The Macca Issue

Alec

International Rep
Just to be clear, nobody is asking that much of them. Just a direct improvement over McCullough which really shouldn't be asking much.

Dearden is at a completely different stage of his career to those players, so that's a poor comparison.
Well they have shown direct improvement. It not always necessarily showing it on the scoreboard just means the team couldn't always make use of the better service and more creative and energetic play.

Purple Pills

QCup Player
Michael Ennis is the one journo who is very critical and exasperated with his play, I love when he comentates our game, Parker has started to get on board too.....have hope folks, the ride is turning!
Ennis’ criticism of Macca holds a lot of weight too considering he is a grand final winning and rep number 9. Surprised we didn’t beat Canberra to the punch and get someone like him working with our dummy halves. Although if he had to work with McCullough, you could bet your bottom dollar Mick would be on Seibs ear saying “your best chance of winning is to start Turpin with Segeyaro getting 20-30 mins in the second half”

Purple Pills

QCup Player
I actually thought Macca played better at 7 the other week.

He suits the 7 role better than the 9. He could play a bit like Cronk does for Roosters at the moment.
Change ‘at the moment’ with ‘in the 2018 GF’ and I’ll agree whole heartedly. The less Macca touches the ball in attack the better.

Does Macca even engage the markers? His speed plus this is probably one of the main reasons our forwards don’t get over the advantage line until our better 9’s come onto the field.

Big Pete

International Captain
Brisbane
Well they have shown direct improvement. It not always necessarily showing it on the scoreboard just means the team couldn't always make use of the better service and more creative and energetic play.
If it isn't tangible, then I wouldn't consider it a direct improvement. Turpin and Segeyaro may pass the eye test for most, but outside of that run of victories they're not putting forward an undeniable argument. There's holes there and it would be willfully ignorant to turn a blind eye to those figures.

Unless something drastic happens, I can't see the Broncos ridding themselves of that lingering doubt. McCullough will continue to feature in the 17, so the others won't get to put forward a fair sample size to make an effective argument.

Ennis’ criticism of Macca holds a lot of weight too considering he is a grand final winning and rep number 9.
Also carries a slice of 'I told you so'. It prevents him from being an impartial judge, but makes his criticisms more justified considering they worked together.

McHunt

NRL Player
Sunshine Coast
Unless something drastic happens, I can't see the Broncos ridding themselves of that lingering doubt. McCullough will continue to feature in the 17, so the others won't get to put forward a fair sample size to make an effective argument.
Macca is a septic wound who drains the life force out of this team. If he's still around next year, we should jump ship and follow the Storm. **** a club that runs a halfway house for mediocrity.

Kimlo

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
Macca is a septic wound who drains the life force out of this team. If he's still around next year, we should jump ship and follow the Storm. **** a club that runs a halfway house for mediocrity.
I'd rather give Macca a 10 year extension than ever cheer for that shit stain grub club that is a cancer on rugby league. No one has done more damage to league than the Storm with their grubbery.

Last edited:

theshed

NRL Player
It would be interesting to see how our forwards perform during the time each of our 3 hooking options are on the field.

Avg metres, avg PCM, avg set metres etc

I bleed Maroon

State of Origin Captain
I would've thought Ennis has every right to have a bit of "I told you so" headwobble about him. He was 3 times the Hooker Macca is and the proof is in the pudding.

Big Pete

International Captain
Brisbane
Ennis is entitled to say whatever he wants but there's a bitterness behind his statements. I don't think it's necessarily coming from a place of being a premiership winning dummy half, rather a place of being an ex-Bronco with an axe to grind.

Last edited:

Tom

State of Origin Rep
Ennis is entitled to say whatever he wants but there's a bitterness behind his statements. I don't think it's necessarily coming from a place of being a premiership winning dummy half, rather a place of being an ex-Bronco with an axe to grind.
Come on Pete, give us your thoughts on Macca and his place in our team. You're way too diplomatic. Is everybody wrong or does Macca have to go?

soup

State of Origin Rep
T’ba
Yeah, he was essentially replaced by Macca, so it makes some sense. With Hindsight, I’d have kept Ennis over Macca every day of the week. Actually, even without it. I loved having Ennis in our team.

Fernando

NRL Player
Bris
Nah not the Storm. Just whichever club Turpin is starting for ...

Last edited:

Foordy

International Rep
Staff
Yeah, he was essentially replaced by Macca, so it makes some sense. With Hindsight, I’d have kept Ennis over Macca every day of the week. Actually, even without it. I loved having Ennis in our team.
Isn't it his fault that he was replaced by Macca ... IIRC, he left us for a bigger offer from the Bulldogs

Big Pete

International Captain
Brisbane
Come on Pete, give us your thoughts on Macca and his place in our team. You're way too diplomatic. Is everybody wrong or does Macca have to go?
I've already said my piece, the club ought to move on. I just don't enjoy flogging a dead horse in multiple threads, I don't find it stimulating one way or another.

The reality of the situation is that it doesn't matter if you're right or wrong, the person in charge of making the decision has thrown his support behind McCullough staying another year. That decision is on him and whoever was responsible for negotiating the player option in the first place.

With Hindsight, I’d have kept Ennis over Macca every day of the week. Actually, even without it. I loved having Ennis in our team.
Absolutely, I just wonder if it was out of the club hands. I have the impression they didn't fight hard to keep him, but by the same token, I believe he only came to Brisbane because he wanted to play under Bennett.

For my money, he was one of the best players in the game in 2008. I could never say the same about McCullough, or a lot of Broncos really.

soup

State of Origin Rep
T’ba
By no stretch of the imagination am I Macca’s biggest fan as a skilled dummy half, but I must admit that some of the rhetoric being thrown around makes me embarrassed to be not only a broncos fan, but a sports fan in general.

Sure, performance isn’t overly measured by personality and I’m not bringing that into question as even his biggest detractors will support the type of bloke he is via impeccable values throughout his career.

Yes, for a competitive team, he needs to find another home to continue his career, or better still, retire and teach the next generation about commitment to the broncos brand.

I wish nothing but the best for him. He comes from a wonderful family and has exhibited utmost loyalty to his mat s and employer.

soup

State of Origin Rep
T’ba
Isn't it his fault that he was replaced by Macca ... IIRC, he left us for a bigger offer from the Bulldogs
Quite possibly mate. Who could blame him. At the end of the day it’s about supporting your family.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Twitter