The random question thread

Kimlo

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
I've tried that. It says there are no plans available for this search.
I was doing this stuff recently for electricity. For QLD anyway the best plan I could find by far was Origin Electricity basic access or "One Low Rate" or something like that. It had no bullshit % discounts or any of that misleading shit, just a lower per KW rate than anything else, and when I worked it out on the KW used, it easily beat any of the 28% and 31% "energy discounts" as it was already over 31% cheaper on the actual base rate and daily service charge was equal or lower.

Essentially to cut the crap you need to work it out like this

Daily service charge - If it's $1 a day, you are paying $90 per quarter even if you have the power switched off at the box the whole quarter. So you can always work out what the minimum bill is going to be.
Per KW charge
And Per KW charge after discount and see what's actually the lowest.

So if a plan is offering $1.95/KW with 31% discount and another is offering $1.28/KW no discount, you definitely want that one. The entire energy market is littered with confusing bullshit discounts to confuse people into thinking they're getting a better deal, as long as you know those basics, you should easily find the best deal. If you think you'll be using a very low KW amount, then the actual daily service charge becomes more important, but I found the service charge was very small between suppliers.

The only other thing worth noting is the best actual deals usually required direct debit as payment versus getting billed, so you are definitely charged more for flexible billing.

Gas - I don't know shit, don't have it, didn't look.

EDIT: Pretty sure this is what I signed up for like 2 months ago - https://www.originenergy.com.au/for-home/campaign/one-low-rate.html I think at the time they said they are discontinuing the plan but even when I looked at the website it said not available but they still were able to give me that plan over the phone. It's worth the call for sure.

Last edited:

Nashy

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
AGL have similar to the above too. Discounts are not usually discounts, and if you miss the bill by a day, you're paying heaps more.

Seems only the big guys offer no discount rates though.

Clintos

NRL Captain
Around
I was doing this stuff recently for electricity. For QLD anyway the best plan I could find by far was Origin Electricity basic access or "One Low Rate" or something like that. It had no bullshit % discounts or any of that misleading shit, just a lower per KW rate than anything else, and when I worked it out on the KW used, it easily beat any of the 28% and 31% "energy discounts" as it was already over 31% cheaper on the actual base rate and daily service charge was equal or lower.

Essentially to cut the crap you need to work it out like this

Daily service charge - If it's $1 a day, you are paying $90 per quarter even if you have the power switched off at the box the whole quarter. So you can always work out what the minimum bill is going to be.
Per KW charge
And Per KW charge after discount and see what's actually the lowest.

So if a plan is offering $1.95/KW with 31% discount and another is offering $1.28/KW no discount, you definitely want that one. The entire energy market is littered with confusing bullshit discounts to confuse people into thinking they're getting a better deal, as long as you know those basics, you should easily find the best deal. If you think you'll be using a very low KW amount, then the actual daily service charge becomes more important, but I found the service charge was very small between suppliers.

The only other thing worth noting is the best actual deals usually required direct debit as payment versus getting billed, so you are definitely charged more for flexible billing.

Gas - I don't know shit, don't have it, didn't look.

EDIT: Pretty sure this is what I signed up for like 2 months ago - https://www.originenergy.com.au/for-home/campaign/one-low-rate.html I think at the time they said they are discontinuing the plan but even when I looked at the website it said not available but they still were able to give me that plan over the phone. It's worth the call for sure.
It will be a usage discount that I would need.

The bloke I live with coughAri Goldcough has the aircon going consistently.

This is confusing for no fucking reason.

Nashy

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
My Aircon at home rarely turns off. I've not been able to find anything that's cheaper by a decent margin than the AGL plan I'm on / the Origin plan that Kimlo finds himself on.

Dash

NRL Player
Brisbane
It will be a usage discount that I would need.

The bloke I live with coughAri Goldcough has the aircon going consistently.

This is confusing for no fucking reason.
I went from AGL to Alinta and my bill went down by $40 a quarter, on very low usage. The more power you use the more you'd save.

abashii

NRL Player
Deep Didgeridoo
Anyone know the Broncos promo code for cheap tickets at event cinemas? I didn't get the new one for this year and taking a young lady and a few kiddos to the movies is gunna cost me a hundo.

Browny

State of Origin Captain
Drunk
I’m looking at getting a smart watch for my running as I’m sick of carrying my phone.

I’m leaning towards the Apple Watch as it seems the easier option in regards to using the apps and accounts already on my iPhone.

Had a look at a few Garmin and Samsung but not too sure about the compatibility with apple

Any ideas?

Fozz

International Rep
Staff
I’m looking at getting a smart watch for my running as I’m sick of carrying my phone.

I’m leaning towards the Apple Watch as it seems the easier option in regards to using the apps and accounts already on my iPhone.

Had a look at a few Garmin and Samsung but not too sure about the compatibility with apple

Any ideas?
I've got a fitbit versa, it's fine with the iPhone but doesn't have in built GPS. There might be a higher end version that does. I haven't had issues with compatibility and you can control the audio through the watch.

Last edited:

soup

State of Origin Rep

Any ideas?
I’ve got a Fitbit Ionic which is the one with the inbuilt GPS. I use it with an iPhone too and it’s brilliant. Really great with sleep tracking too.

I did my research a few months ago and this is the one I settled on.

Nashy

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
Steer clear of Android. It's not awful, but it seems to be pretty poo compared to basically everything else available. Mine doesn't even get connected to the phone anymore because it's so stupid.

Kimlo

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane

Any ideas?
Honestly take a look at the Xiaomi Amazfit Bip.

It's fucking awesome, $99, has actual real built in GPS, not the assisted scam marketing other watches use so you can actually use it without your phone to track workouts. It does sleep tracking, GPS workouts, heart rate monitoring and main reason I have it. 30 days battery life.

I got sick of charging my Samsung Galaxy Watch every 3 days, this thing lasts 30-40 days on average. It's also stupidly light so it's easy to forget it's there which is nice.

Doesn't look amazing though, but it's a killer price.

Last edited:

Sproj

International Rep
Staff
They sure aren't watching 2019 Broncos games though, I'll tell you that.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Twitter