THE COACH Kevin Walters

Bird is in no way Bennett’s fault. Injuries are what they are and even Seibold can’t be blamed for those. Some due diligence before he turned up here already injured might have been smart, but that’s hardly Bennett’s responsibility to put him through a medical.

Boyd’s contract was a trainwreck, but it’s also fair to say that when Bennett made that commitment he obviously saw himself still Coaching here for the entirety of that contract and he obviously felt he could get out of Boyd what he needed for that period of time, which is probably a fair call to trust him on given how well he and Boyd have worked together for almost 15 years as player and Coach.

It was obviously a disaster in the end, but you do have to wonder if Bennett couldn’t have either turned Boyd around in that way that Bennett so regularly does with older players, or alternatively perhaps when it wasn’t getting better he could have persuaded him to call it quits much earlier on in the piece. Bennett was perhaps the only man who could, and similarly when Boyd dug his heels in Bennett basically encouraged him to do so too given he knows better than anyone how little the Broncos care for loyalty after we shafted him and also shafted Boyd the first time he left us.
Wow that is some revisionist bullshit right there.
I will leave it there too if that's ok but there is a huge WB thread with all the info in it if you want to look.

Nobody is throwing complete blame on Bennett. But this bullshit sure as **** started when he was here, along with that board and ceo.

I dont disagree. I think Bennett was the least of our issues though. The problem was always we lost our way at the very top. Bennett probably held a lot of things together. He leaves and the problems escalate.

Nah mate . I'm a massive Bennett fan but like I said MY point was you can't give a guy all the credit when things go right then none of the responsibility for decisions made that for whatever reason turn to shit like some posters like to do.

I just dont see how our current mess is down to Wayne. Thats not saying he hasnt got anything wrong, he clearly did at times. We are in a mess now because of how the board terminated Bennett, then bought in a coach who just couldnt handle the pressure. It defies belief to me how anyone with even the slightest bit of knowledge about how a footy club works could get rid of a coach the players loved in the way they did, then gave his successor free reign to play so many unproven players and try to wipe the former coaches existence from the club.

Bennett isnt perfect, but there are two roles he just gets. The Queensland one, as we saw last year, and the Broncos.

I just dont see how our current mess is down to Wayne. Thats not saying he hasnt got anything wrong, he clearly did at times. We are in a mess now because of how the board terminated Bennett, then bought in a coach who just couldnt handle the pressure. It defies belief to me how anyone with even the slightest bit of knowledge about how a footy club works could get rid of a coach the players loved in the way they did, then gave his successor free reign to play so many unproven players and try to wipe the former coaches existence from the club.

Bennett isnt perfect, but there are two roles he just gets. The Queensland one, as we saw last year, and the Broncos.
I hope he comes back to help Kev because he needs it. I know for a fact kev is hands on trying to keep certain players when he should be concentrating purely on coaching.

I hope he comes back to help Kev because he needs it. I know for a fact kev is hands on trying to keep certain players when he should be concentrating purely on coaching.

It is sad cos he would not be getting any help from management, only hinderance and the one guy who can make a difference is not allowed to start for a month.

I'd like to see some improvement in structure, set plays and a gameplan even if we arent winning.
This. Who cares if we haven’t got Bennett. Neither have 14 other clubs in the NRL...

That doesn’t account for why we can’t organise our team, play with a decent structure in defence and attack and actually look like competent, professional footballers...

Cant believe people think this mess we are in is down to Bennett because he signed a a player who didnt come off in Bird. Boyd was fine and a really good signing until his body fell apart. It was Seibold who persisted with him, not Wayne. The only problem was his agent was smarter than Paul White in contract negotiations and got him 2 years too many. Bird was another good player who nobody would have had a real issue with if he wasnt made of twigs.

I dont think Wayne would have got us a premiership, but there is no way in hell he would have been so stupid as to just throw a load of promising kids in and hope they did the job. This whole mess is squarley on the shoulder of the board for how they got rid of Wayne and Seibold for wanting to wipe every trace of Bennett out of the club and deciding a team full of youth would propel us forward.
And the thing that shits me to tears, is they talk about accountability for the playing staff and coaching team, but there has been zero accountability shown by club management, the board, those responsible for recruiting. Any other listed corporation that has fucked up in the manner we have, you better believe there would be blood spilt.

And the thing that shits me to tears, is they talk about accountability for the playing staff and coaching team, but there has been zero accountability shown by club management, the board, those responsible for recruiting. Any other listed corporation that has fucked up in the manner we have, you better believe there would be blood spilt.
Jobs for the boys is strong in that organisation...

This. Who cares if we haven’t got Bennett. Neither have 14 other clubs in the NRL...

That doesn’t account for why we can’t organise our team, play with a decent structure in defence and attack and actually look like competent, professional footballers...

