NEWS The five contract issues Brisbane must fix

If we move Bird on and pay 500 of the 900 it clears up 400k for another player. I think Perese can step up into the centre spot.

i don't ... not until he fixes his defence

If we can't land Holmes (I don't think we will be able to,) I would like to see us go after T.Sailor. I think he would come fairly cheap tbh, and I don't think see much risk in signing him.
That would then allow us to go in hard for a dominant half eg Townsend or Sezer. Pair the dominant half with Dearden.
Spine:
1. Sailor (possibly Holmes)
6. Dearden
7. Townsend/Sezer
9. Turpin & Seggy

Happy to say goodbye to:
Boyd, Macca, Milf, Oates, Gillo and Isaako.
That would still leave us with decent $ to lock down Fifita and possibly even another experienced older head ie Morris.

If we can't land Holmes (I don't think we will be able to,) I would like to see us go after T.Sailor. I think he would come fairly cheap tbh, and I don't think see much risk in signing him.
That would then allow us to go in hard for a dominant half eg Townsend or Sezer. Pair the dominant half with Dearden.
Spine:
1. Sailor (possibly Holmes)
6. Dearden
7. Townsend/Sezer
9. Turpin & Seggy

Happy to say goodbye to:
Boyd, Macca, Milf, Oates, Gillo and Isaako.
That would still leave us with decent $ to lock down Fifita and possibly even another experienced older head ie Morris.
I would prefer Jai Field over Sailor TBH.

Pretty sure 1910 said Jai has been playing fullback in reserve grade all year and absolutely carving them.

Dragons would be crazy to let him leave unless he's been seriously struggling in reserve grade, but that doesnt seem to be the case with how 1910 has been posting about him.

Listening to the Matty Johns podcast, he claimed Jimmy Maloney was set to sign with us for next year but he wanted a 3 year deal and we weren't prepared to offer him 3 years.

Yet, we sign a bloke with a broken neck up to a 4 year deal. Go figure.

Listening to the Matty Johns podcast, he claimed Jimmy Maloney was set to sign with us for next year but he wanted a 3 year deal and we weren't prepared to offer him 3 years.

I'm glad we didn't sign him for 3 years!!

He wants massive money and is always near the top for missed tackles and penalties at 33. By the end of that contract he'd be 36-37.

Jimmy also doesn't sign unless he gets big money so we'd have a guy well on the decline, taking up big portions of the cap and sitting there as a beacon for opposition attacks to exploit.

Most on here were saying it would be good to have Jimmy for 12 months... I can't recall anyone saying jeez wouldn't it be great to have Jimmy here for 3 years!!

Does anybody even know if Holmes is even coming back????
Maybe he might stay in the NFL development team and try again next year?

Not signing a 30+ year old to a rich long term contract is the kind of improvement we want to see, though, yeah? How is this being spun as a negative?

Unless Holmes is happy to be the third or fourth RB on the roster at best, and maybe first choice returner, I'd expect him back next year.

The NFL is such a different beast. Here he would have been the standout guy in almost every team he played in coming up. He gets on the Jets - and this is just the Jets - and he's suddenly a very small fish in a very large pool, surrounded by guys that are his equal (at least) in raw athleticism and talent, and they've also grown up playing the game, not just logged a few hundred hours on Madden. Not to mention that the average NFL career is around three years, and for third-string RBs/return men it'd far, far less.

Haven’t heard anything but my guess is he will stay on and try again next season which will rule him out for 2020.
Shame.

Haven’t heard anything but my guess is he will stay on and try again next season which will rule him out for 2020.
Shame.
For the right kind of money I'm sure anything is possible. God knows Queensland could desperately use him too.

I'm not even sure I'd want Holmes after his NFL sojourn.

I think signing a guy on huge money after he's been out of the game 18+ months + physically transformed his body to the rigours of another sport, is fraught with danger. There's no guarantee he'll come back the same player he left, where's his head at/motivation at (he would be coming back with his tail between his legs to a sport where he's already achieved everything and people throwing huge cash at him, he may decide to coast) etc etc.

For the right kind of money I'm sure anything is possible. God knows Queensland could desperately use him too.

I don’t think it’s about the money he really wants to try his hand at nfl.
If he succeeds he will get far more money than he could ever make here.
Your right about Qld though we could really use him.

I don’t think it’s about the money he really wants to try his hand at nfl.
If he succeeds he will get far more money than he could ever make here.
Your right about Qld though we could really use him.
Yeah of course I understand he's serious about it and wants to give it a go. I'm just saying for enough money or a good enough opportunity he may decide to head home and try and dominate the NRL instead. It all depends how great a chance he really feels he has of making it over there.

Last edited:
Yeah of course I understand he's serious about it and wants to give it a go. I'm just saying for enough money or a good enough opportunity he may decide to head home and try and dominate the NRL instead. It all depends how great a chance he really feels he has of making it over there.

Yeah well I guess we’ll just have to wait and see.
Can’t see him being back before 2021 though.

Valentine "Not really a Fullback" Holmes stats from 2018 -

26 games - 22 tries, 26 line-breaks, 89 tackle breaks, 8 try assists - 154 running metres per game - Led the NRL in line-breaks & kick return metres

Imagine what a real Fullback could do

Even if we snag Holmes is he going to be enough to fix the club??
IMO i don't see it...

Not on his own but signing him along with an experienced halfback goes a great distance toward finally fixing our spine.

1. Holmes
6. Milford
7. Townsend/Sezer/Williams
9. Turpin

Not bhed. Good size.

How did Hayne’s return go regarding stats before and after NFL gig? Apples and apples?

comparing Hayne returning to Holmes returning isn't comparing apples with apples?

Holmes is younger, more professional and has less of an ego than Jayne ... oh and Holmes is prepare to play for more than a couple of a games a season ...

plus he would have the added advantage of NOT signing with the Titans

Active Now

• Justwin
  • Financeguy
  • bazza
  • Foordy
  • Sproj
  • Astro
  • Manofoneway
  • Allo
  • winslow_wong
  • theshed
  • Morkel
  • mrslong
  • Behold
  • Old Mate
  • Jedhead
  • BroncosAlways
  • Redux
  • Maddy
  • broncs30
  • Xzei
... and 12 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.