NEWS The real problem with the Broncos

It certainly helps that he still has connections and respect within the game, yes.
Of course, but as he is no longer at the Broncos and probably unlikely to be again, we need to identify what it is that made him better than our predecessors in this area and try to replication/be consistent with it.

There is an easy solution. Broncos executives fly to Melbourne. Have brunch with their scouts and recruiters. Find our their wage. Fucking quadruple it, and take them back with you that day.

I think Seibs just needs to keep the pressure on the club to keep looking for the best kids.
yeah this was the root of my musing. it surely cant be that simple.

hey anthony find the best kids *wins 6 premierships straight* board member: i told him to do that. *drives off in lamborghini*

This may be unpopular, and he probably wouldn’t want to come back, but would employing Hook as a scout/recruiter be the worst idea? He’s always been good with the kids

This may be unpopular, and he probably wouldn’t want to come back, but would employing Hook as a scout/recruiter be the worst idea? He’s always been good with the kids

Not the worst idea but I think hook still harbours ideas of head coaching in the nrl.
The minimum role I think he would take is assistant coach and that wouldn’t work at the broncos.

Sounding ten years behind and extremely xenophobic there Vonny.

yeah this was the root of my musing. it surely cant be that simple.

hey anthony find the best kids *wins 6 premierships straight* board member: i told him to do that. *drives off in lamborghini*

Its not that simple, but i guess step one is getting a system in place, which i think we have now. I also think our recruitment of younger players to develop should transcend whoever the coach is. We need a good solid system that wont collapse when we lose a head coach. Its basically got to become a production line of talent as crude as it probably sounds. As long as we get in a good network of scouts we can trust i think whoever the coach is should be able to have a few players of real quality coming through as well as just the solid type of players who just get the job done so we can balance our cap.

In terms of senior recruitment, I think thats generally more down to the head coach to recruit to fill in the gaps as needed.

The name Cyril Connell is relevant here. He was the Broncos first recruitment manager. A quietly spoke ex school teacher who signed the likes of Michael Hancock, Wendell Sailor, Darren Lockyer, Shane Webke and many others.

I don't know who we have as head of recruitment now, but there is something amiss.

There was a time when up to eight or nine of the Queensland State of Origin team came from the Broncos - which admittedly, isn't a figure to aspire to again because it taxed the club so much.

Here's my take. Our recruitment went off the rails when the club signed Scott Prince from the Gold Coast. That set off a whole range of side-effects. It was a stop gap measure for one/two seasons and sent a message to those in the "system" that the club is willing to subvert your progress by signing an outsider.

From signing Prince, Norman left, Hunt's progress was short circuited because he was forced to play No.9 for a couple of seasons, and the club has struggled ever since in the halves (except for a year with Milford/Hunt in the halves.

I'm double minded about us signing Croft. One part of me says "yes a game manager!", but the other half wonders what it will do to Deardon's progress.

Couldn't croft and deardon play at the same time?

Last edited:
We can't sign everyone, but we should have been able to sign at least one of Smith, Cronk, Munster, Thurston, Inglis and co. Especially if you consider how many Melbourne has been signing. They were just way better at identifying talent the the Broncos. Broncos might be on the way up again, but it'll still take some time to convince me with the backs, halves and hookers.

Last edited:
Couldn't croft and deardon play at the same time?
It becomes a very interesting question as to who will stay and who will go in the coming years.

Does Seibold move Milf back to 6... how does Dearden get back in the team

Does Milf stay at fullback... is that actually a good position for Milf or are they putting him somewhere until the juniors come through and then Milf gets the punt.

Does Seibold even want Milf... Croft and Dearden halves moving forward

Does Croft get a 3yr deal then out the door when the juniors come through... I.e. Milf 6 Dearden eventually 7

Does Paix stay as a 9.... does he even want to be a 9... what happens with Turpin

It's pretty simple. All the other clubs in the comp are more active in recruitment in QLD than what they used to be. Therefore it's not as easy to get the best players anymore.

It becomes a very interesting question as to who will stay and who will go in the coming years.

Does Seibold move Milf back to 6... how does Dearden get back in the team

Does Milf stay at fullback... is that actually a good position for Milf or are they putting him somewhere until the juniors come through and then Milf gets the punt.

Does Seibold even want Milf... Croft and Dearden halves moving forward

Does Croft get a 3yr deal then out the door when the juniors come through... I.e. Milf 6 Dearden eventually 7

Does Paix stay as a 9.... does he even want to be a 9... what happens with Turpin
AF702992 EC4B 4F59 9479 335A0E1FF1D7

Active Now

• Culhwch
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Fitzy
  • Fozz
  • GCBRONCO
  • KnToad
  • Skathen
  • Bish
  • Johnny92
  • Broncosgirl
  • Santa
  • FACTHUNT
  • Kev_Guz
  • BroncosAlways
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Redux
  • Mustafur
  • Bucking Beads
  • BroncoFan94
... and 8 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.