NEWS Titans lead revolt against expansion

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
  • 12 of the 16 clubs have commissioned an independent report on the impact of expansion
  • the NRL also commissioned a report in 2019. the NRL have not released the findings of this report, which has clubs concerned.
  • Vlandys told the Australian the the club's understanding of the report was ‘completely inaccurate’. (not surprising if the NRL are hiding the report)
Gold Coast co-owner Darryl Kelly says:

“We want to see some facts,” Kelly said.

“We won’t have a firm position until we know the facts. That’s basically it.

“Why aren’t they releasing the 2019 report? Does it not tell the story they want told?

“It’s not a good look. It looks like the decision has been made before all the facts are in. That’s certainly the way it looks.

“There has been no consideration given to compiling a comprehensive report which clearly states it’s the way forward.

“I’m disappointed for (the bid teams) because I know how much work goes into doing it properly. If they don’t go ahead with expansion, a lot of people have put a lot of time and money into something that’s been wasted.

“It seems they (NRL) have got a timetable and that’s the determinant.”

“We want to see the evidence that there will be enough money,” he said.

“Has anyone asked the question of where the extra dollars are coming in to support a new club? There is the $13 million (yearly club) grant and then the extra costs to run the competition.

“Kate Jones (commissioner) is doing a piece on participation and that should be part of the consideration. What’s the cost to the women’s game and participation and grassroots?

“Let’s have some facts put on the table so we can understand where we’re going.”

Vlandys says:

“It’s not fair at all what he is saying,” V’landys said.

“I haven’t even spoken to Darryl Kelly yet, you would think they would hear us out before they want to criticise us but that’s his prerogative.

“I’ve always said the numbers have to stack up for us to consider adding another team in Queensland.

“We will not have the Titans, Cowboys and Broncos cannibalised, I’ve made that very clear.”

QRL chairman Bruce Hatcher says

“I have previously done my own studies of the impact of expansion on the Gold Coast,” Hatcher said.

“I’m not ruling out expansion by any means, but I have a particular view that the Titans need support and they need a better hold on the Gold Coast region than they currently have because historically it’s been difficult for rugby league to succeed in that area.

“I really admire the current investors Darryl Kelly and Rebecca Frizelle for putting their money where their mouth is and giving it a great shot.”

So I'm finding it hard to imagine we aren't one of the clubs....Can't imagine why 😏

Titans are the big boys now aren’t they... why can’t they handle expansion in a different city? 🙄

Titans will be in ruins if this 2nd Brisbane team hits the ground, I know the title says "Gold Coast" but the Titans to me are essentially a Brisbane team and they've struggled ever since their initial squad moved on

The guy is a moron, unfortunately he's a powerful moron.

Vlandys mission to destroy rugby league from the inside is in full force.

he's now suggesting we could have a 5th QLD team by 2027. clearly he hasn't learned what the word national means in his organisations name. he also clearly hasn't learned what happens when you over saturate a market like they did in Sydney

Kunt was cheerleading for him on 360 tonight, that just about says it all.

I found that whole segment absolutely atrocious. I really appreciate Ikin and standing up against the Vlandys dictatorship. He got absolutely hammered for it and Kent almost let the worst kept secret out of the bag by saying:

'Ben you are supposed to be on the other side...I mean of being in favour of expansion.'

This was in response to a VERY good point of how badly Vlandys handled this by responding spitefully and dismissively of one of the Titans' owners and the fact he is putting his own money into the comp via the club he owns. It was an absolutely valid point and totally got shut down.

Ikin also pointed out that it remains to be seen if Vlandys changes will be for the good of the game, for which he got shouted down again. Should we expect a new host of 360 next week?

Its beginning to seem very much like Vlandys has made promises of more games for Fox in the last broadcast deal and now he is going full throttle at that.

Its beginning to seem very much like Vlandys has made promises of more games for Fox in the last broadcast deal and now he is going full throttle at that.
I did not think of that, great fucking point. I’ve made is very clear what I think of this flog but I just find new ways to hate him even more.

sorry to those that wanted Redcliffe to be the next Brisbane team ... but Badel thinks they're favourites, so they're sunk before they get started 😛

I'd imagine the 'positive conversations' would've been along the lines of "don't worry we won't let you go bankrupt".

With how reactive Vlando is and with how much of his "ideas" come from NSWRL media, I'd say they will very much adopt the approach similar to AFL where the club grants are pro-rata to the clubs based on various criteria.

So the poorer clubs will receive a larger grant and the rich clubs (i.e. Brisbane) will get reduced grants in order to prop up the shit clubs running at a loss.... because giving shit clubs more money to waste will instantly stop them from being a basket-case

Unread

Active Now

• LGH
  • Skathen
  • Broncorob
  • Broncosgirl
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.