NEWS The tactic the Broncos may employ to stop the Panthers from winning a third straight grand final

BHQArticleImagePatrickCarriganL

Brisbane may have found the template to beat Penrith in the NRL grand final after an offloading spree enabled the Broncos to run riot in their win over the Warriors.

The Broncos had 23 offloads in the 42-12 triumph in Saturday night's preliminary final at Lang Park.

All of their seven tries featured offloads in the lead-up or act of scoring.

It is a style of play that Parramatta has used with success in the past against the Panthers, who are chasing a third straight premiership.

The Eels have won four of their past six matches against the Panthers, including a 32-18 win in round 26 this year.

Broncos hooker Billy Walters — who scored two tries against the Warriors — said he and his teammates may opt to use the same tactics in next Sunday's grand final at Sydney's Stadium Australia.

"I think offloads rattle a lot of teams, so it might work against Penrith," Walters said.

"They are pretty smart, our coaches. They are a tough team to break down but we will be ready."

Second-rower Kurt Capewell — who won the 2021 premiership with the Panthers — said the offloading against the Warriors was part of the Broncos' attacking artillery that would be vital to beat his former club.

"You have got to use everything in your bag to beat Penrith," he said.

"Their defence is the best in the comp (competition) and we will be trying everything in our kit bag to try and break it apart.

"Offloading is instinctive. It is off the cuff. That is how we like to play. It is our Broncos brand of footy and these guys are great at it."

The Broncos will appear in their first NRL grand final since 2015.

Their most recent NRL premiership came in 2006.

The Panthers advanced to a fourth straight grand final with a convincing 38-4 victory over the Melbourne Storm in the first preliminary final on Friday night.

ABC

I’m loving this tag line of broncos brand of footy, we know our brand of footy etc.

It’s great to have this distinct style back. We aren’t a boring grinding team, we play with flair and it’s exciting.

Gets bums on seats, then those bums don’t stay on the edge of the seat, they get off the seats to cheer on another freakish try.

I’ve heard two riff players say the same line now. “We’re hunting history”. Sounds a bit cringy and Parra have already done it, but if I’m Kevvie I’m making mention of it to the boys as a catch phrase like that sounds like the riff are arrogantly prioritising a boastful record rather than focusing on their opposition.

They might be hunting history, but I can assure you we’re hunting the black cats.

We have a like a plan A, B, C, D and E plus E sharp and then a few more. This is the most impressive thing about us, we are going to be super hard to shut down.
They haven't faced nothing like this in their dominance over the past few seasons.
The offloads last night would of been a warning shot saying we've got this in our trick bag too..
They may have the GF experience and have been a force the last few seasons but I think they'd be nervous at what we can throw at them and how they can shut it down.

Active Now

• Midean
  • Strop
  • Manifesto
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Old Mate
  • LittleDavey
  • Mister Wright
  • Xzei
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Financeguy
  • Broncosgirl
  • Waynesaurus
  • Footy Fanatic
  • FACTHUNT
  • jd87
  • Griffo
  • Skyblues87
  • Galah
  • Manofoneway
... and 10 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.