The random question thread

ningnangnong

HACK THE PLANET!!!
Nashy Nashy what's with the weird spacing we got happening?

This seems too far away from my first sentence... like it's 1.5 line spacing or something?

Last edited:

Tom

State of Origin Rep
Any home brewers? I have just started up doing it again after about 5 years. I used to just keep the brew in the fermenter for about a week, and bottle it when the airlock had stopped bubbling for about 2-3 days. The box the syrup comes in is saying I should leave it in for 10 days. Seems a little long for me, the airlock has well and truly stopped bubbling by then. Is it really necessary?

TonyTheJugoslav

QCup Player
Any home brewers? I have just started up doing it again after about 5 years. I used to just keep the brew in the fermenter for about a week, and bottle it when the airlock had stopped bubbling for about 2-3 days. The box the syrup comes in is saying I should leave it in for 10 days. Seems a little long for me, the airlock has well and truly stopped bubbling by then. Is it really necessary?
What type of beer are you brewing?

TonyTheJugoslav

QCup Player
Did a golden ale the 1st one, turned out fairly good. This time an American pale ale.
From memory you should be ok with ales after a week. I haven't done brewing myself but we did buy a kit for a mate few years ago, now he is winning comps and has his beer on tap in a few local pubs on occasion. I will double check but ales don't take long.

Reactions: Tom

Tom

State of Origin Rep
From memory you should be ok with ales after a week. I haven't done brewing myself but we did buy a kit for a mate few years ago, now he is winning comps and has his beer on tap in a few local pubs on occasion. I will double check but ales don't take long.
Didn't think so.

Yeah the package also says to bottle it for 6weeks but I know that's crap too. It's done within a week.

Last edited:

TonyTheJugoslav

QCup Player
Didn't think so.

Yeah the package also says to bottle it for 6weeks but I know that's crap too. It's done within a week.
Yeah l just asked him he reckons there is no need and they must be trying to get it to be bit higher in alcohol content by fermenting it longer. Also the six weeks in bottle suggest the same.

Tom

State of Origin Rep
Yeah l just asked him he reckons there is no need and they must be trying to get it to be bit higher in alcohol content by fermenting it longer. Also the six weeks in bottle suggest the same.
I just add more dextrose or malt at the start to bump up the alcohol content.

Rico

QCup Player
Hey Tom, my mate makes his own beer from the ground up and is a member of Brisbane brewers club. They are a decent bunch of blokes and happy to help out blokes starting out. Give their Facebook page a hit and they’ll help for sure.

TonyTheJugoslav

QCup Player
Hey Tom, my mate makes his own beer from the ground up and is a member of Brisbane brewers club. They are a decent bunch of blokes and happy to help out blokes starting out. Give their Facebook page a hit and they’ll help for sure.
Yeah l think that is the same place my mate goes to, bunch of dudes tasting different beers once a week.

Sirlee oldman

NRL Player
I have a still and make a lot of spirits which is a similar process. If it has stopped bubbling for a few days you should be safe but you can check the specific gravity of the brew to be sure. Sometimes Winter can stuff the timing around if the brew gets cold. It’s a great hobby though so good luck with it.

Aldo

NRL Player
New South Wails

I would advise any beer lovers to get into home-brewing. 23L for 30-40 dollarydoos. Tastes better than most stuff in the shops too.
I was right into it about 15 years ago. Used to do partial and full mashes with barley, hops and liquid yeast. The kits you buy taste like pure bred rat's piss but my beer quality went through the roof when I got into mashing. Highly recommended.

TonyTheJugoslav

QCup Player
Do people swear more now? Or did the age bracket you find yourself in, always swear this much?
I came to Brisbane in 97 and to me there was always swearing but the c-bombs and building site banter is more "accepted/normalised" in general society now. Jim Jeffries made a solid career using c-bombs. You are far more likely to be pulled up on racist shit these days tho as it should be.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Twitter