The Queensland Halfback

Jeba

Jeba

International
Mar 4, 2008
So I think it's pretty well assured that Thurston will be wearing the coveted #6 jersey this year. But we need a new halfback.

It looked certain to be Cooper Cronk, and probably is still certain to be Cooper Cronk. But with the way Daly Cherry-Evans has played over the first 2 rounds of the season, could he mount a case for the bolter's selection?

Discuss over the next 2 months ;-)

Measured strictly as individual players, I think there's a strong case for Cherry-Evans. Considering what's best for the team though, the choice is quite simple -- Slater will be fullback and Cam Smith will be hooker.

Cronk will be best suited for us this year at least .... our structure will be much better and he'll also have the added advantage of the understanding with Smith/Slater.

Daly - if he keeps this form up - will take Cooper's bench spot, unless JT or Cooper are injured in which case he'll come into the run on side.

Cooper and JT have done nothing to warrant being replaced and big Mal won't just replace them because he can.

Ben Barba, Chris Sandow, Scott Prince, are the other guys with a chance at the bench utility spot I reckon.

Scott Prince can't be anywhere near this team. He's a diving sook not worthy of Origin.

It has to be Cronk, has runs on the board over many seasons at club and Origin level. Plus the Melbourne combination with Smith and Slater - it's a no brainer really.

Ben Barba, Chris Sandow, Scott Prince, are the other guys with a chance at the bench utility spot I reckon.

Barba, Sandow and Prince should never be on the bench in Origin. The only reason the selection of Berrigan/Cronk in that utility spot worked in recent years is because they were tough enough to defend in the backrow. The former three aren't good enough defenders to hold down that position. Interestingly though, DCE's defence is great - wouldn't look out of place in the #14 at all.

Barba, Sandow and Prince should never be on the bench in Origin. The only reason the selection of Berrigan/Cronk in that utility spot worked in recent years is because they were tough enough to defend in the backrow. The former three aren't good enough defenders to hold down that position. Interestingly though, DCE's defence is great - wouldn't look out of place in the #14 at all.

I have to agree here ethos. I highly doubt we will ever see a QLD or Test jersey on Sandow or Barba. Barba is an above average attacker at best and whilst Sandow has some great flair he has huge defensive issues and forces plays when under pressure. I can't see these two being selected anytime soon.

Cooper Cronk is the most likely replacement for you lot. I laughed when Rickkets said Sandow was an origin hopeful WTF that kid isn't close to rep quality and he would get smashed in origin.

Cooper Cronk is the most likely replacement for you lot. I laughed when Rickkets said Sandow was an origin hopeful WTF. The NSW team isn't close to rep quality and they get smashed in origin.

Agreed ;)

Settle down mate it was a joke, banter, taking the piss etc

mind you I haven't made anything up

i agree that we don't need the half utility on the bench, but QLD have done it before and they'll do it again, so I'm just going by the selectors style

I'd love it if they go with a smokin gun like Matt Gillett! Woot!

Can we please get Broncoman out of this thread?

Cronk has to be first choice, followed by DCE. Daylight 3rd and 4th.

DCE is an insane player. He is the next Andrew Johns if you ask me

Active Now

• Tim K
  • BroncosAlways
  • Dash
  • Morkel
  • mrtij
  • Redux
  • Jazza
  • ChewThePhatt
  • cento
  • FACTHUNT
  • Painin the Haas
  • Brocko
  • Manofoneway
  • Foordy
  • Johnny92
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Astro
  • bert_lifts
  • LittleDavey
  • Bucking Beads
... and 22 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.