The Dolphins discussion

I don't recall Bennett patting himself on the back as much in his career, as he has in the last couple of years.

Getting the sack really hurt his ego
I'd say he's just looking to increase exposure of the new boys by throwing out sensationalist comments and getting them some inches in the newspaper

There's very little mud back at him because his record speaks for itself, but it helps in manufacturing a rivalry between the two clubs.

Journos will be making note of all these things to generate some headlines twice a year when we play each other.

I've always wondered with front ending contracts, does it actually end up costing players money in increased taxation? Or would they all be in the highest bracket anyway.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think it works differently for elite sportspeople with limited career windows. Something like a portion of it goes directly in to something that works like a trust, so it gets taxed either lower or zero, and it's only available to them when they retire, where they pay the tax on how much they draw from it.

It's why a good manager (or at least financial advisor) is so vital for the younger players - if invested well, they make money on the pre (or lower) taxed money, so by the time they retire they can have quite a decent chunk put aside.

I've always wondered with front ending contracts, does it actually end up costing players money in increased taxation? Or would they all be in the highest bracket anyway.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think it works differently for elite sportspeople with limited career windows. Something like a portion of it goes directly in to something that works like a trust, so it gets taxed either lower or zero, and it's only available to them when they retire, where they pay the tax on how much they draw from it.

It's why a good manager (or at least financial advisor) is so vital for the younger players - if invested well, they make money on the pre (or lower) taxed money, so by the time they retire they can have quite a decent chunk put aside.

Yes not sure about how it's would with sports/trusts, but if you're taxed like a normal pleb I think you're worse off (tax wise) getting it all in one year compared to 2 (if already earning over 180k per year).

From some random Excel math (I'm bored at work today), it's around an extra $29k in tax.

I have something like that ... It's called Superannuation 😝

From Bennett in relation to Sean O'Sullivan:

“He came to the Broncos because of me but I got the sack (2018) and never got to coach him for one minute.

“When he went to Penrith, into a good system at a good club, we saw what he could do."

Wow - I hope Kevvie puts this up in the dressing room and reminds the players what Bennett thinks of them and the club. That is insulting.

Its probably more a dig at Morris, White and Seibold rather than the current regime.

From Bennett in relation to Sean O'Sullivan:

“He came to the Broncos because of me but I got the sack (2018) and never got to coach him for one minute.

“When he went to Penrith, into a good system at a good club, we saw what he could do."

Wow - I hope Kevvie puts this up in the dressing room and reminds the players what Bennett thinks of them and the club. That is insulting.

To be fair, we don't have a good system (do we have a system at all?) and until we make finals again he's right in that we're not a "good club". I've lost a lot of respect for the bloke over the past few years but he's bang on target here, even if it is sour grapes on his part.

To be fair, we don't have a good system (do we have a system at all?) and until we make finals again he's right in that we're not a "good club". I've lost a lot of respect for the bloke over the past few years but he's bang on target here, even if it is sour grapes on his part.
Whether he is right or not isn’t the point at all.

I don't recall Bennett patting himself on the back as much in his career, as he has in the last couple of years.

Getting the sack really hurt his ego

It definitely went to his head, some of the success he has had.

No problem with that of course, so long as you keep having success.

Craddock reporting that in the months after the Phins were admitted to the comp, Bennett tried to lure Alfie to them to perform the same role he does for us

Active Now

• BroncosAlways
  • Wolfie
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Fatboy
  • Redux
  • Strop
  • simplythebest
  • Allo
  • RodF
  • Organix
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Brotherdu
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • broncsgoat
  • Galah
  • Maroon4life
  • GCBRONCO
  • Justwin
  • Harry Sack
... and 33 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.