The old rumours of factions within the team

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
Does anybody remember all the stories that were coming out during Hook's time of factions within the team?

I vaguely remember there being mention that the Kiwi players were splitting away from the rest of the team. On top of that there was the Ben Hannent/Wallace situation.

Its irrelevant now, and if it was even true to begin with, hopefully its gone under Wayne but I'm just curious if a few years on, any of you know much about what was happening?

What was the go with Hannant and Wallace?

*Ninja'd by soup.

I've heard from a reliable source that Milf/Hunt had some ego problems. Not sure about factions, though.

Hannant was allegedly demoted for telling Wallace to ask for more money.

Allegedly...

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...t/news-story/8bb18e142a56add1df68539981052df2

ROOKIE front-rower Jarrod Wallace has emerged as a central figure in the contract inquiry that led to a showdown between Broncos coach Anthony Griffin and prop Ben Hannant.
As the Broncos prepare to clash with the Titans on Friday night, The Courier-Mail can reveal a Broncos faction believes Hannant attempted to drive Wallace out of the club.
The first ruction occurred a fortnight ago, when Wallace, who will make his starting debut against his former Titans club, approached Hannant seeking career advice.

Brisbane Broncos coach Anthony Griffin denies he has a strained relationship with Ben Hannant after the prop was dropped for this weekend's clash with the Cowboys.
Off-contract at season’s end, the 22-year-old has a second child on the way and asked Hannant to gauge his market value as he prepared to enter contract talks with the Broncos.
Hannant, who is Brisbane’s Rugby League Players Association delegate, gave Wallace a ballpark figure and advised him to do the best thing for his family.
But the informal advice sparked the ire of Griffin, who summoned Hannant to his office and subsequently axed him for last week’s clash against the Cowboys.

Hannant has since been recalled to face the Titans, but Broncos officialdom believe the Wallace incident is proof the former Test prop is advising players not to stay at Red Hill.
Hannant argues otherwise, pointing out former front-row legends Shane Webcke and Petero Civoniceva routinely gave career advice and mentoring to younger Broncos.
Griffin insists there is no rift with the 29-year-old, but it appears increasingly unlikely Hannant and Wallace will both be on Brisbane’s books next season.
With the front-row colleagues playing for their Broncos futures, Brisbane co-captain Corey Parker said he had no issue with senior players offering career advice.
But Parker, who manages himself, admitted he would be concerned if any advice was used to brainwash younger colleagues.

If you’re asking me about younger players talking to old players, I don’t see a drama in that,” Parker said.
“I’d like to think I have a door-open policy. If someone here at the Broncos has a question, it doesn’t matter who it is, then I would be happy to talk to them.
“But it all depends on the agenda. As long as senior players aren’t trying to force players out of a club, I don’t see an issue.
“I would like to think a senior player can offer (younger teammates) some valuable advice.”

The young father plays his 16th career game on Friday and has already had to leave one club, the Titans, to secure a regular first-grade berth.
The raw-boned prop told The Courier-Mail last week he hoped to stay at the Broncos to remain close to family support networks.
“I just need to get on the field and do as much as I can. I need to impress everyone here,” he said.
“My little girl is growing so fast and is just so full of life and I have another kid coming.
“I’m hoping I can stay at the Broncos.”

Hannant was allegedly demoted for telling Wallace to ask for more money.

Allegedly...

Sounds like it, Wallace approached Hannant for advice, Hannant and Griffin had their issues already and talk was he wasn't wanted at the club and that probably contributed to it.

Hannant just advised Wallace that he thought he was worth more money. Nothing wrong with that. The elder players are often lookup upon when it comes to contract decision times for players.

Hannant just advised Wallace that he thought he was worth more money. Nothing wrong with that. The elder players are often lookup upon when it comes to contract decision times for players.

Agreed, in fact I would be more concerned if younger players felt they couldn't approach the older, more experienced players for career advice personally. Sure there will be players with grudges occasionally, but you want an environment where leadership is on offer. You don't want one where the younger players feel they can't approach them.

I don't have an issue with Hannant for advising Wallace.

I do have an issue with him being an overpaid middle forward who never lived up to his potential and left the club at the first sign of a good pay-day not once but twice.

Then to rub salt in the wound, he negotiates a reasonable deal to be a bench forward for the Cowboys where he manages to put in far more than he ever did at the Broncos, helping them win their maiden grand final over the Broncos...

He maybe a contender for my least favourite Bronco.

Yeah the Webcke 2.0 they never really lived up to it

Pretty sure there was a little faction at the club at one stage. Oates, Reed, Hunt and a few others are pretty tight.

He maybe a contender for my least favourite Bronco.

Beale, Hoffman, Norman (mixture of his attitude and Griffin being a terrible coach), Kennedy, Ashton Sims are all up there. I'm going with Hoffman as the early front runner tho. Oh yeah, add Peter Wallace in there as well.

Pretty sure there was a little faction at the club at one stage. Oates, Reed, Hunt and a few others are pretty tight.

There have been a number over the years. There has been talk that Wally Lewis had his inner circle and I have heard younger players at the time felt he and the others were unapproachable at times while he was captain.

Corey Parker was meant to be unapproachable and a massive dickhead to young players.
Hodgo was notoriously brutal to wingers but I think they still all respected and liked him (not so sure if Maranta was a big fan though haha).
There was stories of Hunt, Macca, Oates and Reed being cliquey, while Glenn, Beale, Kahu, and other kiwi players were rumoured to have seen themselves as separate to the rest of the team.

I was just wondering if any one had any more info on what was actually going on though?

I was just wondering if any one had any more info on what was actually going on though?

It would be incredibly surprising if some people didn't get on better with some than others, especially people that are incredibly driven and competitive. So there's that, and then there's "Journalists" doing this:

Target.jpg

There have been a number over the years. There has been talk that Wally Lewis had his inner circle and I have heard younger players at the time felt he and the others were unapproachable at times while he was captain.

Wally Lewis has admitted himself that alot of people in the game and the media thought he was a pig of a man. He has said he was always worried about having a seizure in front of them or something. He felt there was a stigma about epilepsy.

Corey Parker is unapproachable and a massive dickhead

FTFY

Heaps of anecdotal evidence. Dude is just not a people person I suppose.

It's pretty easy to see who's mates with who with social media around. Most of the 'older' guys are tight because they all have families and are the same age - Moose, Gillo, Hunt etc. Kiwis have and generally do stick to themselves which there's no issue imo. Glenn and Kahu are basically brothers now.

Roberts seems to be hanging with the younger boys (Arrow and the like) but that could just be team-related actions (pre/post training).

I honestly don't think there's any damaging factions, barring the whole 'Rat' saga that seems to be resolved anyway.

Players are still people and they gravitate to who they like. You can still be teammates with someone you don't like. It's only when that player isn't performing that things may come up. That's when it's up to the captain/leadership group (provided they aren't the issue) to stamp it out

It's like any workplace, you'll have those you get along with more than others. Especially the singlies or the marriedies

Active Now

• ivanhungryjak
  • Porthoz
  • bert_lifts
  • Battler
  • matthewransom34@ic
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.