The Grammar / Spelling Complaint thread

Cult3

State of Origin Captain
Shouldn't there be a comma between "times" and "but" in your last sentence?

No, I don't think so. But was connecting an independent clause to a dependent clause. The first part of the sentence wouldn't create a full thought on its own.

This would be incorrect
Huge is old, but smart.

This would be correct
Huge is old but smart.

Huge

State of Origin Rep
Ipswich
Oh **** off you spelling nazi. 'How embaressment' is a quote from the ABC comedy hit Kath and Kim. Obviously you missed it. :-)
Much merriment and laughter here. I did miss the part where Kath and Kim misspelled embarrassment. No problem.

Huge

State of Origin Rep
Ipswich
Because they are two separate sentences that aren't dependent on each other. They are called independent clauses. Spelling and grammar are obviously linked very closely. "He that is without sin among you, let him cast a stone at her" might seem ridiculous at the best of times but if you're going to call people out on their mistakes then maybe you should work harder on your own.
The reason you can't usually start a sentence with “because” is because the sentence needs two parts for because to join together. Usually, “because” goes in between the two clauses, so if we start a sentence with “because” there is often only one clause in the sentence.

Things that make you go hmmmmmmmmm, things that make you go hmmmmmmmm

Huge

State of Origin Rep
Ipswich
Given you’re such a stickler for spelling; one gripe I’ve had reading your posts is that you use the American spelling for words that, in traditional British English, contain an ‘s’ and not a ‘z’.

Even more so when you say the following:

View attachment 4537

Some examples include:

View attachment 4538

Criticise.

View attachment 4539

Emphasise.

View attachment 4540

Rationalisation.
That's fine. I might point out that either spelling is correct as I am in neither country so it's purely choice, is it not? I totally agree I like the English version of things but as the spellings are interchangeable and simultaneously correct I use a hybrid of both. I just don't think 'Z' gets enough air time so this is my support of 'Z'.

Huge

State of Origin Rep
Ipswich
I was actually just thinking to myself, what have I done in creating this thread?!
Yes, take credit instead of crediting me with starting it. I blame Adam, he started it when he had someone to talk to.

abashii

NRL Player
Deep Didgeridoo
That's fine. I might point out that either spelling is correct as I am in neither country so it's purely choice, is it not? I totally agree I like the English version of things but as the spellings are interchangeable and simultaneously correct I use a hybrid of both. I just don't think 'Z' gets enough air time so this is my support of 'Z'.
Nah that's bullshit mate. You can't use anti-seppostan spellosity as an excuse to be a prick then uze their fucked up variant of Englizh in your own poztz. Well, you can coz you obviouzly have, but it'z not a great look.

Last edited:

Huge

State of Origin Rep
Ipswich
Nah that's bullshit mate. You can't use anti-seppostan spellosity as an excuse to be a prick then uze their fucked up variant of Englizh in your own poztz. Well, you can coz you obviouzly have, but it'z not a great look.
Love it. One of the greatest strengths of this forum was the original demand by Coxy that the new age internet jargon was kept to a minimum. I think I remember him being pissed off with acronyms.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Twitter