The random question thread

Nashy

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
Safety/work boots. Can anybody recommend the most comfortable brand/type of work boots please?

I need some ASAP for work but have never really bought any before so know very little.

They don’t need to be steel-capped which is great! I don’t mind spending up to $200 or so. They’ll be a tax write-off anyway.

If they could be easy to put on, for instance, zipper up the side, that would be great for my back. Ultimately though, nice and cushy soles would be best, especially with my back.

Thanks for any tips in advance :)
Old man loves his RedBacks. Recently tried some BlueSteels, he likes them, but they hurt his feet because their width is a **** to stretch.

Last edited:

soup

State of Origin Rep
I worked with mostly Samoan, Tongan and Maori boys and they all seem to swear by thongs mate. Very easy to get on and off too.
I live in thongs haha. I have about 6 pairs all around the house at every entry way. Love em!

Unfortunately, the new side hustle I’ve picked up is driving trucks at night and they don’t reckon my Irish Safety Boots (thongs) cut the mustard. Cunts...

soup

State of Origin Rep
Old man loves his RedBacks. Recently tried some BlueSteels, he likes them, but they hurt his feet because their width is a **** to stretch.
Okay, good tip. Thanks mate.

I’ve got wide, flat feet so the Bluesteels might not be ideal for me.

Last edited:

Allo

NRL Captain
I live in thongs haha. I have about 6 pairs all around the house at every entry way. Love em!

Unfortunately, the new side hustle I’ve picked up is driving trucks at night and they don’t reckon my Irish Safety Boots (thongs) cut the mustard. Cunts...
Very surprised they don’t require steel caps for driving trucks

Old man is a truck driver and needs them (as do I for a similar industry)

soup

State of Origin Rep
Very surprised they don’t require steel caps for driving trucks

Old man is a truck driver and needs them (as do I for a similar industry)
Yeah, me too. Pretty happy about it really as I’m not a fan of them.

Tom

State of Origin Rep
Mate don't be so quick to judge steel caps. My favourite pair ever was Dunlop volleys, yes dunlop volley had an exact replica of their shoe but steel cap. Only cost $30 a bit over a decade ago too. Wore em to futsal one night, that was fun.

soup

State of Origin Rep
Mate don't be so quick to judge steel caps. My favourite pair ever was Dunlop volleys, yes dunlop volley had an exact replica of their shoe but steel cap. Only cost $30 a bit over a decade ago too. Wore em to futsal one night, that was fun.
I’ve worn hand me down ones plenty in the past, also been provided ones for jobs and I just find that they screw with my toenails.

Allo

NRL Captain
Yeah, me too. Pretty happy about it really as I’m not a fan of them.
Have needed them for the best part of a decade now I’m pretty used to them, almost more than regular shoes, but yeah they can be rough on the feet if you walk a lot.

Nashy

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
Can any of the cricket lovers here explain why cricketers don't have to wear the little protection thing to stop the Hughes injury from happening again?

Literally had a dude lose his life on a cricket pitch, of all sports, he died playing cricket, and that little device isn't mandatory, and Smith wasn't wearing one. It seems really, really fucking stupid.

Unbreakable

International Rep
Staff
27.4° S, 153.0° E
Can any of the cricket lovers here explain why cricketers don't have to wear the little protection thing to stop the Hughes injury from happening again?

Literally had a dude lose his life on a cricket pitch, of all sports, he died playing cricket, and that little device isn't mandatory, and Smith wasn't wearing one. It seems really, really fucking stupid.
Great question, I had the same conversation with my Dad after Smith got hit, it should 100% be mandatory in all Domestic & International games. I have no idea why it isn't.

It's called the Stem Guard, the price is pretty steep to buy the attachment, which might explain why kids / grade cricketers don't use it, it costs $80 for the attachment, which isn't too far off how much you'd pay for the helmet itself, depending on the brand.

Nashy

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
Great question, I had the same conversation with my Dad after Smith got hit, it should 100% be mandatory in all Domestic & International games. I have no idea why it isn't.

The price is pretty steep to buy the attachment, which might explain why kids / grade cricketers don't use it, it costs $80 for the attachment, which isn't too far off how much you'd pay for the helmet itself, depending on the brand.
$80 for a bit of, what looks like, plastic?! That's mental. I would assume if they became mandatory the helmets would all come with them.

I think Smith said they're uncomfortable or annoying? I mean, it's gotta be better than concussed, watching your team get beaten by one dude, or being dead.

Unbreakable

International Rep
Staff
27.4° S, 153.0° E
$80 for a bit of, what looks like, plastic?! That's mental. I would assume if they became mandatory the helmets would all come with them.

