The Grammar / Spelling Complaint thread

Huge

State of Origin Rep
Ipswich
It'd be grouse if you spent half as much time proofing your own posts as you do nitpicking others' in some vain attempt to demonstrate your superiority.
You think that's the reason but it isn't of course. My efforts make people aware of how they write. As you practice so you perform. Just try sometime to read a current job application and think how you'd view it as an employer. If one looks like a three year old wrote it and another was well written you'd be inclined, more often than not to take the better one if both candidates were similar.

I'd say a lot of members seldom write elsewhere and if my nitpicking has prompted even one person to make a greater effort or change even a little it will be worth the criticism. There's no shame in making mistakes but great shame in refusing to learn from them.

abashii

NRL Player
Deep Didgeridoo
You think that's the reason but it isn't of course. My efforts make people aware of how they write. As you practice so you perform. Just try sometime to read a current job application and think how you'd view it as an employer. If one looks like a three year old wrote it and another was well written you'd be inclined, more often than not to take the better one if both candidates were similar.

I'd say a lot of members seldom write elsewhere and if my nitpicking has prompted even one person to make a greater effort or change even a little it will be worth the criticism. There's no shame in making mistakes but great shame in refusing to learn from them.
My this, my that, the way you write makes you come across as a massive egotist at best. Why look to the mote in others' eyes while ignoring the beam in your own? Have the people you've pulled up to practice your pedantry and point out punctuation problems actually asked for your criticism? And in this day and age, with the internet on everything and people communicating through text on a daily basis, how many members do you really think are exposed to language solely through bhq? That's a fairly poor fig leaf mate, don't piss on people's backs and claim it's raining.

If you genuinely want to help, why not be a flag-bearer for the appropriate use of language? You might get more traction by upholding the standards you claim to care about instead of so humbly forcing them down everyone else's throats.

broncos4life

International Rep
Brisbane

But that’s not the point and you know it. This is an internet forum that people access in the limited downtime they have, usually on a phone with all the issues that a tiny keyboard and autocorrect provide. People are not going to write in the same manner or with as much diligence as the do professionally.

Whether you want to admit it or not this constant attack on spelling and grammar has nothing to do with improving your fellow members and everything to do with making you feel superior.

Huge

State of Origin Rep
Ipswich
My this, my that, the way you write makes you come across as a massive egotist at best. Why look to the mote in others' eyes while ignoring the beam in your own? Have the people you've pulled up to practice your pedantry and point out punctuation problems actually asked for your criticism? And in this day and age, with the internet on everything and people communicating through text on a daily basis, how many members do you really think are exposed to language solely through bhq? That's a fairly poor fig leaf mate, don't piss on people's backs and claim it's raining.

If you genuinely want to help, why not be a flag-bearer for the appropriate use of language? You might get more traction by upholding the standards you claim to care about instead of so humbly forcing them down everyone else's throats.
Punctuation problems? Bullshit. That's not the issue and never has been. Misspelling grade three standard words and using the completely inappropriate words in what is A GENUINE attempt to appear clever is what I point out. I don't give a flying **** about your feelings on this matter. I haven't forced anything down anyone's throats, such childish hyperbole. Yes, as I wrote earlier in this day and age people seldom write a paragraph or two and this place is a good place to practice.

I'm aware of texting and the shit I've seen that passes for communication means people do need practice. You're irrational as your fourth last sentence indicates. Where did I write that people are SOLELY exposed to language on bhq? Strawman.

Last edited by a moderator:

abashii

NRL Player
Deep Didgeridoo
Punctuation problems? Bullshit. That's not the issue and never has been. Misspelling grade three standard words and using the completely inappropriate words in what is A GENUINE attempt to appear clever is what I point out. I don't give a flying **** about your feelings on this matter. I haven't forced anything down anyone's throats, such childish hyperbole. Yes, as I wrote earlier in this day and age people seldom write a paragraph or two and this place is a good place to practice.

I'm aware of texting and the shit I've seen that passes for communication means people do need practice. You're irrational as your fourth last sentence indicates. Where did I write that people are SOLELY exposed to language on bhq? Strawman. Idiot.
Would you care to address my actual point instead of hurling invective?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Twitter