RANT This isn’t a ‘sack Kev’ thread...but...should we be thinking about it?

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
they've been bringing their young team along for longer than us though. Nathan Cleary is a perfect example. he's been an NRL have back for for 5 years, and it wasn't until last year we saw some real consistency from him

Maybe. I can’t find a 2021 easy to access list but we had 400 more games experience last year than the Panthers. We did lose Boyd which was a lot of games but panthers lost Tamau amongst other.

Attachments

• 9D9A0F7E-D590-4BC6-A3C3-11CB9758736A.jpeg
    9D9A0F7E-D590-4BC6-A3C3-11CB9758736A.jpeg
    754.7 KB · Views: 12

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Maybe. I can’t find a 2021 easy to access list but we had 400 more games experience last year than the Panthers. We did lose Boyd which was a lot of games but panthers lost Tamau amongst other.
We saw how they went in 2019 when things weren't going their way. They were able to make a couple of changes, they won a couple of close games and they're still riding that wave from 2020.

Brisbane on the other hand had the coaching fall-out a horror 2020 with injuries and they're paying St George and Wests to play three of their marquee players.

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
We saw how they went in 2019 when things weren't going their way. They were able to make a couple of changes, they won a couple of close games and they're still riding that wave from 2020.

Brisbane on the other hand had the coaching fall-out a horror 2020 with injuries and they're paying St George and Wests to play three of their marquee players.

I guess that is in line with my point, youth or inexperience alone isn’t an excuse for failure.

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
I guess that is in line with my point, youth or inexperience alone isn’t an excuse for failure.
Yeah sorry I didn't see the context of your post.

It's absolutely not the sole excuse but if the Broncos are going to turn things around, a major part in that is the younger players improving their games and doing the little things right. They're stuck right now because they came into the year off such a low base and their roster is what it is.

Sproj

International Captain
Staff
Sep 6, 2013
Penrith also had a smattering of experienced blokes who were actually contributing something.

Compare the pair:
Yeo, Tamou, Mansour, Koroisau, Capewell, etc

Bird, Boyd, Oates, Milford, Glenn, etc

abashii

NRL Player
Jul 14, 2014
Milford and Oates are really perplexing for mine. Both were absolutely top shelf on their day and fairly good as a baseline before Pies came in and burned the Broncos. What happened that just absolutely shredded them, is it confidence or something else?

NRL Player
Sep 22, 2016
Penrith also have the best nursery in the country. Players in reggies are playing at a level that is better than NRL quality some weeks.

Caniffe

NRL Player
Mar 16, 2008
Milford and Oates are really perplexing for mine. Both were absolutely top shelf on their day and fairly good as a baseline before Pies came in and burned the Broncos. What happened that just absolutely shredded them, is it confidence or something else?
No Premiership Ring, my friend.

Mustafur

NRL Player
Jun 13, 2019
Penrith also have the best nursery in the country. Players in reggies are playing at a level that is better than NRL quality some weeks.
Alot of which they are getting players from Rural NSW, which tbh we are doing also.
they've been bringing their young team along for longer than us though. Nathan Cleary is a perfect example. he's been an NRL have back for for 5 years, and it wasn't until last year we saw some real consistency from him
It's basically the difference of Phil Gould and Peter Nolan that we are seeing.

Penrith are setup for years with the structures Guild setup in their youth ranks, everyone was making fun of him at the time because they haven't won a premiership and flopped alot but their window to get a one looks to be nearly the next 10 years easily.

tommy

State of Origin Captain
Jun 5, 2015
Alot of which they are getting players from Rural NSW, which tbh we are doing also.

It's basically the difference of Phil Gould and Peter Nolan that we are seeing.

Penrith are setup for years with the structures Guild setup in their youth ranks, everyone was making fun of him at the time because they haven't won a premiership and flopped alot but their window to get a one looks to be nearly the next 10 years easily.
Phil Gould was a success at Penrith, we’re definitely seeing that now.

Jedhead

NRL Captain
Jan 8, 2018
Phil Gould was a success at Penrith, we’re definitely seeing that now.
Funnily enough much of what Gould instigated at Penrith was gleaned from a fact find mission Gould spent at the Broncos a number of years back. He examined our development system and replicated it at Panthers.

