THE COACH Kevin Walters

I got the sense he was trying to pump Milf up to get a decent season out of him before breaking the news. Not sure why he gave up on that so quick though and decided publicly lashing him and swapping what side plays on was the better tactic
Cause it’s working for Payten

oh wait

Cause it’s working for Payten

oh wait
Just because it isn’t working for Payton doesn’t mean it’s not a good tactic. Look at how well the exact same thing worked for Seibold...oh wait

Something I didn’t mention in the original post. Look at the absolute Seiboldness of the below - again, this was after an offseason of bragging about unlocking Milford’s talents, giving him confidence, Milf training on the right all off season where apparently he plays his best football.

Round 1: Milford right / Croft left
Round 2 ( mid game swap): Milford left / Croft right
Round 3: Milford left / Croft right / Dearden bench
Round 4: Milford left / Dearden right / Croft bench

The halves haven’t gone 2 games in a row without a significant alteration. How are combinations meant to form? If Milf being on the right was such an obvious thing as Kev was saying in the preseason and he spent all off season training there, why give up on it after 1 and a half games into a season?
I think it just highlights how absolutely shit both of them are, and in the process trying to squeeze blood from a stone.

Short of a mid-season signing of someone who is willing to come here and get beaten up, they will continue to be our halves and do nothing for us.

Something I didn’t mention in the original post. Look at the absolute Seiboldness of the below - again, this was after an offseason of bragging about unlocking Milford’s talents, giving him confidence, Milf training on the right all off season where apparently he plays his best football.

Round 1: Milford right / Croft left
Round 2 ( mid game swap): Milford left / Croft right
Round 3: Milford left / Croft right / Dearden bench
Round 4: Milford left / Dearden right / Croft bench

The halves haven’t gone 2 games in a row without a significant alteration. How are combinations meant to form? If Milf being on the right was such an obvious thing as Kev was saying in the preseason and he spent all off season training there, why give up on it after 1 and a half games into a season?
And its probably going to get Seibolder before it gets Seibetter.

I dunno man, I’m not seeing much from Kevvie to be excited about thus far. I’m on board as I really like the guy but man, there was a reason Seibold got punted and yet Kevvie seems to be making all the same mistakes.

It makes me wonder, are the powers that be meddling in team selection again?

Want him massively to succeed, like I want any Broncos coach too (unlike some on here) but the late dearden inclusion worried me.... the team he has put out against the rabbits has worried me even more....

I could bleet about the bench use again, or the continuing half mismanagement but what annoyed me most this week, is that he is willing to burn a bench spot for his stupid halves experiment - while Turpin is completely out on his feet. I can understand forcing Turpin to play through fatigue and completely blunt his effectiveness if it allows us to carry 4 forwards on the bench and try and roll through teams in the middle but to burn a bench spot on Croft instead of putting someone on the bench who can give Turpin a spell is borderline negligent. Turpin’s biggest weapon is his intensity and running game and he has no gas left to do it. Without those he’s just Macca but without the experience.

How you pick Croft over Paix, Hetherington, or an alternative bench option blows my mind. At least make Croft get in and play some hooker to give Turpin a spell.

How you pick Croft over Paix, Hetherington, or an alternative bench option blows my mind. At least make Croft get in and play some hooker to give Turpin a spell.
definitely agree with this.

Maybe we should change the thread title to "thinking about sacking Kev"

??

If you're thinking about sacking a coach after 5 damn rounds, then we're going to go through several coaches every season... right to the point where no competent coach will ever risk coming to us, and all we could ever attract is the likes of Seibold ... but if he's the standard of coach you want, then go nuts

If you're thinking about sacking a coach after 5 damn rounds, then we're going to go through several coaches every season... right to the point where no competent coach will ever risk coming to us, and all we could ever attract is the likes of Seibold ... but if he's the standard of coach you want, then go nuts

Its too early for a sacking, but at the same time, we need to see some improvement in our gameplan and structures. We still look exactly the same as last year imo. I'd say in another 8 or 9 games if we are on the same path its going to be hard for Kevvie to convince people he is the man for the job.

What Kevvie needs to do now is bring in a winner or two on the coaching side with high standards. I know this is an unlikely scenario, but i'd be look at Slater or Cam Smith, at the very least in some kind of consultancy role. Make it financially worth their while. Speaking to a couple of blokes i know who have played with them, They said Slater especially is the sharpest footy brain they have ever been around. I feel to breed a winning mentality, we need winners. This club has the stench of defeat running through its pores right now, mentally they are broken and we need some fresh eyes to get us out of it.

I dunno man, I’m not seeing much from Kevvie to be excited about thus far. I’m on board as I really like the guy but man, there was a reason Seibold got punted and yet Kevvie seems to be making all the same mistakes.

It makes me wonder, are the powers that be meddling in team selection again?

They absolutely are, because if they weren't, Milford would be in reserve grade.

I don’t really want to sack Kev. I actually really want him to work out but I also don’t think he should be beyond criticism just because we all like him as a bloke and because we’ve burnt through coaches. I’m happy to give him this year to see what he can do and what moves he makes in the player market but so far I’m giving him a pretty low rating.

I think we really do need an experienced coaching director to support him. It is likely a pipe dream but a Belly or Wayne at the club in a capacity would be ideal.

Kev's presser last night whilst perhaps honest....was fucking alarming.

He appeared lost and clueless as to how to get on the front foot from here.

Its too early for a sacking, but at the same time, we need to see some improvement in our gameplan and structures. We still look exactly the same as last year imo. I'd say in another 8 or 9 games if we are on the same path its going to be hard for Kevvie to convince people he is the man for the job.

What Kevvie needs to do now is bring in a winner or two on the coaching side with high standards. I know this is an unlikely scenario, but i'd be look at Slater or Cam Smith, at the very least in some kind of consultancy role. Make it financially worth their while. Speaking to a couple of blokes i know who have played with them, They said Slater especially is the sharpest footy brain they have ever been around. I feel to breed a winning mentality, we need winners. This club has the stench of defeat running through its pores right now, mentally they are broken and we need some fresh eyes to get us out of it.
I totally agree. I said exact same to my bro-in-law yesterday (are you my bro-in-law). Pay Billy to run a number of weekend clinics with all our signed FB’s and get Smith to run hooking and leadership clinics.

It’s round 10 for me. If he hasn’t sorted out our line speed and defensive structures by then he’s not going to. I had big hopes for Kevvie but he looks like a deer in the headlights and the way he’s fucking around with the halves and bench use is making me think he actually can’t coach a first grade team. He’s been handed a pretty average squad but he needed to focus on the basics which it doesn’t look like he has. Passion will only get him so far and I fear he’s already out of ideas.

Unread

Active Now

• Fitzy
  • Morkel
  • I bleed Maroon
  • winslow_wong
  • Galah
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Mustafur
  • Broncosgirl
  • Allo
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.