Time for Milford to take charge

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
THE honeymoon is over for Anthony Milford, with “The King” Wally Lewis declaring Brisbane’s No. 6 must forget about his shoulder woes and step up for the Broncos.

Milford will be Brisbane’s chief playmaker for the remainder of the season following halfback Ben Hunt’s move to replace injured hooker Andrew McCullough.

Milford thrived on the responsibility when Hunt was injured earlier this year, guiding the Broncos to five straight wins alongside fill-in No. 7 Kodi Nikorima.

That was until he suffered a dislocated shoulder which requires surgery, an operation Milford is hoping to delay until the off-season.

The 23-year-old has looked timid at times in his three matches back with a heavily strapped shoulder.

But with Brisbane’s premiership hopes on the line and having signed a $1 million-a-season contract extension, Lewis said there was no room for excuses.

“If you’re back on deck then you are regarded as being fit and good enough,” Lewis said.

“There might be one or two games to enjoy a return and get the confidence back but after that there is nothing else.

“You’ve got to be producing your best, particularly with the finals just around the corner.

“Having come back from a shoulder injury myself, there is that bit of concern and doubt in your mind.

The more games he plays, the more confidence he’s going to get.

“You’ve got to have the belief.”

Broncos fans will get another look at their 2018 halves duo when Milford and Nikorima confront the Titans in Saturday’s derby at Cbus Super Stadium.

The combination is unbeaten in six starts this season with the youngsters having had a long association together that dates back to their junior days.

While they have enjoyed playing alongside each other, Milford denied the onus was on him solely to take control.

“It’s not more responsibility (for me). The role will be shared,” Milford said.

“Kodi’s been working really hard with our kicking staff here.

“We need to continue playing footy for the whole 80 and taking more control.”

Maroons coach Kevin Walters has no doubts Milford will be able to manage his dodgy shoulder for the remainder of the year after he made his State of Origin debut this year.

“Anthony’s experience in Origin has certainly helped his game,” he said.

“The shoulder won’t bother him too much, he’s a tough little bugger Anthony so I don’t have any concerns about him playing tough in the finals.

“Wayne (Bennett, coach) has some work to do with the Broncos. McCullough is a huge loss but their saving grace is they have time to build new combinations and Anthony, being the constant at five-eighth, is crucial to their spine.”

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...s/news-story/4f8639c6b2e39f3249a9e9914732300f

Courier Fail........one town newspaper.

Wish they'd just get Walters back into the fold. He clearly has a keen interest

"kodi has been working really hard with our kicking staff here"

I'll believe that when I see it, Taylor is most likening going to give us a lesson on in game kicking tomorrow night.

"kodi has been working really hard with our kicking staff here"

I'll believe that when I see it, Taylor is most likening going to give us a lesson on in game kicking tomorrow night.
I hope Milford has been there with him.

While they have enjoyed playing alongside each other, Milford denied the onus was on him solely to take control.

“It’s not more responsibility (for me). The role will be shared,” Milford said.

this is the comment that concerns me slightly ...

While it's true to a degree that the role will be shared, he is our million dollar half, our marquee player. he needs to take ownership of this team and i'm not sure he is prepared to do this at this stage.

that comment sounds a bit like him preparing an excuse (of sorts) if things don't go our way and trying to shift a portion of the blame to Nikorima, a guy on a fraction of his income, with a fraction of his experience in the halves.

While it's true to a degree that the role will be shared, he is our million dollar half, our marquee player. he needs to take ownership of this team and i'm not sure he is prepared to do this at this stage.

that comment sounds a bit like him preparing an excuse (of sorts) if things don't go our way and trying to shift a portion of the blame to Nikorima, a guy on a fraction of his income, with a fraction of his experience in the halves.
This was my first thought to. He really does need to stand up big time and control the team. He is now the main man, no excuses.

Would be good for him to fire and show his worth

When it comes to the media, these guys aren't smart enough to think for themselves, they are footballers after all, so you can be pretty certain that whatever he is saying, is what the coaches are telling him to say.

Full uh credit uh to the uh boys uh.

Unread

Active Now

• Ondi
  • broncos4life
  • Ghost of Vlansys
  • Dash
  • Jedhead
  • Lurker
  • Pablo
  • Culhwch
  • Gaz
  • Browny
  • Harry Sack
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • sooticus
  • Manofoneway
  • TimWhatley
  • Broncosarethebest
... and 6 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.