The right to bag the Broncos halves

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
Hoffman is a fine fullback. With proper halves. Unfortunately (and in no way his fault), he's stuck with 2 barely FG standard guys at the Broncos, so his style just doesn't suit the team.

Re: Kangaroos vs. Kiwis

Completely disagree. Hoffman has been great running the ball but I swear he hasn't passed the ball once all night. The reason why is because he's not a fullback, and the first few rounds have shown that.
Who cares? It's another opportunity to bag the halves!
Watch how the same people that whinge and moan about everything Broncos, will be the first riding their coat-tails of success if and when we do well...

Who cares? It's another opportunity to bag the halves!
Watch how the same people that whinge and moan about everything Broncos, will be the first riding their coat-tails of success if and when we do well...

Some people are just being realistic. Everyone from every other side knows that our halves are ordinary. But you expect every Broncos fan to defend them just because they play for us?

Some people are just being realistic. Everyone from every other side knows that our halves are ordinary. But you expect every Broncos fan to defend them just because they play for us?

I think Porthoz's point is that the halves well known weaknesses don't excuse the other obvious weaknesses of the likes of Hoffman at fullback. He'd be in the grand final of worst attacking fullbacks with Zillman.

Realistic? Lol, that's a good one! No, really...
Nah, just defend them only when they deserve it. Every single post of yours is to bag the Broncos, especially the halves, you never have anything positive to say. That not even pessimism, it's just bad faith.

That's the sort of attitude I hate, not that you'll give a shit, because you'll happily carry on and cheer the victories anyway, while bagging everything you can at every opportunity...

I think Porthoz's point is that the halves well known weaknesses don't excuse the other obvious weaknesses of the likes of Hoffman at fullback. He'd be in the grand final of worst attacking fullbacks with Zillman.
Well, that was my first thought, but I forgot to mention it amid my rant... :001_tt2:

Realistic? Lol, that's a good one! No, really...
Nah, just defend them only when they deserve it. Every single post of yours is to bag the Broncos, especially the halves, you never have anything positive to say. That not even pessimism, it's just bad faith.

That's the sort of attitude I hate, not that you'll give a ****, because you'll happily carry on and cheer the victories anyway, while bagging everything you can at every opportunity...

I don't bag everyone. I rate the forward pack highly, I defend some of our backs at times...Outside of the spine, I don't really have any problems. Clearly you are just too upset I'm targeting anyone at all. I want the Broncos to be the best they can be, while you seem to be happy with just any win we can get.

Hoffman is a fine fullback. With proper halves. Unfortunately (and in no way his fault), he's stuck with 2 barely FG standard guys at the Broncos, so his style just doesn't suit the team.

No he's not....he's a fine winger.

This is where I end up on the situation.

On one hand, our halves are indeed very ordinary, most halves in the competition are very ordinary and I don't think we're going to play the style of football I want to see us play while we continue to persist with Peter Wallace as our marquee half. I also believe I was completely justified to bag out Scott Prince's performance.

On the other, I feel like some fans have tunnel vision and blame all our problems on the halves. We could get absolutely smashed by 40 points and somehow it'd be Wallace's fault because he knocked on at the 60th minute when the side was down by 28 points.

The idea that any fan who bags a player, (or does something other than completely agree with everything and everyone involved in the club) is not a real fan or is just a fair weather fan is ludicrous.

To sit by and just accept mediocrity and to not hope/wish for your team to be the absolute best...to me shows a lack of passion toward "your team"

I don't bag everyone. I rate the forward pack highly, I defend some of our backs at times...Outside of the spine, I don't really have any problems. Clearly you are just too upset I'm targeting anyone at all. I want the Broncos to be the best they can be, while you seem to be happy with just any win we can get.
Moved to a new thread so not to clutter the Aus - NZ game thread.

Seriously though, this is what shits me to tears. Any win?
It wouldn't surprise me that much to see all the teams we played in the first 6 rounds in the top 8 at the end of the regular season, or at the very least 5 of them. We have improved so much compared to last season, yet all defeats are because of the halves and the wins are despite of the halves!

If the forwards lay a platform for the halves to do their job, credit to the forwards. If not, it's the halves that are not creative enough... Have you ever seen any halve doing anything worth mentioning behind a beaten pack?

The fullback doesn't have a clue about a second man play, when to pass the ball, run or kick? It's the halves fault! :glare:
We have a great second man play and quick hands going on our left side attack? It's because of the fullback chiming in and despite of Wallace doing anything worthy. You know, like running well at the line and passing the ball at the right moment!

Just fucking watch a game without the preconceived notion that the halves are gonna be shit. Actually observe their work, on and off the ball, and base your opinions on what happened on the field, not your imagination!

This is where I end up on the situation.

On one hand, our halves are indeed very ordinary, most halves in the competition are very ordinary and I don't think we're going to play the style of football I want to see us play while we continue to persist with Peter Wallace as our marquee half. I also believe I was completely justified to bag out Scott Prince's performance.

On the other, I feel like some fans have tunnel vision and blame all our problems on the halves. We could get absolutely smashed by 40 points and somehow it'd be Wallace's fault because he knocked on at the 60th minute when the side was down by 28 points.

