The random question thread

Brisbane
Genuine question: When people are selected for Jury Duty in Australia, is it completely random, or is it the dodgy system you see in TV Law dramas where both parties select half the jury each, deliberaly selecting people with pre-conceived bias?
Similar setup. They need to make sure you don't hate X type of person before they put you in front of X type of person. Keeping a KKK member off a black man's trial is probably a desire.

Similar setup. They need to make sure you don't hate X type of person before they put you in front of X type of person. Keeping a KKK member off a black man's trial is probably a desire.
Who selects? The legal system or do the prosecution & defendant get half each?

Who selects? The legal system or do the prosecution & defendant get half each?
Could've changed since I did mine, but I believe the set-up was they get about 30 potential jurors in the room and randomly call numbers for them to come up and walk to the jurors stand, the defense and prosecution each has "x" amount of vetos. If you make it to the jurors stand before either of them say anything, you're a juror, if either the defense or prosecution don't like the look of you, or you don't fit the bill for the kind of juror they want, they can veto you, and you just keep walking and go back in to the pool of 30.

Could've changed since I did mine, but I believe the set-up was they get about 30 potential jurors in the room and randomly call numbers for them to come up and walk to the jurors stand, the defense and prosecution each has "x" amount of vetos. If you make it to the jurors stand before either of them say anything, you're a juror, if either the defense or prosecution don't like the look of you, or you don't fit the bill for the kind of juror they want, they can veto you, and you just keep walking and go back in to the pool of 30.
Which is what worries me. It’s effectively choosing a jury. It’s hardly a random selection of jurors that would give a hopefully even cross-section of society. Having both sides of the case able to select just means potentially you’re going to have two extreme sides trying to reach a decision. It just seems wrong.

Tom

State of Origin Rep
Do they ask personal questions or do they veto just based on the look of you?

Which is what worries me. It’s effectively choosing a jury. It’s hardly a random selection of jurors that would give a hopefully even cross-section of society. Having both sides of the case able to select just means potentially you’re going to have two extreme sides trying to reach a decision. It just seems wrong.
The lawyers don't select, they veto members who they think would be biased towards the other side. It's different from being able to take their pick of the jurors.
This actually stops the jury from being on 2 extreme sides and affords a better balance, provided one of the lawyers doesn't suck at jury selection.

Do they ask personal questions or do they veto just based on the look of you?
Certainly didn't ask questions in the one I was in, they literally just looked at people like hawks as they walked to the jurors table, if for whatever reason you weren't what they were looking for (Age? Gender?) they vetoed.

Jedhead

NRL Player
Anyone know how to strip copper plate from brass window handles? I soaked them in 5 parts white vinegar 1 Part hydrogen peroxide and it sort of worked to a degree. I'm wondering if anyone knows a better method.

When was the last time you mooned someone? When was the last time someone mooned you? How come nobody does it anymore?
I mooned my wife on the weekend as she was returning home from the shops while I was out the front. You have to do it casual-like. Not a full "fruitbowl" moon, just pants down enough to get the cheeks out, act like "oops, didn't see you coming, what a silly accident".

Kids think it's fucking hilarious. Wife glares.

Tom

State of Origin Rep
I mooned my wife on the weekend as she was returning home from the shops while I was out the front. You have to do it casual-like. Not a full "fruitbowl" moon, just pants down enough to get the cheeks out, act like "oops, didn't see you coming, what a silly accident".

Kids think it's fucking hilarious. Wife glares.
I haven't done it, seen it done, or even heard of it being done in so long. Next time someone pisses me off they are copping an eyeful. I'm bringing it back.

Brisbane
When was the last time you mooned someone? When was the last time someone mooned you? How come nobody does it anymore?
We got remote view cameras installed a few months back. My mother at home kept logging in. So I rang her, and said, can you please login and check, I think they're broken, so I dropped my dacks, so when the image appear on her screen, my ass was there.