The News Thread

Brisbane
Also, just to put it into some scale about how big this is compared to others.

1. Peshawar School massacre (Pakistan) 2014: 149 fatalities
  2. Garissa University (Kenya) 2015: 148 fatalities
  3. Paris nightclub attacks (France) 2015: 130
  4. Oslo and Utova attacks (Norway) 2011: 77
  5. Westgate shopping mall (Kenya) 2013: 67
  6. Uiryeong County shooting (South Korea) 1982: 58
  7. Christchurch Mosque Attacks (Christchurch, NZ) 2019: 50*
  8. Orlando nightclub shooting (Florida, US) 2016: 49
  9. Sousse beach shooting (Tunisia) 2015: 38
  10. Port Arthur Massacre (Tasmania, Australia) 1996: 35
* May still rise

Last edited:

broncos4life

International Rep
Brisbane
I still can’t get past that this shit stain chased down a 5 year old and murdered them. A 5 year old. My youngest is 5 and I just can’t move past this. How fucking horrifying that poor little kids last moments must have been. Anyone who had any involvement in this deserves to be physically ripped apart.

Brisbane
The Sunday Telegraph labelled the guy an "Australian racist".

Their front page had a picture of a 3 year old and said he was killed by an Australian racist. They won't even call him what he actually is.

A racist is someone that makes racial slurs. This guy is a fucking terrorist, no different to those ISIS scum.

Edit: Found the photo of the front page.

Last edited:
He is both a terrorist and a racist. He used terrorism to assert his racist views.

Al Qaeda, ISIL, Hezbollah, etc... use terrorism to assert their religious views.
Would you be upset if they showed a kid's photo saying he was slain by a religious fanatic (even though it was by means of terrorism)?

Tom

State of Origin Rep
He is both a terrorist and a racist. He used terrorism to assert his racist views.

Al Qaeda, ISIL, Hezbollah, etc... use terrorism to assert their religious views.
Would you be upset if they showed a kid's photo saying he was slain by a religious fanatic (even though it was by means of terrorism)?
Strictly speaking muslims are not a race. Racist is the wrong word for the journo to use and a journo should know that.

Last edited:
Strictly speaking muslims are not a race. Racist is the wrong word for the journo to use and a journo should know that.
If you read the news and what his manifesto says, his problem is not just muslims, it's non-whites. That he sees muslims as the biggest threat is of course thanks to the current alt-right rhetoric. The word is absolutely correct.

Reactions: Tom

Ironbroncos

QCup Player
NZ
Sad day for NZ.

First heard of this whilst on my way to work on Friday round 2:30ish in the arvo on talkback radio talking about the Bangledash cricket team having narrowly escaping something happening at a mosque in Christchurch.
Slowly but surely within the next 2 hours everything became more apparent. Youtubed the video once I had heard he had livestreamed something; and although I was kind of desensitised, it still was f%^kd up for reals.
They cancelled a super rugby game, the annual secondary schools Polynesian festival, Bryan Adams concert, St Pats day celebrations, Warriors game still went ahead though..

As a born & bred kiwi you'd think it couldnt happen, but when it does, damn, sh#t is real.

R.I.P. to all who lost their lives.

Tom

State of Origin Rep
If you read the news and what his manifesto says, his problem is not just muslims, it's non-whites. That he sees muslims as the biggest threat is of course thanks to the current alt-right rhetoric. The word is absolutely correct.
Nevertheless, I believe terrorist would have been a more appropriate word to use. Or at the very least both words.

Nevertheless, I believe terrorist would have been a more appropriate word to use. Or at the very least both words.
Both would have been better of course. It doesn't make the journo wrong, as it actually points towards the reason (xenophobia in this case) behind the terrorism act.

P.S. It's probably a good thing too, as radical nationalism has been flying under the radar with all the focus on Muslim extremism.

Last edited:
Petition against Fraser Anning has broken the change.org record and is growing incredibly fast, standing to reach 1.5 millions signatures by the end of today.

It won't result in any action, as a parliament member can't actually be removed that easily, but it's good to know people won't stand for that bigotry!

https://www.change.org/p/the-prime-minister-remove-fraser-anning-from-parliament/u/24303443

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal/more-than-800-000-sign-petition-to-have-anning-removed-from-parliament-20190316-p514rl.html

Browny

State of Origin Captain
Drunk
As much as Fraser Anning is a dick I’m not liking the fact everyone is soo flippant about eggboi attacking him.

And yes Anning and Co overreacted, as his initial reaction could be construed as self defence but not the rest.

Charge both for assault otherwise watch more eggs etc being used on people’s opinion they don’t agree with

Tom

State of Origin Rep
As much as Fraser Anning is a dick I’m not liking the fact everyone is soo flippant about eggboi attacking him.

And yes Anning and Co overreacted, as his initial reaction could be construed as self defence but not the rest.

Charge both for assault otherwise watch more eggs etc being used on people’s opinion they don’t agree with
My thoughts exactly. People have actually been raising this kid money. It was nearly up to $40k last I read, and the website has said "most" of it will go to the christchurch victims but that could mean anything. What kind of message is this actually sending?

ivanhungryjak

NRL Captain
Suncorp Stadium
As much as Anning is a dick, he was elected according to the rules in place (It’s ridiculous that somebody can get in on 19 votes but here we are).
Until somebody decides to reform the senate, you can’t whinge when somebody you don’t like gets in and says/does something you don’t agree with. A change petition means three fifths of stuff all, really.

Browny

State of Origin Captain
Drunk
That’s the other side of my gripe, a petition and a censure is the equivalent of a letter from the UN to Kim Jong saying he’s very naughty.