THE COACH Kevin Walters

Milford is not in the team and it doesn’t look like he’s even close to being recalled.

Can’t we all just be happy about that without having to rehash the debate around exactly when he started going to shit?

Games 27
Tries 13
Points 61
Av runs 10.3
Tackle busts 100
Try assists 16

Games 26
Tries 14
Points 76
Av runs 8.2
Tackle busts 94
Try assists 20

Games 23
Tries 7
Points 73
Av runs 7.5
Tackle busts 85
Try assists 20

Games 25
Tries 6
Points 25
Av runs 6.7
Tackle busts 66
Try assists 16

Games 24
Tries 6
Points 27
Av runs 8
Tackle busts 82
Try assists 14

Games 13
Tries 1
Points 4
Av runs 5.5
Tackle busts 28
Try assists 6

It's interesting what goes up and down over that period.

Seems like 2019 was a bit of an outlier in terms of runs (what he was obviously always known for), otherwise it has been a steady decline since 2016 as most people would have probably felt happened even without the statistics to back it up.

Also very surprising he won POTY 2018 as many have suggested, well down on the halcyon days of 15/16.

Games 27
Tries 13
Points 61
Av runs 10.3
Tackle busts 100
Try assists 16

Games 26
Tries 14
Points 76
Av runs 8.2
Tackle busts 94
Try assists 20

Games 23
Tries 7
Points 73
Av runs 7.5
Tackle busts 85
Try assists 20

Games 25
Tries 6
Points 25
Av runs 6.7
Tackle busts 66
Try assists 16

Games 24
Tries 6
Points 27
Av runs 8
Tackle busts 82
Try assists 14

Games 13
Tries 1
Points 4
Av runs 5.5
Tackle busts 28
Try assists 6

It's interesting what goes up and down over that period.
Yeah, but it's also his loss of speed. Predictable bomb last tackle option and stopped being effective at scoring.... he just became bog average then kept going down

Milford is not in the team and it doesn’t look like he’s even close to being recalled.

Can’t we all just be happy about that without having to rehash the debate around exactly when he started going to shit?

It's all raw disappointment manifesting itself.

3 years ago, Milford was on track to become the next immortal of the game. People had lofty expectations of him (myself included), and he has just utterly failed to live up to them. As soon as he signed on to the massive deal, his form took a nosedive.

We are moving on from Milford finally
Don’t try to say kevs at fault cause he hasn’t really done shit for 3 years
He signed that million dollar deal then switched off
Deserves everything he is about to get

Milfords stats would be in sync with the drop in performance of Boyd and Glenn.

Its been a decline that really turned mid way through 2018 for a downhill trajectory. What i think is also interesting is that around 17/18 wrestling and play the ball slow downs were at their peak. He just couldn't create enough room or manipulate the opposition.

Needed better ball.

We are moving on from Milford finally
Don’t try to say kevs at fault cause he hasn’t really done shit for 3 years
He signed that million dollar deal then switched off
Deserves everything he is about to get
I had hoped Kevvie could bring him back but I’d never blame him that he hasn’t been able to. The job pies did on dismantling this team is breathtaking and milf has taken the brunt of that blame IMO which he mentally isn’t strong enough to overcome.

It's all raw disappointment manifesting itself.

3 years ago, Milford was on track to become the next immortal of the game. People had lofty expectations of him (myself included), and he has just utterly failed to live up to them. As soon as he signed on to the massive deal, his form took a nosedive.
I don’t disagree. I even participated in such conversations, a lot.

But this conversation has been done to death. Just like the Boyd conversation last year. The difference is Milford has been dropped so there is literally nothing else that can happen now.

Unless something changes and he’s back in the team, can’t we all (including Milford) just move on?

I don’t disagree. I even participated in such conversations, a lot.

But this conversation has been done to death. Just like the Boyd conversation last year. The difference is Milford has been dropped so there is literally nothing else that can happen now.

Unless something changes and he’s back in the team, can’t we all (including Milford) just move on?
Back on to Kevvie, what are the collective thoughts on his performance to date. I think that at this stage it has to be marked as a negative accepting that he has been handed a shit sandwich along with the most difficult draw out of all of the teams.

Unless there is a marked improvement in the second half of this season and a better start to next year I doubt that he will get an extension (or perhaps see out next year).

Back on to Kevvie, what are the collective thoughts on his performance to date. I think that at this stage it has to be marked as a negative accepting that he has been handed a shit sandwich along with the most difficult draw out of all of the teams.

