4. Smith (c)
5. Handscomb
6. Cartwright (debut)
7. Wade
8. Starc
9. SOK
10. Hazlewood
11. Lyon

Bird and Maddinson out, Bird pretty unlucky but this is good prep for India. I'd say that is a good snapshot of what the selectors are thinking for that tour.

Interesting times.

I think like the all-rounder we are forcing the issue. If you don't have something you don't use it. The Windies didn't have a spinner and they didn't use one for 20 years- worked alright for them.

SCG is interesting- 36/65 wickets this season have fallen to spin. SOK 11 at 19. SOK and Lyon working in tandem will be good to watch I hope it does spin and it's not a case of one type of wicket for SS games and then the Test pitch is boring. I'd love to see cracks day one.

Our strength is our seamers and that's what we need to be focusing on. Last time we won in India guess who led the wickets tally for us.

McGrath (14) and Gillespie (20)- 34 wickets. Kumble and Sigh took 48 between them but we counter acted that with our strengths not theirs.

Cartwright just the next batsman that may bowl a tiny bit. Happy to try him.

Yep all good points those. Cartwright is a good batsman and the fact he bowls is a bonus, he is exactly what the team needs. I'm a big fan of him.

The fact that we dropped Bird instead of resting Starc or Hazlewood indicates to me that the selectors only view him as a stop-gap option until Cummins is ready to go (Hopefully by the India tour)

The fact that we dropped Bird instead of resting Starc or Hazlewood indicates to me that the selectors only view him as a stop-gap option until Cummins is ready to go (Hopefully by the India tour)

Yep for sure. I feel sorry for Bird because in most eras he'd be a great second or third seamer but Cummins and Pattinson are just elite if fit.

Cummins won't be going to India unless he is playing some limited overs stuff. Hasn't played a Shield game for quite some time, he certainly won't be parachuting into the Test side.

Cummins won't be going to India unless he is playing some limited overs stuff. Hasn't played a Shield game for quite some time, he certainly won't be parachuting into the Test side.

India is end of February, there's plenty of opportunity for him to play some shield games in there.

Normally you'd be right of course but some of Mark Waugh's cagey comments during the Big Bash would suggest that while unlikely, it isn't impossible.

India is end of February, there's plenty of opportunity for him to play some shield games in there.

First round back is 1/2. They have a camp in Dubai and two warm up games plus one warm up game in India before first Test 23/2.

Players going to India won't play SS again.

First round back is 1/2. They have a camp in Dubai and two warm up games plus one warm up game in India before first Test 23/2.

Players going to India won't play SS again.

True, well maybe the 3 warm up games will be enough for the selectors.

Alternatively we could just leave him in Shield for the remainder of this season and save him for the Ashes.

True, well maybe the 3 warm up games will be enough for the selectors.

Alternatively we could just leave him in Shield for the remainder of this season and save him for the Ashes.

Yes, given his history, that's exactly what I'd do.

Smith needs 11 runs if dismissed once and 71 runs if he loses his wicket twice to average 60 after 50 Tests.

If he can do it he will join Bradman, Hobbs and Sutcliffe as the fourth player to do it.

Smith needs 14 runs to overtake LHutton, 279 runs to pass Gavaskar, and 2121 runs to overcome Bradman for most runs after 50 Tests.

He's a good chance to overtake Bradman then in this test isn't he. :porthozthinksthisishot:

Warner playing a BBL innings in the third test.

First time in 40 years a hundred scored in the opening session of a test. Hat off to Warner and what a great foil Renshaw is. Brilliant session of controlled aggression. He could be 250-300 by the end of the day.

Renshaw gets his first ton!! Well done!!

Great test match 100 Renny. Secured his plane ticket to India.

I get constantly annoyed at commentators saying Renshaw needs to score more. He is the quintessential opener, he sees off the new ball and then once he is set, he speeds up. He has done it his whole short career and guess what, it works. Exactly what this team has needed, someone in the top three who everyone else can bat around.

Active Now

• Footy Fanatic
  • RolledOates
  • Broncorob
  • FACTHUNT
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Manofoneway
  • NSW stables
  • Rambstien
  • MrMoore
  • davidp
  • Wendall Taylor
  • Harry Sack
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.