Unfortunately, our guys like Nolan seemed to have dropped the ball in recent years and our whole system is need of a major overhaul. Our new CEO can’t start soon enough.

tommy

State of Origin Captain
Jun 5, 2015
Funnily enough much of what Gould instigated at Penrith was gleaned from a fact find mission Gould spent at the Broncos a number of years back. He examined our development system and replicated it at Panthers.

Unfortunately, our guys like Nolan seemed to have dropped the ball in recent years and our whole system is need of a major overhaul. Our new CEO can’t start soon enough.
I dunno man, he spent a few hours here on a guided tour. He might have picked up a tip or two here or there but I doubt he based his overhaul on what he saw one afternoon.

Jedhead

NRL Captain
Jan 8, 2018
I dunno man, he spent a few hours here on a guided tour. He might have picked up a tip or two here or there but I doubt he based his overhaul on what he saw one afternoon.
No a number of years back he spent much more than that looking at our systems.

lynx000

NRL Captain
Jul 28, 2008
Still trolling with this .
No matter how good a coach he is Bennett fucked us when he signed Milf, Boyd and Bird . From that time on our cap was compromised and now we are here.
Seibold compounded things absolutely but make no mistake WB started things down this track
Bennett did not sign Milf, he was signed under the Hook regime.

*Edit* I see you were talking about the second contract he signed, tallyho, carry on.

Wolfie

State of Origin Captain
Jan 14, 2015
Cant believe people think this mess we are in is down to Bennett because he signed a a player who didnt come off in Bird. Boyd was fine and a really good signing until his body fell apart. It was Seibold who persisted with him, not Wayne. The only problem was his agent was smarter than Paul White in contract negotiations and got him 2 years too many. Bird was another good player who nobody would have had a real issue with if he wasnt made of twigs.

I dont think Wayne would have got us a premiership, but there is no way in hell he would have been so stupid as to just throw a load of promising kids in and hope they did the job. This whole mess is squarley on the shoulder of the board for how they got rid of Wayne and Seibold for wanting to wipe every trace of Bennett out of the club and deciding a team full of youth would propel us forward.

kooly87

NRL Captain
Jun 2, 2017
He was handed a side that just produced historically one of the worst seasons in modern history, then we removed even more of the experienced players and did absolutely nothing at all to replace them with anything resembling a decent purchase. Bird, Macca, Fifita replaced by John Asiata and Dale Copley.

Forgive me if I don’t pass any judgement on him at all, because frankly I doubt even Bellamy could turn this utter shambles around in anything less than half a season.

Walters unfortunately won’t have a chance to be properly judged as a Coach until at the very earliest, 2022, and that’s again only if we can do anything at all in the player market to get him so better quality cattle and sort out the mess that is our salary cap.

Judgement for this mess belongs with Seibold, Paul White, Nolan and the people on the Board who took so long to act decisively in sacking the old Coach, then dragging it out so long before appointing Kevvie, then allowing us to sit on our hands for so long doing absolutely nothing in the player market to turn this disgrace around. Walters is just the poor sap left holding the baby now the music has stopped.

Dexter

State of Origin Rep
Mar 26, 2008
Cant believe people think this mess we are in is down to Bennett because he signed a a player who didnt come off in Bird. Boyd was fine and a really good signing until his body fell apart. It was Seibold who persisted with him, not Wayne. The only problem was his agent was smarter than Paul White in contract negotiations and got him 2 years too many. Bird was another good player who nobody would have had a real issue with if he wasnt made of twigs.

I dont think Wayne would have got us a premiership, but there is no way in hell he would have been so stupid as to just throw a load of promising kids in and hope they did the job. This whole mess is squarley on the shoulder of the board for how they got rid of Wayne and Seibold for wanting to wipe every trace of Bennett out of the club and deciding a team full of youth would propel us forward.
I think you are missing the point of the post tbh mate.
You can't blow roses up Bennetts arse and give him all the credit for being successful with ( in some cases other peoples) squads then none of the blame when things go wrong is all that's being pointed out.
You live and die by the outcome of your decisions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adamsmith
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.