The random question thread

Super Freak

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
Does anyone here use skin care products?

I’ve been looking into buying some because my face always looks like I’ve just woke up from a thousand year sleep (tired and big bags under my eyes) and it’s not exactly helping in the dating scene. Admittedly I know **** all about this stuff and google seems to be telling me to buy all of these different products that by the looks of it do the same thing.

If anyone does use these, what do you use?

soup

State of Origin Captain
T’ba
Does anyone here use skin care products?

I’ve been looking into buying some because my face always looks like I’ve just woke up from a thousand year sleep (tired and big bags under my eyes) and it’s not exactly helping in the dating scene. Admittedly I know **** all about this stuff and google seems to be telling me to buy all of these different products that by the looks of it do the same thing.

If anyone does use these, what do you use?
After decades of being a stoner, I’ve tried a fair few products to help with the tired/baggy eyes that’s inherent in smoking weed regularly. Some eye lift creams do work in the short term to tighten up the skin, but in my experience, they make you look worse in the long run.

I may be completely off-base here, but if you are a regular weed smoker, the worst thing is the eye irritation. You tend to rub your eyes more, put eye drops in (which can make your eyes worse in the medium/long term), forget to drink enough water (hollowed eyes/bags), and sleep patterns may be all over the place.

I use witch hazel after a shower to tighten the skin. That’s about it. I try not to use eye drops too often, only when necessary, and try not to rub my eyes when stoned/tired. I drink about 3-4L if water a day and make sure I get enough sleep.

I don’t get the baggy eyes as much. I still do when I’m regularly smoking, but nowhere near as bad as it used to be.

Last edited:

Clintos

State of Origin Rep
Around
Is it a faux pas to ask for people to 'pay their own way' at an engagement dinner?

The missus wants to have a party - but I'd rather save the $$ for honeymoon.
She suggested we just invite people to a dinner and ask them to pay for their own food & drinks.

I always thought that was frowned upon - but I really have NFI.

Super Freak

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
There does seem to be an expectation that whoever throws the party provides the food and drinks. However, if you’re trying to save the money for a honeymoon then that should take priority. Tell them to pay their own way and forget about how it might look.

Nashy

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
Is it a faux pas to ask for people to 'pay their own way' at an engagement dinner?

The missus wants to have a party - but I'd rather save the $$ for honeymoon.
She suggested we just invite people to a dinner and ask them to pay for their own food & drinks.

I always thought that was frowned upon - but I really have NFI.
Not sure on the social norms, but any engagement party I've been to has been paid for, and it's always been finger food and cheap shit because wedding costs absolutely suck.

I'd probably find an excuse before I paid to go to an engagement party. I find the concept of engagement parties odd though, wedding is where it's at.

Clintos

State of Origin Rep
Around
Well the other thing is we don't really have the facilities to throw a party at home, so we'd have to hire a venue etc and go from there.

Dinner just seems easier.

I was trying to think of a nice way to say - don't bring us a gift, just pay for your own shit.

The venue would be 2 courses for $45pp + drinks. I'd be happy to pay that. Haha

Clintos

State of Origin Rep
Around
Not sure on the social norms, but any engagement party I've been to has been paid for, and it's always been finger food and cheap shit because wedding costs absolutely suck.

I'd probably find an excuse before I paid to go to an engagement party. I find the concept of engagement parties odd though, wedding is where it's at.
Yeah I'm not too keen on a 'party'. Hence sit-down dinner. I just don't want to pay for everyone. Haha

LittleDavey83

NRL Player
Bundy
We had a combined engagement/housewarming/birthday pissup with all our mates at our place. Fucking epic night, wouldn't change a thing.

Personally, I'd pay to attend an engagement party of a good mate if it wasn't unreasonable.

ningnangnong

HACK THE PLANET!!!
Peñíscola
Last engagement party I went to was basically just a big backyard barbie.

The parents of the groom own a crematorium set on some decent acreage, so it was setup in the nice, lush green picturesque garden with a big tent/marquee thingy. There was basic dips, crackers and shit, free soft drink and then come dinner time you'd just help yourself to a bunch of fairly simple dishes that were laid out - potato bake, bread rolls, beef, chicken, etc. Basic, wholesome stuff. BYO alcohol.

Then there was cake provided - it was fucking delicious. I ate many slices.

So all in all it ended up being quite nice, and I don't think it would have been stupidly expensive either.

Probably of no help at all, as I am pretty sure you don't own a crematorium with a nice garden haha.

Other ones I've been to, have just been like hire a room at some venue, finger food comes around. Open bar or get your own drinks depending how rich the bride/groom's family is!

I'm with Nashy though - weddings are the main event. Don't know why people go all out on engagement parties.

Last edited:

Sirlee oldman

NRL Player
Well the other thing is we don't really have the facilities to throw a party at home, so we'd have to hire a venue etc and go from there.

Dinner just seems easier.

I was trying to think of a nice way to say - don't bring us a gift, just pay for your own shit.

The venue would be 2 courses for $45pp + drinks. I'd be happy to pay that. Haha
I think it’s fair enough to ask people to pay for their own dinner especially if you make it clear that you don’t want gifts.

Rico

QCup Player
If dough is tight I’d just give it the swerve and maybe looks to have different groups of friends over for dinner at home over a few weeks. Alternatively, you could tell punters it was a pay your own way arrangement and for those who still had the decency to turn up, you could pay for them if you could afford it.

I’m with sirlee too. If you stipulate no gifts then it’s play on ...

soup

State of Origin Captain
T’ba
We just had a general party at home with family and a few friends with finger food and BYO grog. It was just a party, and then I secretly planned to get down on one knee. All a surprise for everyone but me and the parents in law. Too easy.

The wedding will be exactly the same. Invite people to a special party, then have a celebrant rock up and have a surprise, low-key wedding. Simples.

A wedding doesn’t mean much to us after being together for going on 18 years now. It’s more for the sake of name change and the kids, otherwise we wouldn’t bother.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
momentumvapeconz

Members online

Twitter