Maybe part of the problem is that Walters underestimated just how low the footie IQ is in our team, either from understandably, youth and inexperience, or in a few cases, just plain stupidity. Maybe Kevvie is having trouble getting his message across. Something has to explain the problems this team is having with the very basics of winning football under the new rules.

Not having a genuine leader doesn't help either.

Why would there be accountability? The board are doing exactly what the owners have asked them to do.

Nobody is throwing complete blame on Bennett. But this bullshit sure as **** started when he was here, along with that board and ceo.
It's hard to say from the outside. Nobody is perfect in hindsight but ol' Benny might have been the only thing keeping us from going down this road earlier. When SBW came back to league years ago we were interested in signing him, his manager (Khoder Nasser iirc) replied he wouldn't even send him up here for a tour because no way would he send Sonny-Bill to a "club on the slide."

Maybe the issues have been around since well before 2018, and Bennett was the wall holding us back from hitting rock bottom.

It's hard to say from the outside. Nobody is perfect in hindsight but ol' Benny might have been the only thing keeping us from going down this road earlier. When SBW came back to league years ago we were interested in signing him, his manager (Khoder Nasser iirc) replied he wouldn't even send him up here for a tour because no way would he send Sonny-Bill to a "club on the slide."

Maybe the issues have been around since well before 2018, and Bennett was the wall holding us back from hitting rock bottom.
Milford and Oates are really perplexing for mine. Both were absolutely top shelf on their day and fairly good as a baseline before Pies came in and burned the Broncos. What happened that just absolutely shredded them, is it confidence or something else?

Well, Sonny Bill came back in ‘13 and ‘20. I’m not sure which year your story is from but broncos had come 8th the year after Lockyer retired and weren’t looking good at all in 2012 and in 2019/2020 we were Seibold broncos. So the club was absolutely on the slide at these times.

Well, Sonny Bill came back in ‘13 and ‘20. I’m not sure which year your story is from but broncos had come 8th the year after Lockyer retired and weren’t looking good at all in 2012 and in 2019/2020 we were Seibold broncos. So the club was absolutely on the slide at these times.
This is the 2013 one I'm talking about. I suspect the agents all talk about which clubs are paying what to who, perhaps even back then it was known behind the scenes that we were losing momentum and paying the wrong amounts to the wrong players.

God I can't wait for the new CEO to come on board.

This is the 2013 one I'm talking about. I suspect the agents all talk about which clubs are paying what to who, perhaps even back then it was known behind the scenes that we were losing momentum and paying the wrong amounts to the wrong players.

God I can't wait for the new CEO to come on board.

I’m not sure, I think we missed the finals for the first time ever in ‘10 and Locky retired after ‘11. Pretty obviously on the slide.

What I really think though is that Sonny was going to the biggest offer and roosters were a forgone conclusion.

I agree about Donaghy though.

Something I didn’t mention in the original post. Look at the absolute Seiboldness of the below - again, this was after an offseason of bragging about unlocking Milford’s talents, giving him confidence, Milf training on the right all off season where apparently he plays his best football.

Round 1: Milford right / Croft left
Round 2 ( mid game swap): Milford left / Croft right
Round 3: Milford left / Croft right / Dearden bench
Round 4: Milford left / Dearden right / Croft bench

The halves haven’t gone 2 games in a row without a significant alteration. How are combinations meant to form? If Milf being on the right was such an obvious thing as Kev was saying in the preseason and he spent all off season training there, why give up on it after 1 and a half games into a season?

Bennett is gone boys

let it go GIF

Something I didn’t mention in the original post. Look at the absolute Seiboldness of the below - again, this was after an offseason of bragging about unlocking Milford’s talents, giving him confidence, Milf training on the right all off season where apparently he plays his best football.

Round 1: Milford right / Croft left
Round 2 ( mid game swap): Milford left / Croft right
Round 3: Milford left / Croft right / Dearden bench
Round 4: Milford left / Dearden right / Croft bench

The halves haven’t gone 2 games in a row without a significant alteration. How are combinations meant to form? If Milf being on the right was such an obvious thing as Kev was saying in the preseason and he spent all off season training there, why give up on it after 1 and a half games into a season?
Been wondering about the bold tbh. What happened to this? If Staggs at 6 was Kevs intention from the start, as 1910 has indicated...was the bold all bullshit? Or did he work out in the preseason that milf is a lost cause?

Been wondering about the bold tbh. What happened to this? If Staggs at 6 was Kevs intention from the start, as 1910 has indicated...was the bold all bullshit? Or did he work out in the preseason that milf is a lost cause?

I got the sense he was trying to pump Milf up to get a decent season out of him before breaking the news. Not sure why he gave up on that so quick though and decided publicly lashing him and swapping what side plays on was the better tactic

Active Now

• Broncosgirl
  • Sproj
  • Matheos
  • IceWorks
  • KateBroncos1812
  • winslow_wong
  • Santa
  • Broncorob
  • Gaz
  • Tmac
  • TimWhatley
  • Bish
  • Behind enemy lines
  • Financeguy
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.