The right to bag stuff out

Tom

State of Origin Rep
YouTube and their fucking ads. Adblock won't block them anymore.

It wouldn't be an issue if there wasn't an ad every 2 minutes of Clive Palmer speaking shit.
They are even putting ads at the end of every video now. And sometimes there are 2 at the beginning. It has become ridiculous.

soup

State of Origin Rep
It’s gonna do them in if they aren’t careful.

I guess they’re angling for the same subscription model of Netflix, Stan, Spotify, etc.

Since I’ve cancelled my Spotify subscription (in favour of paying for Kayo), I can’t even use the service anymore due to the invasive advertising, always at louder volume levels/more condensed sound. It actually turns me off Spotify long term, pushing me back to Plex and torrenting music.

Same with Netflix, to a degree. I’m using Plex more than ever simply due to the flat spots in terms of new content. I’ve also cancelled Netflix, but have access through a family members account for free.

I find it interesting after my own almost thirty years of piracy, that I’ve come full circle via paid subscriptions and now back where I started due to the business models of digital content delivery.

If Kayo ever brings in advertising on top of the Foxtel norm, I’ll cancel that, too.

Last edited:

Kimlo

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
I've got YouTube premium and have had for years.

It's worth it, very worth it. YouTube is absolutely my no1 most consumed digital media, the price is fair and I don't even take advantage of the fact you get free Google Music out of that which would cancel out the need for a Spotify/Apple Music type sub.

Sure you get ads on YouTube, but it's actually helping independent creators. It's an entirely different beast from Foxtel where you're paying for a sub to Murdoch ontop of having to watch shitty ads. At least if I see a YouTube ad it's helping actual individuals instead of billion dollar corps even if Google takes a fair slice of it.

If you've got uBlock and it works, I'd at least suggest you consider disabling it on a per channel basis for small time creators. People deserve to be paid for their work.

soup

State of Origin Rep
I've got YouTube premium and have had for years.

It's worth it, very worth it. YouTube is absolutely my no1 most consumed digital media, the price is fair and I don't even take advantage of the fact you get free Google Music out of that which would cancel out the need for a Spotify/Apple Music type sub.

Sure you get ads on YouTube, but it's actually helping independent creators. It's an entirely different beast from Foxtel where you're paying for a sub to Murdoch ontop of having to watch shitty ads. At least if I see a YouTube ad it's helping actual individuals instead of billion dollar corps even if Google takes a fair slice of it.

If you've got uBlock and it works, I'd at least suggest you consider disabling it on a per channel basis for small time creators. People deserve to be paid for their work.
A couple of questions:

So you still see adverts with a paid premium subscription?

And, if YouTube premium gives you Google Music, how does it compare to Spotify in terms of functionality and catalogue?

I’d be interested in paying for YouTube simply for the extra music service if it’s comparable or better.

Kimlo

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
A couple of questions:

And, if YouTube premium gives you Google Music, how does it compare to Spotify in terms of functionality and catalogue?

I’d be interested in paying for YouTube simply for the extra music service if it’s comparable or better.
Haven't seen a YouTube ad in years, and I watch a lot of YouTube on my phone and Xbox, anywhere I'm signed in, there is no ads.

Google Music is pretty similar to Spotify, I'm sharing Spotify with someone though and Spotify has an Xbox app so it's just never bothered me enough to make the switch and get my playlists across. If I wasn't already tied to Spotify I'd gladly use Google Music instead, you can even upload your own music into GMusic which is a nice bonus.

soup

State of Origin Rep
Haven't seen a YouTube ad in years, and I watch a lot of YouTube on my phone and Xbox, anywhere I'm signed in, there is no ads.

Google Music is pretty similar to Spotify, I'm sharing Spotify with someone though and Spotify has an Xbox app so it's just never bothered me enough to make the switch and get my playlists across. If I wasn't already tied to Spotify I'd gladly use Google Music instead, you can even upload your own music into GMusic which is a nice bonus.
Yeah, moving all the playlists would be hellish, which reminds me how much better it is to have control of your own content, rather than be locked into a proprietary database.

That said, there’s really no better way to discover new music than the subscription services.

I’ll look into it more tomorrow. I must admit that I do really miss discovering new music and having it on demand like I did with Spotify.

soup

State of Origin Rep
I should state, my main issue with the subscription-based content is simply the accumulated cost. Trying to save for a home deposit has made me cancel a lot of subscriptions.

I have to pay for Adobe CC (full suite) and that’s bloody expensive, though somewhat of a tax write-off. Hosting/domains/Kayo/Microsoft Office and family OneDrive/Plex/VPN are the main ones left now, though there’s others I can’t think of at the moment.

I’ve cut out Foxtel/Netflix/Spotify/BHQ/instructables/plus others in the past few months and that extra cash is invaluable.

Last edited:

Nashy

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
A couple of questions:

I tried Google Music for a good 6 months and have just gone back to Spotify. It's a shitty app, the music suggestions it throws at you are absolutely useless too. Spotify is well ahead of Google.

soup

State of Origin Rep
I tried Google Music for a good 6 months and have just gone back to Spotify. It's a shitty app, the music suggestions it throws at you are absolutely useless too. Spotify is well ahead of Google.
Good to know. I suspected as much. Cheers

Super Freak

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
No sausage sizzle at the voting venue here.

What in the actual **** is up with that? It's the only thing that makes me go and vote!

Morkel

International Captain
Staff
No sausage sizzle at the voting venue here.

What in the actual **** is up with that? It's the only thing that makes me go and vote!
You’re only supposed to be voting early if you can’t make it on Saturday. They’re not going to have sausages cooking every day for a week leading up to it. Sausages are for voting day only AFAIC.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Twitter