THE COACH Kevin Walters

Penrith also have the best nursery in the country. Players in reggies are playing at a level that is better than NRL quality some weeks.
Alot of which they are getting players from Rural NSW, which tbh we are doing also.
they've been bringing their young team along for longer than us though. Nathan Cleary is a perfect example. he's been an NRL have back for for 5 years, and it wasn't until last year we saw some real consistency from him
It's basically the difference of Phil Gould and Peter Nolan that we are seeing.

Penrith are setup for years with the structures Guild setup in their youth ranks, everyone was making fun of him at the time because they haven't won a premiership and flopped alot but their window to get a one looks to be nearly the next 10 years easily.

Alot of which they are getting players from Rural NSW, which tbh we are doing also.

It's basically the difference of Phil Gould and Peter Nolan that we are seeing.

Penrith are setup for years with the structures Guild setup in their youth ranks, everyone was making fun of him at the time because they haven't won a premiership and flopped alot but their window to get a one looks to be nearly the next 10 years easily.
Phil Gould was a success at Penrith, we’re definitely seeing that now.

Phil Gould was a success at Penrith, we’re definitely seeing that now.
Funnily enough much of what Gould instigated at Penrith was gleaned from a fact find mission Gould spent at the Broncos a number of years back. He examined our development system and replicated it at Panthers.

Unfortunately, our guys like Nolan seemed to have dropped the ball in recent years and our whole system is need of a major overhaul. Our new CEO can’t start soon enough.

Funnily enough much of what Gould instigated at Penrith was gleaned from a fact find mission Gould spent at the Broncos a number of years back. He examined our development system and replicated it at Panthers.

Unfortunately, our guys like Nolan seemed to have dropped the ball in recent years and our whole system is need of a major overhaul. Our new CEO can’t start soon enough.
I dunno man, he spent a few hours here on a guided tour. He might have picked up a tip or two here or there but I doubt he based his overhaul on what he saw one afternoon.

I dunno man, he spent a few hours here on a guided tour. He might have picked up a tip or two here or there but I doubt he based his overhaul on what he saw one afternoon.
No a number of years back he spent much more than that looking at our systems.

No a number of years back he spent much more than that looking at our systems.
Can’t remember that one, I know he got a guided tour of the club a few years back too though.

Still trolling with this .
No matter how good a coach he is Bennett fucked us when he signed Milf, Boyd and Bird . From that time on our cap was compromised and now we are here.
Seibold compounded things absolutely but make no mistake WB started things down this track
Bennett did not sign Milf, he was signed under the Hook regime.

*Edit* I see you were talking about the second contract he signed, tallyho, carry on.

Cant believe people think this mess we are in is down to Bennett because he signed a a player who didnt come off in Bird. Boyd was fine and a really good signing until his body fell apart. It was Seibold who persisted with him, not Wayne. The only problem was his agent was smarter than Paul White in contract negotiations and got him 2 years too many. Bird was another good player who nobody would have had a real issue with if he wasnt made of twigs.

I dont think Wayne would have got us a premiership, but there is no way in hell he would have been so stupid as to just throw a load of promising kids in and hope they did the job. This whole mess is squarley on the shoulder of the board for how they got rid of Wayne and Seibold for wanting to wipe every trace of Bennett out of the club and deciding a team full of youth would propel us forward.

He was handed a side that just produced historically one of the worst seasons in modern history, then we removed even more of the experienced players and did absolutely nothing at all to replace them with anything resembling a decent purchase. Bird, Macca, Fifita replaced by John Asiata and Dale Copley.

Forgive me if I don’t pass any judgement on him at all, because frankly I doubt even Bellamy could turn this utter shambles around in anything less than half a season.

Walters unfortunately won’t have a chance to be properly judged as a Coach until at the very earliest, 2022, and that’s again only if we can do anything at all in the player market to get him so better quality cattle and sort out the mess that is our salary cap.

Judgement for this mess belongs with Seibold, Paul White, Nolan and the people on the Board who took so long to act decisively in sacking the old Coach, then dragging it out so long before appointing Kevvie, then allowing us to sit on our hands for so long doing absolutely nothing in the player market to turn this disgrace around. Walters is just the poor sap left holding the baby now the music has stopped.

Cant believe people think this mess we are in is down to Bennett because he signed a a player who didnt come off in Bird. Boyd was fine and a really good signing until his body fell apart. It was Seibold who persisted with him, not Wayne. The only problem was his agent was smarter than Paul White in contract negotiations and got him 2 years too many. Bird was another good player who nobody would have had a real issue with if he wasnt made of twigs.

