The random question thread

Nashy

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
He’s already got an X1 but he wants to play the 360 games. Might shop around for a second hand pack
A lot of 360 games will run on the One. Make sure he tests them, even if he has before. Microsoft constantly update it with backwards comparable stuff

Jedhead

NRL Player
Ok my kids are letting me know that they are about to lose it if we don't get air con soon. Ive got an old Queenslander and it is fairly open plan (cept for the bedrooms). I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on ducted air con and if they would recommend anyone.

Ok my kids are letting me know that they are about to lose it if we don't get air con soon. Ive got an old Queenslander and it is fairly open plan (cept for the bedrooms). I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on ducted air con and if they would recommend anyone.
ducted aircon costs an absolute fortune to run. I'd put separate units in the rooms and a ceiling mounted aircon for the rest of the house.

Nashy

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
ducted aircon costs an absolute fortune to run. I'd put separate units in the rooms and a ceiling mounted aircon for the rest of the house.
Not in my experience they don't. I run mine almost 24/7 and the bills are hundreds cheaper than when we ran multiple splits.

soup

State of Origin Rep
T’ba
Isn't ducted aircon hellishly expensive to retrofit?
Can be, but if you know someone in the trade, not too bad. My mate had ducted installed through a 6 bedroom house with two stories and 2 living rooms/kitchen/dining, all for $15k. He is an engineer and generally handy bloke so labour costs were very minimal. He swears by it, energy wise.

Jedhead

NRL Player
Not in my experience they don't. I run mine almost 24/7 and the bills are hundreds cheaper than when we ran multiple splits.
Can I ask what brand you went with and how much it costs to run quarterly in the hotter months.
- Merged

Can be, but if you know someone in the trade, not too bad. My mate had ducted installed through a 6 bedroom house with two stories and 2 living rooms/kitchen/dining, all for $15k. He is an engineer and generally handy bloke so labour costs were very minimal. He swears by it, energy wise.
So you reckon ducted is the way to go Soup?

Last edited:

Nashy

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
Can I ask what brand you went with and how much it costs to run quarterly in the hotter months.
- Merged

So you reckon ducted is the way to go Soup?
We have a shitty renter at the moment, so the system we have no isn't great. It could do with temp sensors in each room, but whatever. Our bills thorugh summer are around 800-900 a Q. So they're up there. But I live in AC, and I love the cold.

Our last house with multiple units we were around $1100 - $1400 a Q. 1400 was a shock, but we'd also not realised we left the schedule on for a good year.

Edit: Sorry, it's a Daikin.

Last edited:

Unbreakable

International Rep
Staff
🌏
There's a lot of variables for whether or not you should get / need ducted air imo Jedhead Jedhead

Examples:

Do you see yourselves living at the house for a long time, size of the house, number of rooms, how often people are home, do all rooms feel the heat or is it only certain sides of the house, do you know someone who can do the work for you without taking an arm and a leg, etc, etc.

I would personally say if it's a relatively large house with 4+ bedrooms and you're planning on staying there for the foreseeable future, ducted is worth it.

Jedhead

NRL Player
There's a lot of variables for whether or not you should get / need ducted air imo Jedhead Jedhead

Examples:

Do you see yourselves living at the house for a long time, size of the house, number of rooms, how often people are home, do all rooms feel the heat or is it only certain sides of the house, do you know someone who can do the work for you without taking an arm and a leg, etc, etc.

I would personally say if it's a relatively large house with 4+ bedrooms and you're planning on staying there for the foreseeable future, ducted is worth it.
Yeh we've been in here over 18 years. So is it the install that can run into massive costs? We're looking at 5 bedrooms living room/kitchen/huge dinning room

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Twitter