The Federal Election

Who will you vote for in the 2019 Federal Election?

• Labor

• Greens

• Liberal

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

ningnangnong

HACK THE PLANET!!!
Dare we discuss this?

Many years ago, I feel like BHQ was a LNP stronghold, but I think things have changed since then.

Let's talk politics! :)

Voting in the poll is private as I feel it will encourage more participation.

Last edited:

Alec

International Rep
Greens always last for me, without fail.
First preference, I'll have to do some research into smaller parties.

Labor vs Liberal preference? I guess Liberals first.

Brisbane
I'm going Labour.

We can't trust either candidate, it's just a matter of picking the lesser of two evils and I feel that's Shorten.

Plus there are a couple of matters that make me choose Shorten that I won't go into.

I truly have no idea yet...
None of them inspires confidence and I haven't got much time to make my mind up, as I will be in Europe when the elections occur and will have to vote early.

Will it be Labor, who traditionally fuck the economy up, but take better care of the more disadvantaged population?
It probably is their turn, and it would be a refreshing change to the tendency towards conservative and alt-right, although on the other hand I've had just about enough of the political correctness I can take, and their pandering to the Greens is downright damaging.

Or will it be Liberals, who are better for the economy, but have too many conservative policies which hold the country back (what a massive cock up the NBN was) and generally hurt the little man and minorities the most?
Of course, they're nowhere near as bad as their US counterpart, have maintained a relatively secular stance, and haven't gone overboard with xenophobic policies, going as far as dumping One Nation as their preference (although our own MAGA toddler is only marginally better than our Orange idiot).

Decisions... decisions...

holdzy89

NRL Captain
I truly have no idea yet...
None of them inspires confidence and I haven't got much time to make my mind up, as I will be in Europe when the elections occur and will have to vote early.

Will it be Labor, who traditionally fuck the economy up, but take better care of the more disadvantaged population?
It probably is their turn, and it would be a refreshing change to the tendency towards conservative and alt-right, although on the other hand I've had just about enough of the political correctness I can take, and their pandering to the Greens is downright damaging.

Or will it be Liberals, who are better for the economy, but have too many conservative policies which hold the country back (what a massive cock up the NBN was) and generally hurt the little man and minorities the most?
Of course, they're nowhere near as bad as their US counterpart, have maintained a relatively secular stance, and haven't gone overboard with xenophobic policies, going as far as dumping One Nation as their preference (although our own MAGA toddler is only marginally better than our Orange idiot).

Decisions... decisions...
LNP are corrupt as. Better for the economy is a myth imo. Seems like an easy choice this election.

Brisbane
Have the Greens got a preference deal yet? I'm voting for weed but not if the preferences go to the shambles that is the LNP. They need to be bought back to earth for a couple of terms and realise who they work for.

LNP are corrupt as. Better for the economy is a myth imo. Seems like an easy choice this election.
Pick your corruption. LNP with big business, or Labor with the unions and organised crime.

I'm with Porthoz Porthoz on this. Both parties have positives and negatives. My choice of lifestyle should lead me towards Labor, in terms of looking after those most at risk, and putting the wellbeing of people & the planet above profit. However, in the past Labor have tended to attempting to solve these issues by just blanket throwing money in a general direction, with little regard for whether it is actually improving anything. It has happened many times in my adult life, and I've seen first hand how little benefit there is, with the economical cost being huge. I feel that they would rather be seen to be spending money in a particular area, with the actual results secondary.

Working for small business, the LNP concept of promoting business & economical growth is appealing, especially the way the economy is right now (a lot of business are desperately struggling), but while their policies do help business growth, it generally overwhelmingly favours those that are already wealthy.

The policies they are both throwing up before this election just kind of seem meaningless to me. As always, it's rhetoric and hollow words.

Brisbane
Pick your corruption. LNP with big business, or Labor with the unions and organised crime.

I'm with Porthoz Porthoz on this. Both parties have positives and negatives. My choice of lifestyle should lead me towards Labor, in terms of looking after those most at risk, and putting the wellbeing of people & the planet above profit. However, in the past Labor have tended to attempting to solve these issues by just blanket throwing money in a general direction, with little regard for whether it is actually improving anything. It has happened many times in my adult life, and I've seen first hand how little benefit there is, with the economical cost being huge. I feel that they would rather be seen to be spending money in a particular area, with the actual results secondary.

Working for small business, the LNP concept of promoting business & economical growth is appealing, especially the way the economy is right now (a lot of business are desperately struggling), but while their policies do help business growth, it generally overwhelmingly favours those that are already wealthy.

The policies they are both throwing up before this election just kind of seem meaningless to me. As always, it's rhetoric and hollow words.
Coming from a small business, I see absolutely and utterly no reason to use the small business to consider voting for the LNP. The only thing they've done is extend the tax free grant, which has been extended for around a decade. They talk about tax cuts which never happen, and don't do a thing to help. Not saying Labor is any better, but the LNP couldn't give a shit about small business, because small business isn't in a position to donate.

Coming from a small business, I see absolutely and utterly no reason to use the small business to consider voting for the LNP. The only thing they've done is extend the tax free grant, which has been extended for around a decade. They talk about tax cuts which never happen, and don't do a thing to help. Not saying Labor is any better, but the LNP couldn't give a shit about small business, because small business isn't in a position to donate.
I guess it depends on your industry, and while it comes close to the "trickle down" fallacy, there are still genuine flow on effects, even if the direct benefits only go to the top end of town.

For us it's more direct. It's not necessarily just pure tax cuts, it's incentives to invest (which I guess are facilitated by tax breaks on those investments, but kinda different to a "your tax rate is less). When big business invests, the benefits directly flow on to construction, engineering, as well as those like I work for, broadly under the banner of "business services".

If those areas are improving, then employment improves, wages go up, people can afford to cycle their cars more frequently, get them serviced on time, can afford a decent mechanic. Business can expand their fleets, etc.

Edit: It may help you more directly than that, with incentives to be able to invest in newer & better equipment, expand the scope of what services you can offer, etc.

Last edited:
Brisbane
I guess it depends on your industry, and while it comes close to the "trickle down" fallacy, there are still genuine flow on effects, even if the direct benefits only go to the top end of town.

For us it's more direct. It's not necessarily just pure tax cuts, it's incentives to invest (which I guess are facilitated by tax breaks on those investments, but kinda different to a "your tax rate is less). When big business invests, the benefits directly flow on to construction, engineering, as well as those like I work for, broadly under the banner of "business services".

If those areas are improving, then employment improves, wages go up, people can afford to cycle their cars more frequently, get them serviced on time, can afford a decent mechanic. Business can expand their fleets, etc.

Edit: It may help you more directly than that, with incentives to be able to invest in newer & better equipment, expand the scope of what services you can offer, etc.
You don't think it's kind of a cop out that the best you can find is my example of what they are doing for small business, and use big business as a filler?

This trickle down effect crap is nothing more than a nice way for a politician to say "We aren't helping you in anyway". A good economy helps, sure, but these decisions aren't made to help anyone outside of the corporate world.

roo-ted

NRL Player
I’ve always voted LMP but I’m voting for Palmer this time. I’m sick of voting someone in and then their party turning on them

Last edited:
You don't think it's kind of a cop out that the best you can find is my example of what they are doing for small business, and use big business as a filler?

This trickle down effect crap is nothing more than a nice way for a politician to say "We aren't helping you in anyway". A good economy helps, sure, but these decisions aren't made to help anyone outside of the corporate world.
Hence why I said that the LNP's "I'm helping" via big business incentives is comparable to Labor's "I'm helping" by throwing money at something that has little to no actual benefit.