The right to bag stuff out

Super Freak

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
Trying to convince my dad to go to the hospital. Problem is, he is being stubborn and the hospital won't do anything if he doesn't want them to do anything.

He has the flu and there is a new strain of Influenza going around which is causing pneumonia, it's already killed some people. He is a high risk of getting pneumonia and has scarring on the lungs as a result of having pneumonia a few times in the past.

He has this thing you breath in and it gives you a score. 300-350, go to a doctor. 300 and under, go to the hospital. He is blowing 270.

But, he is too fucking stubborn.

Super Freak

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
Trying to convince my dad to go to the hospital. Problem is, he is being stubborn and the hospital won't do anything if he doesn't want them to do anything.

He has the flu and there is a new strain of Influenza going around which is causing pneumonia, it's already killed some people. He is a high risk of getting pneumonia and has scarring on the lungs as a result of having pneumonia a few times in the past.

He has this thing you breath in and it gives you a score. 300-350, go to a doctor. 300 and under, go to the hospital. He is blowing 270.

But, he is too fucking stubborn.
Fucking hallelujah, he is finally agreeing to go.

Morkel

International Captain
Staff
Well, after 14 years, I rocked up to work yesterday greeted with a BBQ breakfast for all of us, and the sad declaration that the business had gone in to receivership and we were all out of a job.

There's really no one to be pissed off with here. I mean, I've fought for 13 of those 14 years about how things should be run, but as most of you know, I always think I know better. In the end a combination of factors killed us. A shrinking market and dead economy are one, but we also had a Workplace Health & Safety inspection effectively destroy all productivity for a month as we bowed to their whims. We had the bank renege on finance at the 11th hour on some critical equipment, meaning we had to dip in to reserves to pay for it. And to top it off, our two biggest clients went under a week ago, not only owing us a lot of money, but destroying hopes of a projected $2-$3 million in work over the next 12 months.

My boss was in tears, and the poor bugger has literally done everything to keep us alive, he'd remortgaged his house, left no stone unturned, and will lose everything he built over the last 30 years.

We are lucky that, because it's going in to receivership, we can take our own IP and display company works on our portfolios and the sales guys can take clients with the to wherever the end up. But despite the liquidators telling my boss to just lock the doors and turn us away, we had 2 hours to madly raid the servers for files, and grab our stuff. And say goodbye to everyone. So my wife came and picked me up as I left 14 years of hard work, my car, my phone, and a lot of memories behind. No payout, no entitlements (not until the receivers are done, and they'll vulture it all up for themselves), the vast majority of my working life ended in the blink of an eye.

Last edited:

Sproj

International Rep
Staff
Goodness, that’s a lot to take in. You got prospects of work elsewhere? Was that completely unexpected?

Morkel

International Captain
Staff
Goodness, that’s a lot to take in. You got prospects of work elsewhere? Was that completely unexpected?
I knew we were quiet, but apart from that, no. It's only been a day so we're all still in shock, but I've done up my resume, my portfolio, and am just hitting up places hard. I'm not too concerned, just a lot to take in.

Just sucks because we'd been doing it tough for ages, I'd been working on weekends to make ends meet, we were finally starting to get on top of things and boom. That's life though. Plenty of people going through worse.

BroncosAlways

NRL Player
Home
Sorry to hear Morkel Morkel these things are never easy.

Keep your head high mate, spend some quality time with the family and I'm sure things will be on the up for you in no time.

roo-ted

NRL Player
Well, after 14 years, I rocked up to work yesterday greeted with a BBQ breakfast for all of us, and the sad declaration that the business had gone in to receivership and we were all out of a job.

There's really no one to be pissed off with here. I mean, I've fought for 13 of those 14 years about how things should be run, but as most of you know, I always think I know better. In the end a combination of factors killed us. A shrinking market and dead economy are one, but we also had a Workplace Health & Safety inspection effectively destroy all productivity for a month as we bowed to their whims. We had the bank renege on finance at the 11th hour on some critical equipment, meaning we had to dip in to reserves to pay for it. And to top it off, our two biggest clients went under a week ago, not only owing us a lot of money, but destroying hopes of a projected $2-$3 million in work over the next 12 months.

My boss was in tears, and the poor bugger has literally done everything to keep us alive, he'd remortgaged his house, left no stone unturned, and will lose everything he built over the last 30 years.

We are lucky that, because it's going in to receivership, we can take our own IP and display company works on our portfolios and the sales guys can take clients with the to wherever the end up. But despite the liquidators telling my boss to just lock the doors and turn us away, we had 2 hours to madly raid the servers for files, and grab our stuff. And say goodbye to everyone. So my wife came and picked me up as I left 14 years of hard work, my car, my phone, and a lot of memories behind. No payout, no entitlements (not until the receivers are done, and they'll vulture it all up for themselves), the vast majority of my working life ended in the blink of an eye.
Shit mate sorry to hear that. I’ve had a similar situation happen to me but I hadn’t been working there for 14 years! With that kind of experience you shouldn’t find it to hard to link up with different company. Can I ask what industry you work in ?

Last edited:

Jedhead

NRL Player

Mate that sucks the big one. I feel for your boss too. I know the feeling well, it happened to my business 15 years ago when it became apparent that buying a fax, printer, lappy, PC was cheaper than getting it repaired. Coupled with this my business partners (IBM, Sharp Apple) all began to heavily promote online sales which just crippled the small business model.

Aldo

NRL Player
New South Wails
That's terrible news Morks and thoughts are with you mate. Been in a similar position and it ain't a good feeling. All the best with the job hunt bud. Sounds like you're on top of it.

Morkel

International Captain
Staff
Shit mate sorry to hear that. I’ve had a similar situation happen to me but I hadn’t been working there for 14 years! With that kind of experience you shouldn’t find it to hard to link up with different company. Can I ask what industry you work in ?
Graphic designer, but working in large format printing and sign graphics.

If anyone has anything remotely that they can think of, like a signwriter that has done work for them, please PM me, I'm putting my feelers out everywhere. Preferably south-side of Brisbane, Logan, northern Gold Coast.

soup

State of Origin Rep
T’ba
Graphic designer, but working in large format printing and sign graphics.

If anyone has anything remotely that they can think of, like a signwriter that has done work for them, please PM me, I'm putting my feelers out everywhere. Preferably south-side of Brisbane, Logan, northern Gold Coast.
Best of luck mate. It’s a tough industry with international competition these days. I really feel for your boss, too. I’ve been in a similar position.

Ever thought about tutoring via Open Universities? Work from home stuff. I’ve never done it but considering it. A mate of mine used to teach criminology through them and she loved it. Very flexible.

GCBRONCO

International Rep
Gold Coast
A teen in the US with an online name of "ArmyOfChrist," arrested by the FBI for support for mass murders and online threats against planned parenthood clinics and found to be in possession of 25 firearms and over 10000 rounds of ammo. Some moron will probably now claim thoughts and prayers stopped him from doing it 🙄
- Merged

And enough with the fucking Clive Palmer propaganda on Youtube, Australia's version of Donald Trump.

Last edited:

Tom

State of Origin Rep
What in the **** is going on with Nick Kyrgios? How old is he now? Just saw this one.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Twitter