Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014

Nrl23 qldmattersofstate g22

Christian Nicolussi​

June 5, 2023

There are seven key reasons NSW coach Brad Fittler could end Adam Reynolds’ seven-year Origin exile and get the in-form Brisbane halfback back in the Blues No.7 jersey.

The hamstring injury to Nathan Cleary has created a vacancy in the Blues side for the all-important second game against Queensland at Suncorp Stadium.

And while Nicho Hynes is the favourite to be elevated into the starting side, Reynolds is confident he has the big-game experience to steer the Blues around the paddock should he get the call-up.

It’s a view shared by his Broncos coach Kevin Walters, who knows all too well what it takes to succeed in Origin, having been a longstanding former player and coach for the Maroons.

Former South Sydney star Reynolds, 32, played just two games for the Blues in 2016 before a neck injury suffered in the second game ruled him out of the final match.

But his defence, his superior kicking game, his experience and his ability to create space for his outside men will give Fittler plenty to think about.

So, too, will the fact Reynolds now plays his club footy in Brisbane, which means he has an intimate knowledge of Suncorp Stadium, as well as any weaknesses in the games of key Maroons and Broncos players Reece Walsh, Tom Flegler, Selwyn Cobbo and Pat Carrigan.

Reynolds has years of experience playing alongside the current crop of Blues, such as hooker Api Koroisau, with whom he won a premiership at Souths in 2014, and returning Rabbitohs fullback Latrell Mitchell.

“I’ve certainly never given up on my Origin dream,” Reynolds told this masthead on Monday after the news broke that Cleary was out for six weeks.

“I’m passionate about my state, and it’s always been a burning desire to get back there and finish what I was trying to achieve back then. It’s up to Freddy [Fittler] and the selectors now.

“I played Origin at a time of my career when I was actually uncertain about my future in the game. But Origin got me back loving the game and enjoying myself.

“Footy had become a bit of a grind. We were having a down year after we had won the comp, the World Club Challenge and Auckland Nines.

“I didn’t understand my game like the way I do now. I also have a greater appreciation for that Origin arena. Back then I would do things based on my feel for the game. Now I know how to get a team around the field a lot better, and what works and doesn’t work.”

Reynolds’ kicking game was more effective than Hynes’s when they went head-to-head in the Brisbane-Cronulla game on Saturday night, even though Hynes and the Sharks had more possession.

Reynolds was also confident he could partner well with incumbent Blues five-eighth Jarome Luai, saying: “I think I play a style of football that complements most five-eighths.

“My job would be creating space for my outside men and letting them do all the good stuff. I try to make everyone around me better. I’m not your guy who comes up with all the stuff that makes the highlights reels.

“I know what makes those guys [the Brisbane-based Maroons] tick, and what they look for in certain areas of the field.

“I’m always looking at ways to break down a team each weekend. That’s the part of the game I enjoy the most, coming up with a game plan and going out and executing it. Whatever happens, I’ll be supporting the Blues.”

Walters would love to see Reynolds return to the big stage, even though he would never cheer for him on the night.

“Reyno’s point of difference would be his experience in such a big game, and he’s in good touch,” Walters said.

“He’s played in Origins before, at Suncorp, he’s played in grand finals, at Suncorp. I’d never want to help NSW, but out of respect to Reyno, I think he’d do a great job.

“He’s your classical Origin half who kicks well and defends well and he’s a smart footballer - he takes good options.”

As he has got older, Reynolds has worked on how to get the best out of his body every week, having a sauna built in his home and embracing bikram yoga.

Walters was not concerned at the toll an Origin campaign would have on his skipper in the run home to the finals.

“You want as many of your guys playing in those big games because it’s great for them and the club,” he said.

Sydney Morning Herald

We just have to hope that Fitler is an idiot and picks Brooks or someone else. .

Does Freddy want a halfback or an assistant coach?

Does he know anything about anything... or does he need to rely on club combinations and his players informing him of his opponents.

Bloke is a spud that has largely failed with a team that's been playing post Qld dynasty with superior playing talent.

Someone should snatch ARey.......and lock him in their basement

only let him out for Broncos training and game day

Just until SOO is over. 😉

Surprise Youre Coming With Me GIF by Hollyoaks

The bronco player representation in origin and internationals is actually a really good reflection on the club and would be something that I think kevie and DD should be really getting out particularly regarding recruitment and retention.

Play for the broncos and improve as a player (reyno playing career best form), get picked in rep sides, play with good players and compete for premierships.

The bronco player representation in origin and internationals is actually a really good reflection on the club and would be something that I think kevie and DD should be really getting out particularly regarding recruitment and retention.

Play for the broncos and improve as a player (reyno playing career best form), get picked in rep sides, play with good players and compete for premierships.
100%! Most of our entire starting team is playing origin, played origin in the past, or played for their country (teir 1s too).

We must be cheating the salary cap, that's why we don't want attention brought to it...

1. Reece Walsh (origin player)
2. Corey Oates (origin player)
3. Kotoni Staggs (origin player)
4. Herbie Farnworth (England WC)
5. Selwyn Cobbo (origin player)
6. Ezra Mam (future origin player)
7. Adam Reynolds (origin player)
8. Thomas Flegler (origin player)
9. Billy Walters (future immortal)
10. Payne Haas (origin player)
11. Kurt Capewell (origin player)
12. Jordan Riki (Mairi All stars)
13. Patrick Carrigan (origin player)

100%! Most of our entire starting team is playing origin, played origin in the past, or played for their country (teir 1s too).

We must be cheating the salary cap, that's why we don't want attention brought to it...

The Sombrero has room for all

If Oates didn't have his injuries this year there's a chance he's on the other wing in game one over Murray. But he should of been in all 3 games last year but only got picked for one...
That's a Bronco Qld back 3, last time that happened would of been Lockyer, Wendell, Lote?

Is it me or every time we seem to have a starting player who is from NSW they make origin at some point.

Like there is no way players like Wallace or Roberts would have made the NSW team if they didn't play for us.

Reynolds chances of being picked just went up.

Api broken jaw, they will pick Cook which will likely mean Walker will be picked. They will need a utility and Hynes is probably the best option which would open up a spot for Reynolds.

The temptation to have that Walker/Reynolds/Cook combination will be too strong for Fittler to resist I reckon.

Reynolds chances of being picked just went up.

Api broken jaw, they will pick Cook which will likely mean Walker will be picked. They will need a utility and Hynes is probably the best option which would open up a spot for Reynolds.

The temptation to have that Walker/Reynolds/Cook combination will be too strong for Fittler to resist I reckon.
it went up surely but I think Cook was getting picked regardless as a bench spot because I see them having 2 hookers this time.

Luai is obviously in the team because of the combination nothing else as Walker is the best 6 in club footy by a mile atm.

I think Hynes is still in the front seat though thinking how Freddy would pick, it's either Luai/Hynes or Walker/Hynes that will be his first choice assuming he plays well in his game this round, if he flops I think Reyno will take it but it's his to lose as of right now.

Hynes has a shit game the combo will almost certainty be Walker and Reyno.

Going by this season it seems NSW train the team to death, if Reyno gets picked and gets through the game unscathed, Kevvie MUST rest him on the backup game, he has to put his foot down and force this because he seems to buckle on Reynos suggestions like the Flegs starting over Jensen which I think has proved to be worse.

If Reyno gets picked we got to have some of us or something making signs to Kevvie in training or whatever because this is everything.

Jimmy Fallon Lol GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Active Now

• Foordy
  • kiwibronco
  • teampjta
  • Xzei
  • Browny
  • Jedhead
  • Midean
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.