I dont think Wayne would have got us a premiership, but there is no way in hell he would have been so stupid as to just throw a load of promising kids in and hope they did the job. This whole mess is squarley on the shoulder of the board for how they got rid of Wayne and Seibold for wanting to wipe every trace of Bennett out of the club and deciding a team full of youth would propel us forward.
I think you are missing the point of the post tbh mate.
You can't blow roses up Bennetts arse and give him all the credit for being successful with ( in some cases other peoples) squads then none of the blame when things go wrong is all that's being pointed out.
You live and die by the outcome of your decisions.

He was handed a side that just produced historically one of the worst seasons in modern history, then we removed even more of the experienced players and did absolutely nothing at all to replace them with anything resembling a decent purchase. Bird, Macca, Fifita replaced by John Asiata and Dale Copley.

Forgive me if I don’t pass any judgement on him at all, because frankly I doubt even Bellamy could turn this utter shambles around in anything less than half a season.

Walters unfortunately won’t have a chance to be properly judged as a Coach until at the very earliest, 2022, and that’s again only if we can do anything at all in the player market to get him so better quality cattle and sort out the mess that is our salary cap.

Judgement for this mess belongs with Seibold, Paul White, Nolan and the people on the Board who took so long to act decisively in sacking the old Coach, then dragging it out so long before appointing Kevvie, then allowing us to sit on our hands for so long doing absolutely nothing in the player market to turn this disgrace around. Walters is just the poor sap left holding the baby now the music has stopped.

I'd like to see some improvement in structure, set plays and a gameplan even if we arent winning.

Exactly. We’d stopped going forward under Bennett, that’s almost certainly true, but it’s certainly showing now that he was about the only thing left stopping us going into utter free fall backwards.

You can't blow roses up Bennetts arse and give him all the credit for being successful with ( in some cases other peoples) squads then none of the blame when things go wrong is all that's being pointed out.
Bird is in no way Bennett’s fault. Injuries are what they are and even Seibold can’t be blamed for those. Some due diligence before he turned up here already injured might have been smart, but that’s hardly Bennett’s responsibility to put him through a medical.

Boyd’s contract was a trainwreck, but it’s also fair to say that when Bennett made that commitment he obviously saw himself still Coaching here for the entirety of that contract and he obviously felt he could get out of Boyd what he needed for that period of time, which is probably a fair call to trust him on given how well he and Boyd have worked together for almost 15 years as player and Coach.

It was obviously a disaster in the end, but you do have to wonder if Bennett couldn’t have either turned Boyd around in that way that Bennett so regularly does with older players, or alternatively perhaps when it wasn’t getting better he could have persuaded him to call it quits much earlier on in the piece. Bennett was perhaps the only man who could, and similarly when Boyd dug his heels in Bennett basically encouraged him to do so too given he knows better than anyone how little the Broncos care for loyalty after we shafted him and also shafted Boyd the first time he left us.

How is any of this Bennetts fault whats going on now? He isnt the one that manages the cap. He isnt the one who decided it would be a smart idea to throw a bunch of young players to the wolves. You go on about Bird, but at the time we signed him, he was a good player. If he stayed fit, he would have been a good player for the Broncos. That one is just unfortunate. I'm not doubting Milf and Boyd for example got contracts that were too good, but at the same time, he doesnt negotiate contracts anymore. We were probably a victim with Milf of every other half decent half at the time getting close to a million a year, and Milf was still playing good footy. Boyds contract was bang on value wise, it wasnt bang on with giving him more than 2 year.

People have an axe to grind with Bennett and i doubt if you have one you will ever change your mind. All i know is one of the greatest coaches in the game simply wouldnt have let this team fall into the state it has.

How is any of this Bennetts fault whats going on now? He isnt the one that manages the cap. He isnt the one who decided it would be a smart idea to throw a bunch of young players to the wolves. You go on about Bird, but at the time we signed him, he was a good player. If he stayed fit, he would have been a good player for the Broncos. That one is just unfortunate. I'm not doubting Milf and Boyd for example got contracts that were too good, but at the same time, he doesnt negotiate contracts anymore. We were probably a victim with Milf of every other half decent half at the time getting close to a million a year, and Milf was still playing good footy. Boyds contract was bang on value wise, it wasnt bang on with giving him more than 2 year.

People have an axe to grind with Bennett and i doubt if you have one you will ever change your mind. All i know is one of the greatest coaches in the game simply wouldnt have let this team fall into the state it has.
Nobody is throwing complete blame on Bennett. But this bullshit sure as **** started when he was here, along with that board and ceo.

Nah mate . I'm a massive Bennett fan but like I said MY point was you can't give a guy all the credit when things go right then none of the responsibility for decisions made that for whatever reason turn to shit like some posters like to do.

Active Now

• Broncosgirl
  • Allo
  • Harry Sack
  • TonyTheJugoslav
  • Mustafur
  • leon.bott
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • bazza
  • Redux
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.