Today in 1988

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
Broncos v Dragons at Lang Park.

Teams were: Brisbane – S Duffy, M Hancock, R Teevan, C Johns, J Kilroy, W Lewis (c), A Langer, T Matterson, B Le Man, G Miles, A Tessmann, G Conescu, G Dowling Interchange: B Noke, K Walters (Coach W Bennett)
St George – C Mohr, B Gordon, P Gill, M Beattie, R Walford, S Robinson, B Clark, G Selby, G Wynn, W Fullerton-Smith, C Young (c), T Bailey, P Osborne Interchange: M Blackburn (Coach T Glossop)

Brisbane 26 (R Teevan 2, G Miles, C Johns tries T Matterson 5 goals) defeated St George 22 (R Walford 2, C Mohr, C Young tries R Walford 3 goals)

Dragons had won eight straight, Miles dropped from the Test side, Dragons had two sin binnings and a 14-4 penalty count against.

Broncos up 18-14 at half time.

But the big talking point was in a big stuff you to Lang Park and XXXX the Broncos stayed on the field at half time behind a Power's square banner.

Powers weren't allowed to be seen at Lang Park at all.

Broncos reserve grade that day takes some beating.

16. Scott
17. Benson
18. Rix
19. Plowman
20. Bourke
21. French
22. Grauf c
23. Kennedy
24. K.Gee
25. Hohn
26. Niebling
27. Walters
28. Tessman

29. Marshall
30. Teevan
31. Herring
32. Walters
33. Thorogood
34. Hanrahan

Five Test players! Hohn, Walters, Scott, Niebling and Tessman.

I'm curious? There's a Walters on the bench in the 1st grade team (kerod Walters?), and two Walters in the reserve. One would be kerod Walters. Who is the other? Kevin Walters didn't transfer from Canberra until 1989, unless my memory fails me.

I'm curious? There's a Walters on the bench in the 1st grade team (kerod Walters?), and two Walters in the reserve. One would be kerod Walters. Who is the other? Kevin Walters didn't transfer from Canberra until 1989, unless my memory fails me.
Same guy, Kerrod played in both games.

Same guy, Kerrod played in both games.

Yeah, the bench worked differently back then, my understanding is players on the bench were selected from the reserve grade game, correct me if I'm wrong.

Yeah, the bench worked differently back then, my understanding is players on the bench were selected from the reserve grade game, correct me if I'm wrong.
You are spot on, bench players in first grade often didn't get a run.

Two reserves. Kerrod came up from Reserve grade and Noke was the fresh player. Andrew Walters is on the bench in reserve grade too.

Thus the three listed.

Was Andrew a brother of the twins? or a namesake. He have to be a bit hard done if hewas, as the only Walters not to really make it.

Was Andrew a brother of the twins? or a namesake. He have to be a bit hard done if hewas, as the only Walters not to really make it.

5 Walters brothers in total, Brett, Steve, Andrew, Kerrod and Kevin Walters.

Micheal Beatie got busted with bullet proof vests , guns and large amount of amphetamine a few years later .
I was shocked and amazed .

Brother, Drew was very talented but badly hurt his neck. Brett and Drew played for Ipswich in the 80's and lower grades with the Broncos.

Brett also played for Norths in the BRL.

They all played first grade football.

Active Now

• Waynesaurus
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • upthebroncs
  • Sproj
  • Swordfish
  • johnny plath
  • Redfern_1980
  • cento
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.