The media

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Have they gone too far this series?

Sure, there's always been a bit of banter but the back-page for the past few games has just been petty back and forths from both states.

NSW calling Cam Smith a phony, Queensland calling NSW the worst side of all-time, NSW calling the Queenslander's grubs and now Queensland calling Gal a drug cheat.

While it adds to the theatre, none of these journos have to run out to the field on Wednesday and seem to be getting awfully personal.

Are they going too far?

It's over the top garbage, but there's people out there who eat it up, so they'll keep doing it.

News is a business more than ever, nowadays.

Have they gone too far this series?

Sure, there's always been a bit of banter but the back-page for the past few games has just been petty back and forths from both states.

NSW calling Cam Smith a phony, Queensland calling NSW the worst side of all-time, NSW calling the Queenslander's grubs and now Queensland calling Gal a drug cheat.

While it adds to the theatre, none of these journos have to run out to the field on Wednesday and seem to be getting awfully personal.

Are they going too far?
Depends if you read them. I generally avoid the news all together. It's 99% clickbait/inflammatory rubbish, if it's really important enough I'll hear about it through other avenues, like right here on BHQ.

I agree the slights against Hodgo's good nature have been a bit cheap, but I don't know how you could think calling Gallen a drug cheat is going too far. If anything it's not going too far enough.

If they wanted to present a fair and balanced perspective on the man picked to lead NSW they should have referred to him as a stitch-ripping squirrel-gripping coward-punching floor-pissing cheap-shotting diving whinging self-admitted drug cheat who is the losingest State of Origin captain of all time. Dead set, this NSW team is a dirty pair of undies under the bed of the NRL, and Captain Peptides is nothing more than a dirty wet skidmark right up the middle.

I agree the slights against Hodgo's good nature have been a bit cheap, but I don't know how you could think calling Gallen a drug cheat is going too far. If anything it's not going too far enough.

If they wanted to present a fair and balanced perspective on the man picked to lead NSW they should have referred to him as a stitch-ripping squirrel-gripping coward-punching floor-pissing cheap-shotting diving whinging self-admitted drug cheat who is the losingest State of Origin captain of all time. Dead set, this NSW team is a dirty pair of undies under the bed of the NRL, and Captain Peptides is nothing more than a dirty wet skidmark right up the middle.
Now this is news I'd like to read everyday :laugh:

Yes.

Holy shit! Post of the year!

Can I quote you... please?

Here's my problem with it.

If it was somebody involved in the match, I could understand it as far as building heat but the media have no influence of the game so who is really getting over here? If anything they're damaging the reputation of the game by saying things like 'This is the worst team ever' or 'this guy is a drug cheat' because it paints the game in a negative light.

Origin will draw in spite of itself but if the NRL knew what's best, they'd reign them in because these articles are doing far more bad than good.

And that's because they're terrible at their jobs and get stonewalled for asking dumb questions about DCE which were always going to get treated one way. Their inability to draw a compelling reaction from their interviewees is telling and right now we've got one of the most boring Origin builds in one time where the media is trying to get themselves over.

Gallen is such a cheat, he played the entire Origin campaign last year while suspended! Could be the biggest cheat in sporting history. Fifa could have blamed him for their scandals and we would have accepted that.

It is way over the top. Both Origin camps spend the week trying to influence the referees and calling each other grubs, thugs and any other name they can get away with. The entertainment is the actual game not the garbage the media push for a week before each game. It has gone past a bit of friendly banter now. Social media has made it worse with the meme craze and constant abuse between the two supporter bases online.

The media just have to play to the fans and public it's not their job to be informative. I just avoid it at all costs.

If they wanted to present a fair and balanced perspective on the man picked to lead NSW they should have referred to him as a stitch-ripping squirrel-gripping coward-punching floor-****ing cheap-shotting diving whinging self-admitted drug cheat who is the losingest State of Origin captain of all time. Dead set, this NSW team is a dirty pair of undies under the bed of the NRL, and Captain Peptides is nothing more than a dirty wet skidmark right up the middle.

Gallen is such a cheat, he played the entire Origin campaign last year while suspended! Could be the biggest cheat in sporting history. Fifa could have blamed him for their scandals and we would have accepted that.

Big words from a guy that supports a team that is lead by a bloke who lead a team through the worst excuse of cheating in the games history and ruined 4 years for everyone else, a guy that loves niggle more than anyone else (Hodges), a guy that assaulted his girlfriend (Inglis), a guy that headbuts in tackles (Myles) a guy that uses his studs as a shield (Slater) a guy that accused the NRL of match fixing and called them corrupt (Thurston).

I can go on forever

Big words from a guy that supports a team that is lead by a bloke who lead a team through the worst excuse of cheating in the games history and ruined 4 years for everyone else, a guy that loves niggle more than anyone else (Hodges), a guy that assaulted his girlfriend (Inglis), a guy that headbuts in tackles (Myles) a guy that uses his studs as a shield (Slater) a guy that accused the NRL of match fixing and called them corrupt (Thurston).

I can go on forever

Who gives a ****, you have Bird & Gallen. end of.

If they wanted to present a fair and balanced perspective on the man picked to lead NSW they should have referred to him as a stitch-ripping squirrel-gripping coward-punching floor-****ing cheap-shotting diving whinging self-admitted drug cheat who is the losingest State of Origin captain of all time. Dead set, this NSW team is a dirty pair of undies under the bed of the NRL, and Captain Peptides is nothing more than a dirty wet skidmark right up the middle.

Who gives a ****, you have Bird & Gallen. end of.

EDIT

QLD is classy

Last edited by a moderator:
f6a6af7edd9fc057a1fa1233e186dbb4.jpg

EDIT

QLD is classy

Seriously? our fanbase, I mean seriously?

I wouldn't go throwing the word classy around with the comments you have just made. I'm sure NSW are stoked to have a homophobic little prick like yourself as part of their fanbase.

Last edited by a moderator:

Active Now

• Mustafur
  • Harry Sack
  • Sproj
  • big k
  • Bish
  • Johnny92
  • Skyblues87
  • Foordy
  • Galah
  • BroncoFan94
  • Culhwch
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Broncosgirl
  • Matheos
  • bb_gun
  • BruiserMk1
  • Organix
  • BroncosAlways
  • Jazza
  • GCBRONCO
... and 11 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.