The fight ahead for Corey Oates

I guess what it comes down to is his motives for wanting to go to 2nd row. If it's genuinely because he loves playing there or because he will earn more money as a second rower. If it's the first one there's a good chance he will stay because I'd say he will get his chance eventually, if he's out for a big pay day there isn't a lot we will be able to do to keep him

Sorry missed that about Sua. Still a good game with him having plenty of metres. Oates I think loves the team, but wants a career progression. Since he's unlikely to develop the skills of a fullback, second row seems his safest bet.
I think to get there he needs to spend some time in Intrust cup learning his trade or else filling in for a short spell during games.
Right now the broncos 2nd row have players that hardly ever spend time on the bench. Perhaps he'll get a shot with sua there, but it seems our lack of quality wingers is killing his chances.

Like i have said before, If he gets an offer to play second row and we only offer him wing, he is going to leave unless we pay him absolutely stupid money. We wont be paying him a fortune as a winger i wouldnt think and even as a back rower you would have to wonder why we would give him huge money for a role he isnt proven in.

Give him all the money we have.

Seriously though, he's been invaluable for us on the wing. He's one of the best wingers in the game and he could be one of the best backrowers. Pay him what he's worth.

Watching the Eels struggle without Radradra, and similarly, watching us when Oates is not there, it highlights the positives of having a fast, genuinely powerful, and safe winger that can still score freakish tries.

There aren’t any others who can match what he brings. Wingers, even elite ones, have a comparatively low pay rate simply because you can get a decent rookie to do a relatively simple role for cheap. Even rep wingers, like Holmes, Gagai, Mansour, do an excellent job every week, but it’s still a quite simple job.

Oates’ ability offers more than just that simple role. His size, strength, reach, speed, safety, and evasiveness give us advantages that no other team can claim. Being able to use him as a finisher as well as a bulldozing metre-eater makes him just as, if not more, valuable than if he were playing as a back-rower.

It’s for those reasons that the normal pay ceiling for a winger shouldn’t apply to him. Give him $700k. $750k. $800k. But keep him on the wing.

Wingers, even elite ones, have a comparatively low pay rate simply because you can get a decent rookie to do a relatively simple role for cheap. Even rep wingers, like Holmes, Gagai, Mansour, do an excellent job every week, but it’s still a quite simple job.

Really?
......getting the ball down one handed, whilst mid air....whilst being smashed by the opposing player, is easy?

Really?
......getting the ball down one handed, whilst mid air....whilst being smashed by the opposing player, is easy?

I didn’t say it was easy, I said it was simple. Like a front-rower’s job is simple, but not easy.

I didn’t say it was easy, I said it was simple. Like a front-rower’s job is simple, but not easy.

A backrowers job would be even more "simple" would it not?

Yeah, I dunno if I agree that the winger's job is simple. I mean if it's simple, then pretty much every other position bar the spine is simple too.

I'm absolutely amazed by what wingers can do these days. You can have absolutely nothing happening and then you have a winger jumping 2 metres into the air and scoring 1mm away from the dead ball line while being upside down.

A backrowers job would be even more "simple" would it not?

No back rowers not only have to protect the halves in defence but quite often have to make defensive decisions and have to have good agility.

Semi was the best winger in the country for mine, now that he's gone I think Oates takes that role.

No back rowers not only have to protect the halves in defence but quite often have to make defensive decisions and have to have good agility.

uhmm.......you mean like a winger does?

400k for 3 years would be my offer.

Too low. 550k 3 years. With 9 mill cap + assorted allowances that’s only about 1/18 cap.

Plus need to train him up to be more media friendly for unsecured TPAs. Guy should be scoring a bunch of deals.

Watching the Eels struggle without Radradra, and similarly, watching us when Oates is not there, it highlights the positives of having a fast, genuinely powerful, and safe winger that can still score freakish tries.

There aren’t any others who can match what he brings. Wingers, even elite ones, have a comparatively low pay rate simply because you can get a decent rookie to do a relatively simple role for cheap. Even rep wingers, like Holmes, Gagai, Mansour, do an excellent job every week, but it’s still a quite simple job.

Oates’ ability offers more than just that simple role. His size, strength, reach, speed, safety, and evasiveness give us advantages that no other team can claim. Being able to use him as a finisher as well as a bulldozing metre-eater makes him just as, if not more, valuable than if he were playing as a back-rower.

It’s for those reasons that the normal pay ceiling for a winger shouldn’t apply to him. Give him $700k. $750k. $800k. But keep him on the wing.

I keep saying it, but what if he doesnt want to play on the wing? Its no good saying throw whatever amount of money at him if he wants to play in the forwards. If we wont move him and he gets a decent offer to play second row he will leave.

I keep saying it, but what if he doesnt want to play on the wing? Its no good saying throw whatever amount of money at him if he wants to play in the forwards. If we wont move him and he gets a decent offer to play second row he will leave.

Unfortunately we don't know the answer to that.

Some reports say he simply prefers to play in the forwards, others say that he wants to move because of the invisible ceiling involved in playing on the wing.

As a back-rower, I don't know if he's as valuable to us. Sure, his speed, power, ability to run a good line is transferable, but other aspects like defence are not tested in first grade, and his fitness and durability are already known issues. Not saying he might not be a complete back-rower, but it's simply unknown and will likely take a few years to test.

If he definitely wants to play back-row, then I'm not as concerned if he goes, because no matter what we'd be losing what he brings to the wing and that's where he is the most valuable for us.

He'd be easier to replace when he breaks down if playing in the back row.

Saying that, I'm not convinced Corey is actually saying all this stuff, I recon his manager is probably the most vocal here.

I will be livid if we lose Oates. He has been outstanding since his debut in what was a real low point for the club.

Club needs to get some decent wingers transitioned into first grade so we can at least give him the option to test himself in the back row.

I think it's money related and rep related. Walters flat out said he's not picking him on the wing for QLD. I'd take him for this series if I was Walters - especially since Scott isn't his best.

The longer you stay on the wing, the longer your body will last, and the longer your career will be - that's how you sell it. Give him good money too.

Active Now

• Mustafur
  • bert_lifts
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.