The Federal Election

Who will you vote for in the 2019 Federal Election?

• Labor

• Greens

• Liberal

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

vertigo

NRL Captain
Simple really, Bill Shorten is a union dog. Hasn't actually got a clue. Says he for the people but is only for certain people. Higher taxes would've ruined the economy.
Scott Morrison is truly for the people. Plus the economy is now booming, back in black. Jobs are being created and being employed in a small business I see the benefits of a Scomo lead government.

Now tell me how many people on this forum are employed in a small business?

After 27 years, the Australian economy is finally facing a recession. Neither monetary nor fiscal policy look set to save it and yet again we appear highly dependent on a Chinese surprise.

The outlook for the Australian economy is bleak. Gross domestic product and consumption growth are expected to fall. The recent decline in house prices will almost certainly continue alongside the six year-long stagnation in real wage growth.

Art Vandelay

QCup Player
Looks like a dog's breakfast in the Senate though.
The 'Centre' Alliance's two senators are going to hold an insane amount of power over the next three years. Assuming One Nation and Bernardi vote with the Coalition that likely gives them 37 votes. Labor and the Greens will probably hold 36 seats. To pass legislation the government needs two out of the three of the Centre Alliance and Jacqui Lambie. Xenophon was a mercenary but I admittedly don't know anything about Stirling Griff or Rex Patrick.

Thelmus

NRL Player
The thing is that billionaires employ millions of people, so when you go after “the big end of town” you are going after everyday people as well. Slugging successful business with Taxes because they are successful is only going to drive business overseas and put a lot of families out of work
Billionaires employ millions? Where? The majority of australians are employed in government services, then s

roo-ted

NRL Player
Billionaires employ millions? Where? The majority of australians are employed in government services, then s
I wasn’t just talking about Australia. The main point I was making is, it’s all well and good to say let’s go after the big end of town, but in doing that you effect the lower end of town including government jobs

Dash

NRL Player
Brisbane
I wasn’t just talking about Australia. The main point I was making is, it’s all well and good to say let’s go after the big end of town, but in doing that you effect the lower end of town including government jobs
No billionaire has ever gotten more money and said "awesome, now I can pay my workers more". On the other hand, give the workers more and the FIRST thing they do is spend it on the billionaires' products. Everybody wins.

Last edited:

holdzy89

NRL Captain
Oh...trickle down, right?

lol they are taking their millions/billions OUT of the country, constantly. But yeah, LNP jobs and economy and blah blah.

Nashy

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
Why the hell should we give them tax breaks? Because they may need to wait a month to recoup that with their giant salary, all the stock they hold, and all the extra income they make. Australia needs money to operate basic infrastructure, to build new infrastructure, and we can't do that without taxing someone.

Have you actually seen the percentage of your wage that is paid in tax? Or is the money in the bank the only worry. Go look at the percentage of your hard earned that is given directly to the government. Then tell me why we should give people earning millions a year a tax break.

To then say they want to save that money in a surplus and not spend it on us, is a little insulting.

holdzy89

NRL Captain
Why the hell should we give them tax breaks? Because they may need to wait a month to recoup that with their giant salary, all the stock they hold, and all the extra income they make. Australia needs money to operate basic infrastructure, to build new infrastructure, and we can't do that without taxing someone.

Have you actually seen the percentage of your wage that is paid in tax? Or is the money in the bank the only worry. Go look at the percentage of your hard earned that is given directly to the government. Then tell me why we should give people earning millions a year a tax break.

To then say they want to save that money in a surplus and not spend it on us, is a little insulting.
Not to mention...they gave what, $30 million to Foxtel. What the sweet ****?

Nashy

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
Not to mention...they gave what, $30 million to Foxtel. What the sweet ****?
Yeah. People need to start associating that money as their own, or our money. That's money we paid in tax, that they gave to their friend. Last I checked, the Murdoch family aren't exactly living pay cheque to pay cheque.

roo-ted

NRL Player

Yes I do take notice of my taxes paid and yes it’s bullshit, last year I paid 23,000 in taxes and only got 6,500 back. There needs to be a better tax system from top to bottom, I don’t think slugging the big business is the answer. The reason Holden went over seas is because everything is to highly taxed over here. But yess I appreciate what you are saying also

