The real reason Gordie bashed Ben Ross

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
IT was one of the most famous punch-ups in recent NRL history.

Gorden Tallis versus Ben Ross.

The young buck and the old bull and it had the tick of approval from the super coach himself.

Lifting the lid on what led to his classic stink with a young Ross in his second season in the NRL, Tallis revealed to the Triple M Grill Team that he went into the 2003 season with fighting on his mind.

Battling injury and with his body slowing down, the veteran enforcer believed his rivals no longer feared him like they once did.

With his career coming to an end, the backrower hatched a plan to send a reminder to his opposition that he wants a player to be messed with.

The man affectionately known as ‘the raging bull’ recalled the events leading up to that faithful day.

“I was going through the pre-season. I had neck surgery so I wasn’t training anywhere near (what I should), I was doing about 60 per cent of the sessions,” Tallis explains.

“A lot of people were getting a bit lippy. I wasn’t playing and they were starting to sledge a little bit and I’m lying on my back against Penrith and I remember in the pre-season saying; ‘Wayne I might have to clip a bloke this year. He said ‘what?’ I said ‘I might have to fight a bloke.’ He said ‘why is that?’, because they’re all starting to put a bit of s**t on me and I don’t like it.

“If I give one a fight, then everyone has to leave me alone and let me ride off into the sunset.”

That’s when Tallis received the blessing of Wayne Bennett, although the master coach had one condition.

“He goes ‘cool. Make it in the early rounds and make sure he’s a big bloke’. I said ‘sweet, no problem’,” Tallis continued.

“So I’m lying on my back in round one against Penrith. It was a 37 degree day. A really hot day and this young kid by the name of Ben Ross came on and he kept pushing my head down and I said ‘lay off the food’.”

Ross has joined the Panthers that year after making his first grade debut for St George-Illawarra in 2002.

A young forward eager to make his name, Ross had been at Tallis since he entered the field and that’s when the former Queensland Origin skipper saw red.

While there was no premeditated plan to target the rookie prop, Ross was a marked man.

“I was giving it to him and he was giving it to me and then he grabbed me around the neck,” Tallis said.

“I said ‘do that one more time mate and that’s it’. So he just thought he’d do it one more time and then I grabbed him. If you watch the footage, he was trying to get away for about a minute and I said ‘hey mate, we’re gonna fight. Whether you like it or not, we’re going to fight so as soon as you throw a punch I’m throwing one back’. That was it and then I ran off.

“No one said anything for the next 25 rounds. They were like church mouses. Sometimes it does work.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/th...3/news-story/cb202162646f4a9ab1b85210319b9a0e

I remember this, the good old days where they would let guys punch on.

Is it weird that I'm all for the shoulder charge ban but not for the punching ban?

On a separate note, who would be the toughest bloke on the Broncos this year that as an opponent, you wouldn't want to mess with? I think Moose would be a bit crazy, but Blair/Sims are big blokes that look like they could throw. Joffa as well (new thread idea?)

Is it weird that I'm all for the shoulder charge ban but not for the punching ban?

On a separate note, who would be the toughest bloke on the Broncos this year that as an opponent, you wouldn't want to mess with? I think Moose would be a bit crazy, but Blair/Sims are big blokes that look like they could throw. Joffa as well (new thread idea?)

Moose yeah. And Sims. I reckon Sims would happily let you hit him in the face 10 times as long as he can get one good clean shot on you in return.

Blair for mine. Already shown in the past re glenn Stewart hes happy for a scrap. Plus hes the alpha male of our pack.

Well Moose is a boxer so I would be more afraid of him.

Blair can throw them, as well. Not quite as good but he looks like he has a hard hit on him.

What about Joffa? Apparently he does boxing training too (I mean more so then the average NRL player) and he's a unit.

Moga's a unit but he just looks soo gumby already. Not to mention a few extra head knocks would severely damage his brain and decrease his football awareness even more so

Moose is like 90% blind in one eye isn't he? Keep throwing them at that side IMO.

Pennies fans are still butthurt over this

You seen him angry? Don't think I'd risk it. Low blow to the nuts, then run. Fast.

I wouldn't want to fight any of them tbh, but if it was between Sims, Blair and Moose.....at least I know he has something I could exploit.

Who's keen to name their toughest options by position across the NRL? eg. Fullback, Winger, Prop, etc.

As you can see, I'm really bored waiting for 8pm and can't focus at work anymore. Need to do something footy related

Who's keen to name their toughest options by position across the NRL? eg. Fullback, Winger, Prop, etc.

As you can see, I'm really bored waiting for 8pm and can't focus at work anymore. Need to do something footy related

Make a new thread for it, sounds fun!

He'd need to let you fight on a step ladder though.

Haha, I almost responded to your last post with a

"I'd need to headbutt him in the nuts, Amirite guys!!!!"

but didn't and now I have regret. Not as much as I regret my thinning hair though....

Moga's a unit but he just looks soo gumby already. Not to mention a few extra head knocks would severely damage his brain and decrease his football awareness even more so

Moga wouldn't be a problem.

All you would need is a bit of footwork and he'll miss you completely.. Just like he misses opposition centres that have footwork.

Moose yeah. And Sims. I reckon Sims would happily let you hit him in the face 10 times as long as he can get one good clean shot on you in return.

I heard big sister Ruan telling the story about Friday night Fight Nights at the Sims house .
1st one to cry and its over . He`d be a hard bugger . Played on with a broken arm recently .

Well Moose is a boxer so I would be more afraid of him.

Blair can throw them, as well. Not quite as good but he looks like he has a hard hit on him.

Blair vs Old matey from Manly was pretty violent .

Unread

Active Now

• Fozz
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.