THE COACH Kevin Walters

2020 - 32 players used in 20 rounds
(tied most in the league)
2021 - 33 players used in 14 rounds

2020 - 31 points conceded on average per game
2021 - 31 points conceded on average per game

@Sproj you're a big AFL/Lions fans. so you're probably able to confirm if this Craddock article is reasonably accurate:

So Craddock has written an article in the CM saying that Kevvie should look no further than Chris Fagan from the Lions for inspiration. he says:
  • Fagan won 5 matches in each of his first two years as coach
  • while he had self doubts he stuck to his plan by showing faith in promising youngsters that became the anchormen of the club
  • both Fagan and Walters are late starters as first grade coaches, 55 and 53 years old respectively
  • where Fagan had a plan and stuck to it Walters is still searching for that sweet spot.
  • Every coach is a prisoner of the deals done in the past
  • can't blame the Broncos for being aggressive in the market, but that could come at a cost of team morale. e.g. Turpin was captain a few weeks ago, but we are reportedly interested in Hodgson, so where does that leave Turps.
  • the Lions have proved that a bit of faith aligned to small, steady improvements, compassionate coaching and decent recruiting can raise a sinking ship.

Fagan Says:

“The first two years I had this plan in my head of everything I had learned over 20 years in the industry and I was sticking with it,’’ Fagan told News Corp last week.

“I was wondering whether it would work but I kept hearing people say you are better to stick with a plan than keep changing it. Fortunately we started to get going.’’

@Sproj you're a big AFL/Lions fans. so you're probably able to confirm if this Craddock article is reasonably accurate:

So Craddock has written an article in the CM saying that Kevvie should look no further than Chris Fagan from the Lions for inspiration. he says:
  • while he had self doubts he stuck to his plan by showing faith in promising youngsters that became the anchormen of the club
  • both Fagan and Walters are late starters as first grade coaches, 55 and 53 years old respectively
  • where Fagan had a plan and stuck to it Walters is still searching for that sweet spot.
  • can't blame the Broncos for being aggressive in the market, but that could come at a cost of team morale. e.g. Turpin was captain a few weeks ago, but we are reportedly interested in Hodgson, so where does that leave Turps.
  • the Lions have proved that a bit of faith aligned to small, steady improvements, compassionate coaching and decent recruiting can raise a sinking ship.

Fagan Says:

“The first two years I had this plan in my head of everything I had learned over 20 years in the industry and I was sticking with it,’’ Fagan told News Corp last week.

“I was wondering whether it would work but I kept hearing people say you are better to stick with a plan than keep changing it. Fortunately we started to get going.’’
Compare that with Kev who changes the plan seemingly at whim and hasn’t shown any faith in any player.

Compare that with Kev who changes the plan seemingly at whim and hasn’t shown any faith in any player.

I don't actually think it is on a whim ... more like figuring out which players to keep and which to jettison. probably changes them a bit much ... but if he didn't change a team not performing the most people would be complaining that he is being to loyal to under performing players, so he can't really win on that one.

I don't actually think it is on a whim ... more like figuring out which players to keep and which to jettison. probably changes them a bit much ... but if he didn't change a team not performing the most people would be complaining that he is being to loyal to under performing players, so he can't really win on that one.
I guess we’ll find out next season but it can’t be good for player confidence or team unity.

Fagan Says:

Kev shouldn’t feel bad if he isn’t living up to Fagan, Fagan is god.

Fagan Says:

Yep all accurate though I think there are some fundamental differences that make it impossible to compare and they are (and there are probably others too but in my opinion these are the major ones but not in any particular order):

- The Lions bought in really good management and some renowned list managers (The Broncs have done this with Donuts but he isn't enough)
- The AFL has the draft and the importance of this cannot be understated
- The Lions started to target country kids who were all really good academically and socially (much easier to find in the AFL than NRL) to avoid the go-home factor that plagued them under the two previous coaches
- Fagan bought in some gun assistant coaches who had some runs on the board elsewhere
- The Lions have the best medical team in the league by far, so this meant they could attract some excellent but injury prone talent and turn them into regular players, for example McCarthy, Daniher and a few others
- They targeted some solid AFL quality players in the 24-28 age bracket to help fill holes until the kids were ready
- They implemented a no idiots philosophy, no matter how good a player was
- Fagan became a father figure to the players and stuck by them and nurtured them, kind of like Bennett but with less ego
- All AFL coached need to do a Cert IV in coaching, so with Fagan, he came in both highly qualified and experienced after spending years and years under Clarkson, the best coach of the last 20 years
- There was noticeable improvement across those two years under Fagan and the year before they came second, they were achieving honourable loss after honourable loss, so if even half of those were a kick the other way, they would have been on the cusp of the 8 instead of where they finished up

But I can’t stress this enough, Fagan is an excellent coach but he had an excellent management team backing him up in Swann, Noble and Ambrosio. Compare that to White, Morris and Nolan - there’s your number one issue and 67% of it remains.

2020 - 32 players used in 20 rounds
(tied most in the league)
2021 - 33 players used in 14 rounds

2020 - 31 points conceded on average per game
2021 - 31 points conceded on average per game
I think it's finally dawning on us the squad is just shit.

Yeah we had a lot of injuries every second week last year, but when they are mostly fit this year nothing changes.

A bunch of players have gone backwards, others flat out taking the piss.

Maybe his plan is to use the first year as a trial to see who to keep.
Only problem is Maguire did this at the Tigers last year and they don't look much better this year save for a couple of consolation wins.

I'd be looking at making a double play for Shane Flanagan and John Morris, if financial viable. As a pair they have leadership, tactical nous, understanding of squad management, with the former winning a premiership. Our coaching staff have none of the above and excel at playing musical chairs...

Active Now

• Financeguy
  • Midean
  • broncsgoat
  • Broncosgirl
  • GCBRONCO
  • Jazza
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • Browny
  • BroncosAlways
  • LittleDavey
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Johnny92
  • Justwin
  • Foordy
  • mieko
  • Old Mate
  • Hoof Hearted
  • FACTHUNT
  • kiwi2
  • Bish
... and 5 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.