Thelmus

NRL Player
Don't you need funding for government services? Don't we already have a regressive tax in the GST that has failed to have been updated in its compensation mechanism since after its reception?
Are you expecting the poor to pay for services to the rich? Currently, we do. Look at financial revenue from taxes and see how much is raised in company taxes or even high end income taxes versus the revenue gains from GST and the taxes raised from low income earners.
Currently we subsidise the diesel of coal producers to the tune of $5 billion, but not the unemployed, the retired and especially not everyday low income people like me.
Over my working life, I've watched the destruction of the livelyhood of low income earners, first through the decimation of union power to the point that they are almost extinct in the private sector, and now we are seeing the rise of the gig economy and its ilk.
How long before we see middle-income jobs replaced the same way, or their wages stagnate through overseas competition online?
Are you expecting me to feel sympathy for the plight of billionaires? most of whom can manage to transfer their incomes overseas to tax havens and have the audacity to talk about shared austerity while never knowing what it is like to choose between your son's school fees, car rego and electricity bills on which to put off with an uncomfortable phone conversation (if you are lucky) or doing without.
I remember being reduced to tears, begging my boss for an advance to give my son a (meagre) birthday party. Do you think they have any idea how humiliating that would be? It was a trip the Suttons beach with a couple of pizzas and cheap game and he loved it, but I felt like a shit because I had to spend money to keep my car running to keep my job. That's life at the bottom. It is what it is and I don't expect to be lifted from it anytime soon, but I'll be dammed if I'll go through that again to let someone who literally cannot spend the money they have, have more.
We live in a world where people with power can act like paupers, telling us they can't afford what they clearly can. They tell us it's the fault of those who are the weakest: the refugees, the unemployed, single mothers, even retirees, but the truth is we have lost sight what it is to be human. We are encouraged to "look after yourself" and that "greed is good", when the truth is everyone we don't help in this world is the responsibility of someone, be it their parents, or friends or even just a kind stranger. We tell ourselves these people are abusing the system when the system has been broken for years. How long will we blind ourselves to the fact that EVERY human being contributes something and that most of the time it is not given in dollars?
My partner has helped me raise my son, her kids, and three others that had nowhere else to go. We didn't help those without knowing there was a cost to our lives but according to the rules of this world, we are the losers be we didn't put ourselves first. That's ok but I get sick of being told I need to give more "to encourage investment" or "increase productivity" when I'm already working long hours for less comparatively less than I did 5 years ago, thanks to a never-ending rise in the cost of living and stagnant wages.
So, in summary, I think I would prefer the billionaires pay a little more.

Nashy

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
Yes I do take notice of my taxes paid and yes it’s bullshit, last year I paid 23,000 in taxes and only got 6,500 back. There needs to be a better tax system from top to bottom, I don’t think slugging the big business is the answer. The reason Holden went over seas is because everything is to highly taxed over here. But yess I appreciate what you are saying also
The issue with Holden wasn't high taxes. Didn't they get huge concessions to help them remain in operation? The reason they kept being propped up for years by the government, was because of the amount of people they employed.

Those people were not affordable given the low sales of the Australian cars. For every brand it's the same, those models were not selling enough to continue making them here. The government couldn't keep paying to keep them operating at a loss, as sad as it is.

Last edited:

Alec

International Rep
I don't know as much about the senate, but I feel like having an even number of both parties is the best option. Hope no crazy laws will get passed from either side, if it ever came to that.

Morkel

International Captain
Staff
I don't know as much about the senate, but I feel like having an even number of both parties is the best option. Hope no crazy laws will get passed from either side, if it ever came to that.
I get what you're saying. But unfortunately the reality is that, unless there are ONLY LNP and Labor candidates elected, then the small number of independents and/or minor party members end up with essentially all of the power. If something needs to be passed, then to get a majority, one side needs to get that middle person to agree, and more often than not it comes down to giving them concessions of whatever they want to push.

Case in point, Clive Palmer does not give a shit about what he says he does. He wanted the balance of power so that he could maintain his monopoly up north on the coal-fired power plant. The same reason he's using Chinese scare-tactics and is against the Adani mine - he wants it all to himself up there. Had he won the balance of power, he'd likely get whatever he wants in exchange for his vote in the senate.

IRL, the best case scenario is a very small majority to one major party.

Nashy

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
I get what you're saying. But unfortunately the reality is that, unless there are ONLY LNP and Labor candidates elected, then the small number of independents and/or minor party members end up with essentially all of the power. If something needs to be passed, then to get a majority, one side needs to get that middle person to agree, and more often than not it comes down to giving them concessions of whatever they want to push.

Case in point, Clive Palmer does not give a shit about what he says he does. He wanted the balance of power so that he could maintain his monopoly up north on the coal-fired power plant. The same reason he's using Chinese scare-tactics and is against the Adani mine - he wants it all to himself up there. Had he won the balance of power, he'd likely get whatever he wants in exchange for his vote in the senate.

IRL, the best case scenario is a very small majority to one major party.
I'd rather a Government get a decent majority. Mainly because I'm fucking sick of the constant fighting and inaction because they can't get the other party to agree.

Morkel

International Captain
Staff
I'd rather a Government get a decent majority. Mainly because I'm fucking sick of the constant fighting and inaction because they can't get the other party to agree.
Was that because the numbers were quite even, or was it more an issue with the in-fighting in the LNP? If they're going to work together for the meantime (big IF) hopefully they will be able to get shit done.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Twitter