The random question thread

soup

State of Origin Captain
T’ba
Harry Sack Harry Sack

Picked up a 750g beef eye fillet at Aldi today and my word it looks nice and fresh. Not a lot of fat, considering the cut, so I’m a bit confused which way to go about cooking it. Three options:
  1. sear super quickly in skillet, sealing the fillet, then add butter and garlic and sear for 5 mins a side.
  2. Marinate for a couple of days and then roast
  3. Dry rub, bake, slice, sear, serve
I’m gunning for 3 at the moment, but open to 2.

Galah

QCup Player
Brisbane
Harry Sack Harry Sack

Picked up a 750g beef eye fillet at Aldi today and my word it looks nice and fresh. Not a lot of fat, considering the cut, so I’m a bit confused which way to go about cooking it. Three options:
  1. sear super quickly in skillet, sealing the fillet, then add butter and garlic and sear for 5 mins a side.
1 or 3!

Harry Sack

State of Origin Captain
Harry Sack Harry Sack

1 or 3 are the only options I'd look at there personally, so if you're keen on 3 that's the way I'd go. Aldi have some damn fine meat tbh. Their eye fillet is excellent

soup

State of Origin Captain
T’ba
Will eat for dinner tonight Harry Sack Harry Sack

Anything I should do apart from make garlic butter?

Should I do the rub early or just when it’s room temp before cook?

soup

State of Origin Captain
T’ba
I can assure you I have no idea haha. Have never tried it before. What's in the rub?
No idea yet, but thinking of sticking to paprika Smokey and sweet, garlic/onion powder, bit of cumin, lots of salt and pepper, mustard. Got some dry herbs here from my garden. Lots of sage, thyme.

Last edited:

Tom

State of Origin Captain
Aldi meat is pretty shit here in Victoria. I bought a $35 eye fillet and it wasn't even a log, it had just been vacuum sealed to look like one. It was just this flat piece of meat that had been rolled up and was not dissimilar to porterhouse. Was pretty pissed off as I was planning on making a wellington out of it.

soup

State of Origin Captain
T’ba
Aldi meat is pretty shit here in Victoria. I bought a $35 eye fillet and it wasn't even a log, it had just been vacuum sealed to look like one. It was just this flat piece of meat that had been rolled up and was not dissimilar to porterhouse. Was pretty pissed off as I was planning on making a wellington out of it.
I haven’t opened the vacuum sealed bag yet :nailbiter:

• Sad
Reactions: Tom

soup

State of Origin Captain
T’ba
Oh dear, pretty sure it's the same brand.
Wasn’t expecting miracles tbh. You do get what you pay for. I’m gonna go option 1 because it’s quick and I love butter. We don’t eat heaps of red meat, mostly because quality is too expensive.

Tom

State of Origin Captain
Wasn’t expecting miracles tbh. You do get what you pay for. I’m gonna go option 1 because it’s quick and I love butter. We don’t eat heaps of red meat, mostly because quality is too expensive.
Have you opened it? It's fucking bullshit imo. It's labelled an eye fillet and it's obviously not.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Teak1983

Members online

Twitter