Unless there is a marked improvement in the second half of this season and a better start to next year I doubt that he will get an extension (or perhaps see out next year).
Too many halves changes, poor bench use. Rotating through so many halves combos is never going to achieve much by mid season.

Too many halves changes, poor bench use. Rotating through so many halves combos is never going to achieve much by mid season.
I mean milf gamble dearden and Croft have all been fucking shit. If he kept them in the team for a sustained period everyone would just complain about that instead

the halves merry-go-round has been disappointing and confusing but to me, the biggest issues with Kevvie are two things:

1. Mead, Oates and Coates - Mead hasn't deserved to be dropped at all except when he was playing centre which isn't on him, it is on Kevvie for putting him there, yet he has been dropped again this week for some reason and Oates came back from being dropped and responded well, pulled off some great tackles, put in a vintage intercept try and was generally one of our best after his recall but nope, dropped. Meanwhile Coates has been hot and cold, far more cold lately and has signed elsewhere for next season, yet we persist with him? This whole situation must be confusing for the players as they are likely all looking over their shoulder and this whole chopping and changing for no apparent reason I think is contributing to them all playing like individuals again.

2. Bench use - There are times where you can see players are out on their feet out there but Kevvie just leaves them on which leads to the players inevitably missing a tackle / dropping a ball and once again heads drop, momentum is lost and the floggings come. The way he has used the likes of Bullemor is almost infuriating. Some weeks he gets it right and the team is generally competitive in those weeks.

There are other issues as well but to me, these are the glaring ones - inconsistencies in selection and bench use. It will be interesting to see if the team stands up this week or the 2020 style slide has begun. If the slide does continue, I don't think Kevvie has the ability to stop it.

To be fair I think your last paragraph was always the way things would go. I do think we will start to see a change over the next 6 odd games and I am almost certain we will have a better season in a comparative sense. A few more decent signings and having players fixated on consistent performance instead of indifference may yet save KW's fledgling career. If we aren't running at 50-50 10-12 games in in '22 I too don't see KW keeping the reins.

Seems like 2019 was a bit of an outlier in terms of runs (what he was obviously always known for), otherwise it has been a steady decline since 2016 as most people would have probably felt happened even without the statistics to back it up.

Also very surprising he won POTY 2018 as many have suggested, well down on the halcyon days of 15/16.
It’s folly to compare his 18 IMO to earlier seasons as he had a different role.

It’s hard to say with Kev. I’ll give him benefit of the doubt that there is some genius over arching method to the madness this year and that it will all make sense when we have a team playing to their potential next year. Though as @Sproj pointed out, there are a few areas where he’s either really thinking outside the box and there’s some long game 5D chess that I’m too dumb to understand or he’s actually just kinda shit.

On paper this team has far more talent than most of the bottom 8 so to still be experiencing 40 point capitulation and be sitting at 3 wins, it’s a very worrying sign. Either the culture is just completely toast and the team is uncoachable or the current staff have no idea about defensive structures.

It may seem stupid to rest my hopes on one game but the roosters job we did gives me some confidence that Kevvie is making some improvements.

I think some are underselling just how bad we were last year. 15% win rate. Sure we’re only up to 25% this year but it’s tracking in the right direction. We’ve had the most fucked draw in the comp don’t forget which is fucked considering we’re the reigning spoon holders

968AFA94 963F 4C93 99C6 4B80B5C41258
👀

It may seem stupid to rest my hopes on one game but the roosters job we did gives me some confidence that Kevvie is making some improvements.

I think some are underselling just how bad we were last year. 15% win rate. Sure we’re only up to 25% this year but it’s tracking in the right direction. We’ve had the most fucked draw in the comp don’t forget which is fucked considering we’re the reigning spoon holders
The Draw is the part that I think consistently gets overlooked. We've realistically had the worst opening Draw of any club. Once that evens out a bit more I can see our win % starting to look much healthier.

I still don't see us making the finals but I think we can still fight our way out of the bottom 4 at least.

Active Now

• TwoLeftFeet
  • Morkel
  • Dash
  • Brocko
  • westy316
  • Battler
  • bb_gun
  • Aldo
  • Waynesaurus
  • Foordy
  • TimWhatley
  • Mustafur
  • Organix
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Financeguy
  • kiwi2
  • BroncosAlways
  • Browny
  • broncsgoat
  • Harry Sack
... and 17 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.