The motivation behind Sims' switch to Broncos

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
KORBIN Sims believes the Broncos will make him a better player, with his move to Brisbane motivated by his pursuit of a Maroons jersey.

The former Newcastle enforcer wore the Broncos colours for the first time since his under-20s days on Saturday night when he starred in the club’s 30-12 trial win over the Sharks.

It was a comeback that few saw coming after Sims was released from his final year with the Knights to join the Broncos two weeks ago.

But it was a move he knew he made to make to help his career.

While the 25-year-old says he was not unhappy at Newcastle, he saw an opportunity with Brisbane to not only improve his game but potentially put himself in the frame for a Queensland debut.

“It was an opportunity to further my career and hopefully push into a state selection,” said of his return to Brisbane.

“I’m looking to do that this year and to grow my game. Brisbane is the right place to do that.

“Being at Newcastle for nearly seven years and playing first grade for almost four years straight, it was always going to be a tough decision to leave. But moving forward, it’s the best option for me.”

Sims said he was chasing a front row spot at Brisbane but admitted the competition was tough as the forward pack showed on Saturday night.

Alongside Sims, Tevita Pangai Jnr, Herman Ese’ese, Joe Ofahengaue and George Fai all made impressive bids for a place in Wayne Bennett’s 17 this year.

Stalwart Alex Glenn was the only regular first grade forward in the side.

Sims said however he believes he can bring some much-needed controlled aggression to Brisbane and is ready to fight for a starting spot.

“If you’re not getting challenged for your spot then what’s the point of playing?,” he said.

“The forward pack that the Broncos put forward (on Saturday) was just outstanding. That’s a challenge you want to have in football.

“I’ve always loved Brisbane. I signed my first contract with Brisbane 10 years ago when I was a 15-year-old. It’s good to come back.

“It was very easy when Wayne and I chatted over the phone about coming back and he just said, ‘I’m more than happy to have you’.”

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...h/news-story/7dae6f9d6f88a22d1afea0682fd63efe

*Korbin dials Wayne Bennett's phone number*

Korbin: "Hello Wayne, I've been granted a release from Newcastle"

Bennett: [In monotone] "I'm more than happy to have you"

*Bennett immediately hangs up phone and resumes watching TV*

*Korbin dials Wayne Bennett's phone number*

Korbin: "Hello Wayne, I've been granted a release from Newcastle"

Bennett: [In monotone] "I'm more than happy to have you"

*Bennett immediately hangs up phone and resumes watching TV*

You just....know, that's how it went down.

Unread

Active Now

• Gaz
  • lynx000
  • Behold
  • bert_lifts
  • Mick_Hancock
  • broncsgoat
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • phoenix
  • Purple Pills
  • Mr Fourex
  • Foordy
  • TimWhatley
  • inwyn
  • Fozz
  • Xzei
  • winslow_wong
  • theshed
  • Johnny92
  • Skyblues87
... and 8 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.