. You can empathise with the worst scum in life at a basic human level (for example, most abusers were abused themselves, often as children). Empathy.

Zero sympathy.

Porthoz likes this.
  13. soup

soup State of Origin Rep

I’m with you. I’ve experienced exactly what you’ve outlined.

14. abashii

abashii NRL Player

Empathy is the correct word I reckon.

Porthoz and soup like this.
  15. holdzy89

holdzy89 NRL Captain

So have I unfortunately. Pain often teaches you empathy, if it doesn’t break you.

abashii and soup like this.
  16. Lozza

Lozza

Appreciate your reply Huge but your delivery is quite condescending, arrogant and unnecessary. Sorry I didn't single out any particular post but there were many statements made over the course of this discussion that I was disappointed with. I'm not surprised you disagree with my point of view but I'm glad that you seem to be in the minority. Believing that domestic violence against women being a major issue is society is hardly a wild claim.

The only stats I mentioned was the 2% that was stated by another poster. I absolutely reject that, not because it suits my version of reality but because it is reality. I'm not sure where you think I made light of harm done to men? Any violence is unacceptable as I previously stated. I also didn't say posters were defending domestic violence against women.

My facts are not made up, they are absolutely true. If you're referring to the fact that many victims don't report their abuse then I can guarantee you this is true as I have been there as have some of my friends. The truth is, it's humiliating being in this sort of relationship and in my experience tried to hide it for as long as possible. It is also not worth reporting as there is very little the police can do in these situations as it's very difficult and time consuming to get a conviction. Twice I was advised not to bother pressing charges even though I was visibly injured and my ex was still out the front hurling abuse.

The published facts are that in 2018 men were responsible for 82% of murders and manslaughters and were involved in 93.5% of female deaths and 82.6% of male deaths. "On average one woman a week is murdered by her current or former partner". That's scary shit and I absolutely believed this is a major issue that society needs to address.

Again, I'm not dismissing violence against men but I don't think men should be so defensive about efforts to reduce violence against women or violence in general. As a mother of both a son and a daughter I would love there to be an easy solution to this but there isn't so I applaud any efforts made to improve the world we live in including this ad as it has people at least thinking about and discussing the issue.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2019
  17. Sirlee oldman

Sirlee oldman QCup Player

Surely now the argument is over. The weak, defensive men who haven’t abused women should stand down and those who have done wrong need to understand that the movement for change is aimed at you.
    No more excuses.

Porthoz and Lozza like this.
  18. We can all unite in lol'ing at the Cowboys now. What better way to bring BHQ together.

holdzy89, Tom, abashii and 1 other person like this.
  19. Melbourne to be caught cheating again?

Tom, holdzy89, abashii and 1 other person like this.
    Condescension? Huh? Arrogant? Huh? Naturally you go straight to that. Fortunately I don't suffer from Sir Gallahad Syndrome and consequently treat your rubbish the same as any others. I'm not sure how you've ascertained whether or not my view is in the minority but again it suits your narrative. You didn't claim dv was just a major issue, you claimed it was THE major issue, a wild claim. I agreed it was an important issue but again, how arrogant and condescending I was doing so.

I'm not sure how you could have missed both my quote and highlighting of your words but they adequately explain how you seek to talk down the harm done to men. Naturally you don't understand as you say, you aren't trying to. We men understand that violence towards others is to be avoided and reduced wherever possible, a point I myself and others have repeatedly stated but nowhere do I see in your post the same understanding of men's real issues. I thought your post made good points though but I found the tone patronizing and somewhat antagonistic. See, we all have feelings. Let's just stick a fork in it, it's done okay?

Black Philip likes this.