The Michael Jennings Sin-Bin

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
I was really happy to see the referees finally do something about this. I always thought it was odd how a player could make a tackle that would see them suspended for six weeks but the victims would only receive a penalty and even then, only if they're lucky. In this instance, Jennings knocked Yeo out, Yeo played no further part and Penrith received the advantage of playing against 12 men.

Beautiful, love it.

My only concern is that Klein emphasised the injury. I hope that the referees will feel more confident in extending their yellow card policy. For instance, I wouldn't have an issue if Matt Lodge and Addin Fonua-Blake were carded for their dangerous hits. Also, I hope it doesn't stop at yellow cards either, and think for instances like the Dylan Napa tackle they use the red card.

Thoughts? Were Parramatta screwed or did the referees actually do something right on the weekend?

I was fine with it. I think the emphasis should still be on whether or not the player is able or unable to play any more part in the match.

So if the player is injured and leaves the field because of an illegal act, immediate 10 in the bin or send off, based on the severity and recklessness of the act. If the player is concussed and has to leave the field immediately for a HIA because of an illegal act, 10 in the bin every time.

The only grey area is if the player is injured or concussed, but doesn't stay down and leaves the field a few moments later, at that point it's at the discretion of the bunker and referees, if they deem it to be a heinous enough act, the bunker should be able to tip off the referees to stop play and issue a 10 in the bin, if it was a minor or innocuous incident, play on.

Also, we'll have to start worrying about players faking injury or concussions because they'll know the opposition player will get 10 in the bin, that's another that's going to just have to be monitored closely, if a player is deemed to have faked an injury or concussion to get an opposition player off the park, based on a review of the footage post-game, 2-4 week suspension.

Last edited:
Personally, I thought it was a bit rough as when he's committed to the tackle is when Yeo starts to fall - If he actually had tried to crack him in the head when upright he probably would've missed him altogether such was the angle he was on at the point of contact.

I hate Parra tho so i was hoping that turned the game in Penriths favour, sadly it didn't do it enough.

Last edited:
I am really happy with it, my only concern is it being based on injury/HIA to determine if the player goes off or not. I can already see coaches like Bellamy formulating there plan.

It’s not hard to see if a forward gets hit high Craig giving the order to stay down so they get ten minutes against 12 men and a free interchange.

They may as well call this the Napa rule after that cockhead's flying headbutt tackles on Sims and McC last year

I'm not sure too many would stay down because they may be ruled out for the rest of the game. 10 in the bin is balanced by a 3 man interchange.
Personally I think they should go further with it. I'd be happy with Jennings being replaced after 10 in the bin but not allowed back on the field. That way Penrith get full advantage of playing against 12 and Parra have the same interchange as Penrith after the bin.

Last edited:

Active Now

• ChewThePhatt
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Hurrijo
  • Thelmus
  • Jazza
  • Behind enemy lines
  • Broncosgirl
  • broncsgoat
  • broncs30
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Mustafur
  • Foordy
  • Xzei
  • Sproj
  • RolledOates
  • HarryAllan7
  • Battler
  • Financeguy
... and 2 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.