The right to bag stuff out

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by Coxy, Mar 24, 2008.

1. ningnangnong

ningnangnong HACK THE PLANET!!!

People with company fleet vehicles probably don't give a shit, as they'd have a company provided fuel card.

2. Foordy

Foordy

There is a shell that i pass on the way to work and their fuel has just gone down to $1.24/L

it is literally the only servo on my 30 min commute that is still has fuel that high ... hell, for the first 2 weeks of the low cycle, they were still selling it at over $1.30/L ... and to nobodies surprise, they were empty. and have been since the low prices started

3. Morkel

Morkel

Not necessarily. I've got a work car and a fuel card and I'm always doing my darndest to get fuel when it's cheapest. But then, I am a tightarse.

4. Browny

Browny State of Origin Captain

Drunk
    I’m talking my own car

5. ningnangnong

That's very noble of you Morks, and I generally follow the same practice when I'm using one of our work cars.

Sadly though, most people just don't give two fucks because it's not their money. That goes for more than just fuel too - all sorts of spending.

6. ningnangnong

Yeah blud, but you said you don't know why people fill up there... I'm speculating that it may be because the fuel they're buying isn't being paid for out of their own pocket, but rather by the company they work for.

7. Browny

Browny State of Origin Captain

Drunk
    Right , yeah sorry still half asleep

8. Morkel

Morkel

My brother-in-law (the cash-in-hand on the side jobs so his wife doesn’t lose her Centrelink) has a work van and every time he fills up he also fills up a 20L jerry can for himself so his work just thinks that’s how big the van’s tank is.

9. Seriously though. You suckers don't have a work fuel card? BRB going to Shell.

10. Sproj

Sproj

Don't even have a car, scooter is all the rage over here.

11. Morkel

Morkel

My son starts prep this year. He’s enrolled for after school care with his older sister, and has been booked in for months. We just found out that for the first week Prep finishes at 2pm. After school care (attached to the school) can’t take the kids before 3pm because of licensing etc. WTF?

12. So it means five times you have to find someone to look after for an hour, it's a pain but what can you do? Probably suck it up I suppose but it'll be a memory soon enough.

13. Morkel

Morkel

Easier said than done. The wife’s family won’t help. Mine would be willing but live far enough away for the whole trip + minding time to end up 3 hours. Can’t ask for that 5 days in a row.

I’m happy to pay someone to do it, but finding someone we trust + has that time free every day is not as easy as posting on Gumtree. It would actually be easier to not have him go to school for the week, as it’s easier to organise a day of care than one hour. And that’s not an option.

Even, you know, doing it ourselves is not an option as the wife’s boss is away at that time and she’s acting manager (also works an hour away, so basically means finishing at 1 every day), and I’m in essentially the same boat. It’s almost impossible to take your responsibilities as an employee and as a parent seriously.

14. Jedhead

Jedhead QCup Player

Pay one of the after school casual to on come in an hour early for their shift. My two daughters do OSH and the extra hour cashin hand would be welcomed by a few good young Uni students.

15. Whatta ya mean they won't help........WTF is their problem??

Scratch that.......

Apologise immediately for whatever it is you said and beg their forgiveness.......

16. All true. Imagine being a single parent as I was ! It's all a faded memory for me now but I faced hurdles like that and that's why I say, this too shall pass. It's certainly tough but most bosses will understand. I'd alternate with the wife for two days each and call on family to make the effort on the other day. Spread the load and not upset a boss too much, maybe start an hour early if possible as well, if that's an option for either.

Morkel likes this.
  17. Morkel

Morkel

That's likely what'll eventually happen. In isolation it doesn't seem like a big deal. But in reality, our oldest daughter does competitive cheerleading, it's literally 4 nights, 5 classes a week, and we have to work in with other parents to get the kids there. So my wife already leaves early and stays late one day a week (I did that for the previous 2 years), and my Mum does one day a week too, driving from Mt Tamborine every time. It's our choice, of course. Then when day care rings and says one of the kids has a slight temperature (coincidentally after they've been running around at lunch time) and we need to pick them up immediately and there's a 48 hour exclusion, well, you end up being a liability at work.

Doing that as a single parent would be... not fun.

I don't think that would even be possible. I would imagine if someone tried to use the building outside of the licensed hours they'd likely be fired.

You're not wrong to think that :)

But in actual fact they're just bums. She has 3 sisters. One works full time, one other is one of those people that has self-diagnosed "fibromyalgia", and the last one is the lazy partner of the tax-dodging deadshit, she's not doing anything that doesn't result in more centrelink benefits. And her mum, she refuses to drive more than 5 minutes, and if she does it's only for cigarettes or lotto tickets. And anything between 11am and 4pm could potentially cut in to her nap time, so my wife has given up asking for any form of help.

Mr Fourex likes this.
  18. broncos4life

broncos4life International Rep

This always amazes me. From everything I have seen your wife comes across as proper normal yet the rest of her family are deadshits. It's crazy how often you seem families of absolutely flogs yet somehow one of them is good. Makes a strong case for nature over nurture.

Harry Sack likes this.
  19. She married Morkel. Nothing normal about her.

20. Morkel

Morkel

Don't get me wrong, they're all "good" people in their own way. The the two that don't work are just lazy and learned from their mother the government-benefits lifestyle. ****, before the school buses would pick them up from the end of the driveway, their mum would often let them skip school because she was too lazy to drive them literally 3 minutes down the road.

I'd like to say that I influenced my wife in some way to drag her out of that lifestyle, but she was always incredibly kind and driven, maybe because she had to pick up so much slack because of their slackass mum (she's the oldest of the four). The youngest sister was 11 when I first met my wife, and she's the one who works full time, so I suspect she watched my wife & I get stuck in to work, watched us buy our own house, investment properties etc (while the other sisters bummed at home), and was influenced by that.

broncospwn likes this.