The "held" Rule

I'm pretty sure that a player is called held if he is being driven backwards and his own player gets behind and starts pushing forward.
More teams should be aware of it IMO .

Here is the rule

Moving tackled player 2. (a) Where opponents do not make a tackle effective in the quickest possible manner but attempt to push, pull or carry the player in possession, it is permissible for colleagues of the tackled player to lend their weight in order to avoid losing ground. Immediately this happens the referee should call “Held”.

2. (b) Where the tackled player is held in an upright position, the ball shall not be played before the referee indicates that the tackle has been effected

Thank you. Very helpful!!

Fair call, it was called well before they dragged the St George player over the sideline and it was clear the ball carrier wasn't going to make anymore progress.

You're right, but it shouldn't have been called held in the first place.

The rules are pretty clear in this instance, let me highlight the relevant passage.

TACKLE AND PLAY THE BALL

A player in possession is tackled

:Grounded a . ‘when he is held by one or more opposing players and the ball or the hand or arm holding the ball comes into contact with the ground

.’Upright b . ‘when he is held by one or more opposing players in such a manner that he can make no further progress and cannot part with the ball.’

Backward progress is still progress. The intention of that rule is for when the tackle comes to a standstill, and you know that.

Progress is advancing, moving forward - to be driven backwards would be to regress.

The intention of the rule is to prevent the defence from getting carried away. Otherwise teams could theoretically drive another player backwards from their try-line to the opposition's dead ball line.

Progress is advancing, moving forward - to be driven backwards would be to regress.

The intention of the rule is to prevent the defence from getting carried away. Otherwise teams could theoretically drive another player backwards from their try-line to the opposition's dead ball line.
If they can do it then so be it, I'd like to see that. Why on Earth do they let it gohalf the time then? I think Dash is right. Your interpretation of the rule then there's no need or advantage to gain from dominating in a tackle. If the wording needs clearing up then it's something they should definitely do.

Well then I expect you to be calling for a penalty every single time someone gets driven back in-goal.

If they can do it then so be it, I'd like to see that. Why on Earth do they let it gohalf the time then? I think Dash is right. Your interpretation of the rule then there's no need or advantage to gain from dominating in a tackle. If the wording needs clearing up then it's something they should definitely do.

How many situations have there been this season where a team has dragged a player 15m over the sideline? They're fairly consistent on that front.

How many situations have there been this season where a team has dragged a player 15m over the sideline? They're fairly consistent on that front.
If they are dragging them back it shouldn't matter. But for some reason it does sometimes.

Do you think Gordon Tallis' ragdoll of Hodgson was a fair tackle?

Do you think Gordon Tallis' ragdoll of Hodgson was a fair tackle?

I don't think it's 1:1 since the Dragon's player was dragged back by a considerable distance. On the Tallis example while it's lineball, Hodgson did slide forward which suggested he had yet to succumb to the tackle.

I don't think it's 1:1 since the Dragon's player was dragged back by a considerable distance. On the Tallis example while it's lineball, Hodgson did slide forward which suggested he had yet to succumb to the tackle.
Mate fact is he got overwhelmingly dominated, which there should be a reward for.

Hodgson had succumbed about 15m before he reached the sideline.

Mate fact is he got overwhelmingly dominated, which there should be a reward for.

There was a reward and the women decided to go on with it.

Look you can still feel hard done by but I'm just giving you some clarity. By the rules the refs were within their rights.

There was a reward and the women decided to go on with it.

Look you can still feel hard done by but I'm just giving you some clarity. By the rules the refs were within their rights.
Yeah it's fucked up wording, that's what I said. It needs to be changed. I want to see aggressive defence rewarded, like it used to be. It's only the last few seasons they've been reffing it that way. Change the rule back to what it used to be, if both their legs are off the ground then call held. If they can't find the ground bad luck.

Active Now

• Broncosgirl
  • Johnny92
  • Foordy
  • Allo
  • Bish
  • Redux
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Behold
  • Porthoz
  • Mick_Hancock
  • Skathen
  • Mr Fourex
  • Accept
  • ChewThePhatt
  • bazza
  • Hurrijo
  • Pablo
  • winslow_wong
  • NSW stables
... and 8 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.