The Wayne Bennett Super thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
With Vidot now essentially gone I wonder if Garbutt is next? Don't have any inside news or anything but my impression is that WB isn't a fan.

I had a similar impression too but let's not forget that Garbutt has a back condition that requires treatment.

I'd say it's more about easing him in as opposed to not being a fan of his.

I had a similar impression too but let's not forget that Garbutt has a back condition that requires treatment.

I'd say it's more about easing him in as opposed to not being a fan of his.

I'd agree with this.

Didn't Bennett recruit Garbutt? They both signed with us within a week of each other, but then I am sure Bennett's brain was working overtime before then.

You're right, Garbutt signed within days of Bennett announcing his return but it's difficult to know for sure.

Don't forget with signings like Mitch, they're usually so far down the pipe-line by the time they're announced they could have hashed this out in like April/May and chose to release the info then to relieve some pressure.

I'd agree with this.

Didn't Bennett recruit Garbutt? They both signed with us within a week of each other, but then I am sure Bennett's brain was working overtime before then.

Garbutt signed a week before Benett.

With Vidot now essentially gone I wonder if Garbutt is next? Don't have any inside news or anything but my impression is that WB isn't a fan.

I still have hope he at least gets a shot during origin if he stays, Hodges out with Copley in the centres, surely by this stage Copley will be back and one of Oates,Maranta or Reed will make way.

Unlikely, but I can hope

Edit: FTR I want Oates to stay, whether on the wing or In the backrow. Just implying that of those most likely it'll be one of those 3

Last edited:
I'm confused what this thread is even about now. It's the Wayne Bennett Super Thread. But what does Super mean in this context.

It means a mod really cant handle misreading something and flying off the handle half cocked.

From the vidot thread, since I'm banned from it for not drinking the cool aid:

1910 said:
All his discpline issues were minor; no scandal here. Simple fact is he isn't wanted which is Bennett's call. Jets' players were told on Tuesday he wouldn't be back.

Truth is he wasn't wanted from the start; Jets knew they were going to have him from December.

Surprise surprise, Bennett just didn't want to work with him or give him a chance. Yet now in that thread people are pulling out every excuse in the book from him eating fast food to giving up too early. It was clear from the start - Bennett just refused to work with him and showed him the door. Like he did for barba, Morris, taia, sau, etc.

Pathetic form from Bennett, but it is his form. Vidot wasn't one of his favourites so he didn't want anything to do with him. Yet here we are with people defending him, saying vidots attitude/training was the reason he was dropped to reserve grade lol.

Bennett is nothing if not predictable, just like his defenders.

Last edited:
Are we sure this thread isn't about WBs superannuation? I wonder if he has time to do a SMSF or if he uses an industry fund?

I'm confused what this thread is even about now. It's the Wayne Bennett Super Thread. But what does Super mean in this context.

It's very good thread. But not very very good. Only very good. Closer to not very good.

Who cares if he doesnt want to work with a player, he is the coach. Isn't that his choice?

A lot of people care. This is a discussion forum and the coach has thrown a player who was much improved last year onto the scrap heap before pre season was even over.

I couldn't give a **** if it's his choice. It's also his choice to play Milford at prop if he wants. Doesn't mean we can't talk about it.

Also, as coach it should also be his role to use the talent he has at his disposal. It's not an area where he is particularly good IMO.

A lot of people care. This is a discussion forum and the coach has thrown a player who was much improved last year onto the scrap heap before pre season was even over.

I couldn't give a **** if it's his choice. It's also his choice to play Milford at prop if he wants. Doesn't mean we can't talk about it.

Also, as coach it should also be his role to use the talent he has at his disposal. It's not an area where he is particularly good IMO.

For such a master coach there seems to be an unwillingness to work with certain players. A good coach would work with them to improve their game, or at least try, before discarding them. It seems Bennett is severly missing that skill.

Are we sure this thread isn't about WBs superannuation? I wonder if he has time to do a SMSF or if he uses an industry fund?

He would definitely have his own SMSF. He has Darius Boyd's contract in the fund as an investment

For such a master coach there seems to be an unwillingness to work with certain players. A good coach would work with them to improve their game, or at least try, before discarding them. It seems Bennett is severly missing that skill.
It depends.

If you're trying to build a culture, having a disruptive influence around the squad can be counter productive to what you're trying to build, even if they are talented.

A disruptive influence doesn't necessarily have to be a narcissist or one that is in the headlines all the time, it could simply be someone that doesn't give 100% on the training paddock or doesn't put the team first - if others see them doing it while they are forced to toe the line, they're gonna ask why they get special treatment. Talent or not, it'll foster resentment in the squad - if you're trying to build a team culture that is focussed on the unit rather than the individuals, that shit won't fly.

Bennett has been around long enough to probably identify players who he knows aren't worth the effort in rehabilitating, despite their talent. You can either **** around with them for a season or two and possibly still fail to get them to adhere to your ways, or you can remove them, mark a line in the sand, and recruit someone who will follow the vision.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unread

Active Now

• Wolfie
  • Old Mate
  • RolledOates
  • sooticus
  • Midean
  • BroncsNBundy
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.