Third Test- Australia v New Zealand SCG

Most runs by an Australia in our summer.

Ponting 965 (03/04) 6 Tests
Hayden 952 (03/04) 6 Tests
Hayden 949 (05/06) 7 Tests
Ponting 944 (05/06) 7 Tests
Labuschagne 896 (19/20) 5 Tests

896 runs is the second most here in five Tests and the most by an Australian in a five Test summer.
For full context on the immensity of Wally Hammond's 905 runs in 1928/29:

1st Test @ Brisbane: 44, 28
2nd Test @ Sydney: 251, DNB
3rd Test @ Melbourne 200, 32
4th Test @ Adelaide: 119*, 177
5th Test @ Melbourne: 38, 16

Last edited:
I was thinking about Marnus' 12 months. Nearly exactly 12 months ago I made this comment.

‘Classic’ Labuschagne dismissal. He locks that front leg down and is caught at mid wicket. India had two there waiting for him and in Shield they do it too. It’s his strength playing straight but he has to get that leg sorted. Alf and Sec work a lot on it. I watched Alf the other day using bottles to show where his leg should be.

This series 309 runs through that area of mid wicket and leg side with 6% false shots. That's the best illustration of improvement I think I have ever seen.

758 runs in the season for Labuschagne is nothing to sneeze at, fair effort. Might be a test bolter for a middle order spot next season if he can keep scoring runs in 4 day & 1 day games.

Casual 11 years younger than Shaun Marsh.

👀

The thing is, even when he was picked, the talent was obvious and he was beautiful to watch even then but the results weren't there to support it and he kept getting himself out. It isn't like he was an untalented hack, he just had some serious flaws that he has fixed far quicker than anyone could have foreseen.

The thing is, even when he was picked, the talent was obvious and he was beautiful to watch even then but the results weren't there to support it and he kept getting himself out. It isn't like he was an untalented hack, he just had some serious flaws that he has fixed far quicker than anyone could have foreseen.
There are quite a few of those guys in and around the setup you could say the same for (Pete Handscombe for one) that appear to be just a small technical flaw or two away from being Test quality batsmen. Hopefully Marnus has inspired them to show it honestly can be done.

Last edited:

He's scored as many 100's now in 14 Tests and he has for Queensland in 46 games. Although Roy never scored a one day 100 for Bulls- Chappell was the only one that saw something and then Langer. Honestly with a SS average of 33 it's not hard to see why, he just hadn't consistently produced results but some guys need that challenge and he's done that. Mystery to me how some guys do it.

His best year in 17/18 with 795 but still couldn't crack 40 for an average. Got hopes up sort of but then next year in 18/19 back to averaging 25. He's averaging 43 this year and I doubt will play again so maybe he can crack the 40 this season.

I honestly thought he would become a OD player for Qld and Aus because that seemed to be where his strength was, strangely he's been a lot more consistent in that area than SS. When Qld made the final in 16/17 he was terrific and his 90 in the semi final got Qld into the final but again flew under the radar and had half the runs White did but got player of the tournament because he got important runs not just big runs. He's had a very strange career.

He's scored as many 100's now in 14 Tests and he has for Queensland in 46 games. Although Roy never scored a one day 100 for Bulls- Chappell was the only one that saw something and then Langer. Honestly with a SS average of 33 it's not hard to see why, he just hadn't consistently produced results but some guys need that challenge and he's done that. Mystery to me how some guys do it.

His best year in 17/18 with 795 but still couldn't crack 40 for an average. Got hopes up sort of but then next year in 18/19 back to averaging 25. He's averaging 43 this year and I doubt will play again so maybe he can crack the 40 this season.

I honestly thought he would become a OD player for Qld and Aus because that seemed to be where his strength was, strangely he's been a lot more consistent in that area than SS. When Qld made the final in 16/17 he was terrific and his 90 in the semi final got Qld into the final but again flew under the radar and had half the runs White did but got player of the tournament because he got important runs not just big runs. He's had a very strange career.
I think he should be an advertisement for making sure you're getting the best possible coaching you can access whenever possible. He's also a pretty good endorsement for young guys spending time in England playing County Cricket when they get the opportunity. That used to be a bit of a right of passage to a baggy green cap and perhaps Marnus will inspire a bit of a revival with that.

I think Burns' only risk at this stage would be the temptation to rehash Khawaja as an Opener yet again. It's not remotely logical, but the Australian selectors have so rarely been logical in recent years, and I just feel like Khawaja is always so tempting for the selectors even when he's not scoring runs.
I'm just waiting for the moment where the idiot media start suggesting that Marnus should be the opener next to Warner... they'll suggest that he's come in early so many times why not just move him up one spot??

He's got a temperament that allows him to see off the new ball... Left hand right hand combo... what's not to like. Plus it'll mean Smith wont have to sit around for as long as he did this summer before getting a hit.

All this, but they'll forget how long it's taken for us to find a genuine no. 3 since Ponting, but he's not a darling NSW or Vic so they'll decide he can be moved wherever.

The media have short memories and all of a sudden we go out and flog two minnow teams on home soil, so they start thinking we can do whatever we want, be clever with selections and still be a competitive force... and if Marnus fails they'll just discard him for the next NSW, VIC or WA wonder boy

Active Now

• Tim K
  • Fatboy
  • Santa
  • broncsgoat
  • Broncorob
  • Bish
  • TimWhatley
  • FACTHUNT
  • Pablo
  • broncos4life
  • Financeguy
  • Broncosgirl
  • Allo
  • Tmac
  • Waynesaurus
  • mieko
  • lynx000
  • BroncosAlways
... and 4 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.