I think Smith said they're uncomfortable or annoying? I mean, it's gotta be better than concussed, watching your team get beaten by one dude, or being dead.
CA just released an article saying Smith will trial wearing the attachment when he returns.

https://www.cricket.com.au/news/steve-smith-stem-guards-helmet-jofra-archer-concussion-australia-england-ashes-tour-match-derby/2019-08-28

Steve Smith will battle a natural aversion to wearing protective stem guards on his batting helmet when he returns to competitive cricket this week, after admitting to holding grave fears for his wellbeing immediately after being struck on the neck at Lord's.

Smith will play his first game since suffering delayed concussion from a blow to the neck 10 days ago when Australia begin their tour game against Derbyshire in Derby on Thursday.

In his first media interview since suffering the injury, which forced him to retire hurt and then withdraw from the second Test at Lord's on its final day, Smith described the symptoms he began to exhibit hours after being hit by England fast bowler, Jofra Archer.

The 30-year-old also revealed that in the immediate aftermath of that blow to the unprotected left side of his neck, as he lay stunned and panicked on the pitch, his first thought was of his close friend and former teammate, Phillip Hughes.

The fatal injury that Hughes sustained during a Sheffield Shield match at the Sydney Cricket Ground in November 2014 was the result of being struck directly on the neck while batting.

"I had a few things running through my head, particularly where I got hit," Smith said prior to the Australia men's team travelling from Leeds to Derby for this week's three-day tour game.

"Just a bit of past came up, if you know what I mean, from a few years ago.

"That was probably the first thing I thought about, then I was like 'I'm okay here', and I was all right.

"I was a little bit sad, but I was all right mentally for the rest of that afternoon.

"I felt pretty good, passed all my tests and was able to go and bat and then it wasn't until later that evening that it hit me.

"When the doc (Bupa Support Staff team doctor Richard Saw) asked me what did it feel like, I said it felt like I had six beers last night and felt a little bit under the weather - without the six beers, unfortunately.

"That was the sort of feeling I got, that groggy feeling and that stuck around for a couple of days.
"Not a nice place to be in, but these things happen and unfortunately I missed what was a pretty amazing Test match (at Headingley)."

Smith admitted he struggled to watch the final hour of that third Test at Headingley as Ben Stokes single-handedly lifted England to a one-wicket win.

However, that unease was caused by the helplessness he felt at being unable to help out as Australia's grip on the game slipped away, rather than any lingering symptoms of the delayed concussion he had suffered.

He finds the lightweight guards disconcerting to wear, but has indicated he's likely to trial the attachment this week with a view to using them in the subsequent Test if he can become sufficiently used to them.

"I've tried them before, and I tried them the other day when I was batting and I reckon my heart rate went up about thirty or forty (beats per minute) straight away," Smith said.

"I just feel claustrophobic.

"I compare it to being stuck in an MRI scan machine.

"But I think at some point they're probably going to become mandatory, so I'm going to have to get used to them.

"And I'm sure the more I wear them, the more I practice with them, my heart rate will come down and everything will be okay.

"Had I been wearing a stem guard in the (Lord's) game, I'm not sure that would have made a difference, the way my head sort of went back and where it hit me.

"Of course, you always want to have as much protection as possible and for me now it's about trying to get used to it in the nets."

A key reason as to why he finds the small, plastic stem guards such an encumbrance is the importance he places on how he 'feels' when at the crease.

Among the many idiosyncrasies to which Smith happily admits are taping over his shoe laces so he can't see them when he looks down, and constantly looking for (and then forgetting) the method by which the bat fits most comfortably in his unusual grip.

Consequently, when something as seemingly minor as an addition to the back of his helmet forces him outside of his established patterns, he finds it severely disrupts the rhythm and familiarity of his strict routines.

ningnangnong

HACK THE PLANET!!!
I can see Smith's point of view - I remember when they made helmets compulsory when I was playing junior cricket. Actually felt more vulnerable than I did without one, because I didn't like the cage getting in my eyeline.

My solution was to take out the front screws where the cage connects to the helmet, so I could raise or lower it to my liking. The rear screws still kept it tense enough that it wouldn't move without a decent amount of force. Once I found the sweet spot where I liked it, a ball could make its way through, but it would be like a million to one chance of actually happening because it was such a tight squeeze.

Cool story, bro.

Last edited:

soup

State of Origin Rep
Have needed them for the best part of a decade now I’m pretty used to them, almost more than regular shoes, but yeah they can be rough on the feet if you walk a lot.
I might get capped ones anyhow, just in case they change the rules at some stage. Plus I’ll need them if I change transport companies by the sounds of it. Thanks mate.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Twitter