If we ever get smashed, then everyone bags the entire team, not just the halves.

For the most part, our side is going really well. Our forward, just like last year, are going with a very physical bash approach. They are completely dominating the opposition, and it doesn't take much to finish them off. This is just fact.

At some point, just like last year, you'd think the physical bash approach will start to take it's toll, and then we'll have to rely more on creativity to win. This is where I have a problem, because as everyone (other than some blind Broncos fans can see) around the world can see, our halves are ordinary at doing their job ( arguably the most important job in the side too).

Prince has been terrible for years, we all bagged him when he was at the Titans. Now that he's joined the Broncos, we are expected to defend him, is that it? Wallace has been ordinary throughout most of his career. McCullough's service has been incredibly slow. The spine is the most important part of the side, and ours is among the worst. Now we can be happy with any win we can get now, just like Porthos, but others can see that the club isn't even looking towards the future.

This latest round of pessimism/cynicism is due to the following:

1. No club footy
2. Widdop signed with the Dragons and a few of us wanted us to sign him
3. Hoffman's performance at fullback in the test match

We'll be playing the Tigers in a weeks time with our average halves doing enough to win and Hoffman crushing it yet again on the wing.

Last edited:
That doesn't happen though Alec, when the Broncos do get smashed it's typically Wallace's fault and we get the usual suspects bagging the ever living crap out of him even when he isn't even in the top 3 worst Broncos on the field - just cause.

It's a free country but honestly I just skim a lot of posts when they're basically like 'ermagod worst halves ever, worst hooker ever, worst fullback ever, worst coach ever, worst recruitment ever' and we're only in April.

vertigo said:
3. Hoffman's performance at fullback in the test match

I don't get how his performance was a negative.

He was on a hiding to nothing. First game back at fullback since the trials, in a side that was rated virtually no chance of winning in a game which included some of the best defence we've seen so far in this competition, of course Hoffman wasn't going to suddenly pick up the ball playing skills of Karmichael Hunt. He was still one of the better Kiwis on the field.

If that made people stroppy then gee we have some sensitive souls on here.

Last edited:
As for Hoffman, I don't want him at fullback at the moment either. But he was voted our best back for like 2 years running with Lockyer in the halves. Surely that says something.

As for Hoffman, I don't want him at fullback at the moment either. But he was voted our best back for like 2 years running with Lockyer in the halves. Surely that says something.

It means Hoffman isn't moving with the times, with Lockyer retiring.

The idea that any fan who bags a player, (or does something other than completely agree with everything and everyone involved in the club) is not a real fan or is just a fair weather fan is ludicrous.

To sit by and just accept mediocrity and to not hope/wish for your team to be the absolute best...to me shows a lack of passion toward "your team"
Oh ffs, pull the other one mate!

I criticise when there are reasons for it, not just because it's the in thing to do, and when I do, I never fail to offer what I believe is a better alternative. That's called constructive criticism, look it up!

Just because I don't embark in this bag everything I can possibly bag, doesn't mean I don't want the best for the Broncos!

Are our halves the best they can be? No.
Would Widdop or even more ridiculous, Soward make a difference? **** no, they're no better than what we have!
I wanted Dugan at fullback, until he proved he's the most stupid person on this planet.
I wanted Widdop to replace Norman at the back, to prevent Hoffman to go back where he doesn't belong, but not at that price tag!
Kahu will hopefully do the job from 2014 onwards!

What else is out there in terms of playmakers?
Carney is an option, but if there's any truth to him declining a $900K a year from the Warriors to stay for $650K at the Sharks, then good on him. I certainly don't expect the Broncos to offer $1M a season for Carney!
Could Shaun Johnson be lured? I hope so, but we'll have a fight on our hands!
Is Hunt a solution? He doesn't prove it to the trainer or anyone else when it counts... The pre-season and trials!

The rest is just pipe dreams, as none of the kids out there has proven anything or shown they are capable of handling the pressure that is leading a team such as the Broncos, and there are no established playmakers worth thinking about available.

Maybe we should've gone harder after DCE and/or Thurston, but it was always going to be a tough ask to pry them away from their clubs.

On the other hand, doesn't the team deserve credit for what they have been doing? Doesn't their performance, other than the second half of the scum game deserve praise? Even the game against the chooks was full of courage, where both defenses were superior to the attacks, and it's not like the grubs can't score points!

Do we actually know what the club is doing in the background and is not being advertised in every media outlet? Nope!
Unfortunately, these kinds of deals have to be done in secret, so it's not like the Broncos can inform their members and fans about their intentions and plans besides what they have done, which is saying they will be pursuing a playmaker now that Norman is leaving.

I just want people to put things into perspective, and not go about blindly bagging players and the club without thinking!

Last edited:

Active Now

• Mustafur
  • Stix
  • Fitzy
  • GCBRONCO
  • Sproj
  • Organix
  • Culhwch
  • Johnny92
  • Morkel
  • BRC088
  • BroncosAlways
  • Bish
  • FACTHUNT
  • bazza
  • big k
  • Battler
  • RolledOates
  • broncos4life
  • Harry Sack
  • Skyblues87
... and 7 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.