The "held" Rule

Yeah it's fucked up wording, that's what I said. It needs to be changed. I want to see aggressive defence rewarded, like it used to be. It's only the last few seasons they've been reffing it that way. Change the rule back to what it used to be, if both their legs are off the ground then call held. If they can't find the ground bad luck.

The rule changed 13 years ago. Ball carriers weren't being protected and defensive sides were doing everything to exploit it. Again if you're fine with that more power to you but they got it right this arvo.

The rule changed 13 years ago. Ball carriers weren't being protected and defensive sides were doing everything to exploit it. Again if you're fine with that more power to you but they got it right this arvo.
Wtf do you mean ball carriers weren't being protected? They aren't meant to be protected. It's not netball.

Wtf do you mean ball carriers weren't being protected? They aren't meant to be protected. It's not netball.

The most prolific example was Fitzhenry who broke his collarbone because of that tackle but there were plenty of examples where teams would hold a player up and find a way to injure them. It wasn't safe and it was just another way for teams to slow things down.

The most prolific example was Fitzhenry who broke his collarbone because of that tackle but there were plenty of examples where teams would hold a player up and find a way to injure them. It wasn't safe and it was just another way for teams to slow things down.
Wasn't that when they were picking them up and carrying them back before dumping them? That's a different thing entirely.

What do you mean slow things down? If the play is still going how is it being slowed down? Is there something wrong with the defence managing to slow a play down? Isn't it part of the game?

The player is tackled or held when they cannot make anymore progress or part with the football. The referees will provide leeway if there is momentum in the tackle.
Was there not momentum today? I'd say there was a shitload of momentum if they managed to push her 10m.

Wasn't that when they were picking them up and carrying them back before dumping them? That's a different thing entirely.
Yep, that's when the both feet off the ground rule came in.

That was one part of it but that's when they tightened up how far the defence was allowed to push backwards.

What do you mean slow things down? If the play is still going how is it being slowed down? Is there something wrong with the defence managing to slow a play down? Isn't it part of the game?

Instead of a tackle lasting say 5 seconds you're giving the defence the incentive to extend it as long as possible. It's why the stripping rule is controversial because referees are extending the tackle under the guise that players are advancing by breaking tackles when in reality, the ball carrier just wants to play the ball.

Rugby League is under enough criticism for it's speed of the ruck, to give the defence more leeway would just make the situation worse.

Was there not momentum today? I'd say there was a shitload of momentum if they managed to push her 10m.

They were given leeway which is why they gave them 5m before calling held and they carried on for another 10m.

Rugby League is under enough criticism for it's speed of the ruck, to give the defence more leeway would just make the situation worse.

They were given leeway which is why they gave them 5m before calling held and they carried on for another 10m.

No way. You know there's a difference between that and bullshit wrestling techniques.

I know which product I'd rather watch. It's a fucking soft interpretation which shouldn't float. Don't even try to compare it to slowing down of the ruck. It's complete and utter 100% domination.

No way. You know there's a difference between that and bullshit wrestling techniques.

I know which product I'd rather watch. It's a fucking soft interpretation which shouldn't float. Don't even try to compare it to slowing down of the ruck. It's complete and utter 100% domination.

I know teams will take your interpretation and will exploit it, just like they did with the stripping rule.

And each to their own, I don't want to see mauls in Rugby League.

I know teams will take your interpretation and will exploit it, just like they did with the stripping rule.

And each to their own, I don't want to see mauls in Rugby League.

What do you mean stripping rule?

lol with only 13 blokes on the field there's no way mauls will creep into RL. As soon as attacker finds the ground it would be all over for the defence. You are reaching now.

Last edited:
lol with only 13 blokes on the field there's no way mauls will creep into RL. As soon as attacker finds the ground it would be all over for the defence. You are reaching now.

Yes, it would be much like the Rugby League's interpretation of a scrum which is also farcical. At the end of the day, you're still incentivising players to hold players upright as long as possible extending each tackle, allowing the defensive sides to reform their line and turning the game into a boring grind. If that's what you prefer, more power to you. I'd much rather see a quicker ruck.

I honestly don't think it's a reach to be careful what you wish for with this game.

Anyways, I've made my point. According to the rules, the referees made a fair decision. If you dislike those rules, more power to you, but that's the way things are.

Active Now

• KateBroncos1812
  • Lozza
  • lynx000
  • Aldo
  • Allo
  • BroncosAlways
  • Pablo
  • Nerd
  • Broncorob
  • Behind enemy lines
  • winslow_wong
  • Broncosgirl
  • Jazza
  • GCBRONCO
  • thenry
  • john1420
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.