The Manihera Myth

L

lissy

Aug 17, 2008
Hey girls and guys. From what I have seen in Queensland Cup and first grade he seems to struggle to find the line. All decent wingers should be good finishers, and frankly Manihera does not have this ability. He is also not the best under the high ball. He's one of the slowest wingers going around as well. Also on Friday night he bombed a try, he couldn't even draw and pass. He was very lucky to make the break in the first place. I just don't know why people rate him. He runs the ball back hard? Whoa, is that is only skill? Even then he's not that great at it. Stagg runs harder than him.
Thankyou for your time guys

I agree he does seem slow for a winger and I think it contributes to his inability to finish, still has more promise than Robinson however.

We all know Robinson isn't up to first grade standard. But people seem rate Manihera, I just don't see is? Is it because there are no other wingers in the squad? I watch a lot of Queensland Cup and Under 20s. I think Tim Yee is worth a shot on the wing. He plays for the Dolphins instead of the baby Broncos. He goes pretty damn good.
Yow Yeh and Tupou time will come next year.

lissy said:
We all know Robinson isn't up to first grade standard. But people seem rate Manihera, I just don't see is? Is it because there are no other wingers in the squad? I watch a lot of Queensland Cup and Under 20s. I think Tim Yee is worth a shot on the wing. He plays for the Dolphins instead of the baby Broncos. He goes pretty damn good.

I think Bennet knows better who is worth a shot.

broncospwn said:
lissy said:

Doesn't mean we can't have an opinion on the matter. And why are you so sure Bennett is right? There was a time Stu Kelly played on our wing too, surely there were better options then.

I really don't rate him at the moment. He hasn't been tested at all until the Dragons match, and he sorta failed both times there.

Scotty said:
broncospwn said:
lissy said:

Doesn't mean we can't have an opinion on the matter. And why are you so sure Bennett is right? There was a time Stu Kelly played on our wing too, surely there were better options then.

Fair enough, I love STUART KELLY!!!!

lissy said:
Hey girls and guys. From what I have seen in Queensland Cup and first grade he seems to struggle to find the line. All decent wingers should be good finishers, and frankly Manihera does not have this ability. He is also not the best under the high ball. He's one of the slowest wingers going around as well. Also on Friday night he bombed a try, he couldn't even draw and pass. He was very lucky to make the break in the first place. I just don't know why people rate him. He runs the ball back hard? Whoa, is that is only skill? Even then he's not that great at it. Stagg runs harder than him.
Thankyou for your time guys

Honestly, I'm just surprised because I haven't seen one person rate Manihera yet.

I will say ONE thing for him, though. I actually think he's much better than Boyd was when he had his first year in first grade. WB definitely has an eye for picking talent, and I think we've just got another winger on our hands here who is taking a bit of time to grow in experience and confidence.

I rate Boyd as an extremely solid NRL-standard winger these days, but geez it took him some time! I have every reason to think and hope that Manihera will get there one of these days too.

Well if the press is right he wont be at the Broncos next year anyway.

Burg said:

Yeah exactly. And Robinson will definitely be gone.

Seems that the influence of Bennett is the only reason they're at the club.

ethos said:
Burg said:

Yeah exactly. And Robinson will definitely be gone.

Seems that the influence of Bennett is the only reason they're at the club.

I heard that Henjak really rates Manihera eusa_think

Manihera is solid at best. I for one, wouldn't object to seeing tim yee on the wing. Or else locate tom hewitt and see if he can cut it.

if Manihera was to lose his wing spot i would like to see Yow Yee get a shot, he has scored plenty of tries in the u20's

I rate Manihera, definitely one of the better wingers we have since the Lote/Dell days...... purely because he is mistake free and has a great work rate! can't ask for much more. His job isn't to deliver the firepower that Hunt, Hodges, Kemp and Michaels have..... more just to know his place in the team and do his job. Which i think he is fantastic at.

Not a lot between Manihera and Robinson IMO. Doesn't really matter that much which one we go for. Both are adequate without being great. Neither have blinding speed or are classy finishers. Despite this I don't believe we should be promoting anyone from the 20's or Q Cup at this stage, barring injuries/suspensions.

Manihera 9 games, 5 line breaks, 2 tries, 7 errors.

Robinson 13 games, 10 line breaks, 4 tries, 10 errors.

Manihera is doing the job that's asked of him. Add Michaels and Folau to the squad and there's no place for him, provided we don't lose Boyd.

Hunt
Folau
Michaels
Hodges
Boyd

If we lose Boyd, then Manihera will battle with a (hopefully) fit Tom Hewitt next season.

Not up to first grade standard? Balls. He's a perfectly capable first grader. Game breaking, match turning, match winning? No, not at this point and hard to imagine he would be with his lack of pace or athleticism.

Argus said:
Not a lot between Manihera and Robinson IMO. Doesn't really matter that much which one we go for. Both are adequate without being great. Neither have blinding speed or are classy finishers. Despite this I don't believe we should be promoting anyone from the 20's or Q Cup at this stage, barring injuries/suspensions.

Manihera 9 games, 5 line breaks, 2 tries, 7 errors.

Robinson 13 games, 10 line breaks, 4 tries, 10 errors.

The majority of Robinson's 10 line breaks have come courtesy of Hodgo earlier in the year when we were playing really well. I wouldnt read too much into that stat [icon_lol1.

Manihera is taling with Souths and the Bulldogs. Good luck to the kid.
Too much class in the under 20's for him to hold a spot next year.

Active Now

• Porthoz
  • ivanhungryjak
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.