Todd Carney

Porthoz said:
If Shaun Metcalf is allowed in the NRL, Carney deserves 150 chances! [icon_shady

Yeah, becomes a moral quandary doesn't it.

Only if you want to push your agenda onto another argument. He's getting his second chance. If he blows it, cya later.

More like his millionth chance.

For an alcoholic sometimes the best thing is to hit rock bottom.

It's unfortunate that Todd wound up at the Chooks who don't have the best track record for handling their naughty players. He'd be better off at a club like Melbourne where he's a bit more sheltered - or even the Bulldogs who've learned their lessons the hard way and cleaned their act up.

If the Club have done everything they can to help him - like the Raiders did - and he just lied to them and did the wrong thing then I hope he gets sacked.

BUT if the Club just let him go do his own thing and ignored the problem at hand then I hope he gets a reprieve and the NRL & Roosters join up with AA and other professionals, put him in rehab and help him out.

Put him in rehab again you mean?
Help him out again you mean?

What more can they do without sending the wrong example, time and time again.

Nashy said:

Alcoholism is a very debilitating disease - if they have done the wrong thing by him they should admit it and help him out.

IF they have done everything they can to help him and he's thumbed his nose at them, then he needs to be sacked.

mrslong said:
Nashy said:

Alcoholism is a very debilitating disease - if they have done the wrong thing by him they should admit it and help him out.

IF they have done everything they can to help him and he's thumbed his nose at them, then he needs to be sacked.

Why? He's in AA for gods sake. He's getting the treatment he needs, he's obviously not taking it seriously if he's out IN PUBLIC having a few Vodkas.

The guy is a loser, willing to throw his life away.

Never heard of the term falling off the wagon then Nashy. It's a disease, they need more than just an AA meeting to fix them up. Alcoholics can't just fix themselves up. They don't think rationally, clearly TC doesn't think rationally to be out in public drinking.

If he's not got the proper care (MORE than just an AA meeting here and there), then they need to remedy that. If he has then sack him. It's all I'm saying.

He needs to truly admit he has a problem. I don't think he's done that. He says it to please the people he's talking to (Gallop, coach, club bosses etc) but he doesn't believe it.

Until he believes it, he can't get past it.

Coxy said:
He needs to truly admit he has a problem. I don't think he's done that. He says it to please the people he's talking to (Gallop, coach, club bosses etc) but he doesn't believe it.

Until he believes it, he can't get past it.
Yeh i believe that. He needs to hit rock bottom. And maybe that means getting stood down from NRL. Like at the Raiders, they gave him a chance and he knocked them back so they sacked him. That's probably what the roosters need to do if they haven't already.

my bro is an alcoholic. He doesn't admit it, doesn't take the responsibility, blames everyone else for his lot etc and so his life is a train wreck.

Is Carney actually an alco though. There is a big difference between being an alco, and just being a plain fuckwit who turns in to an even bigger fuckwit when they drink.

He's exhibiting the classic symptoms of an alcoholic. Trying to disguise when he drinks. Trying to lie to people about what he's doing (going to see mum, going for an early dinner then home to watch TV etc)...

I don't buy the "alcoholics have a disease" line. It's like complaining and blaming everyone else for a hangover. It's self inflicted. And only one person can stop it happening.

Nashy said:
I don't buy the "alcoholics have a disease" line. It's like complaining and blaming everyone else for a hangover. It's self inflicted. And only one person can stop it happening.

Addictive personality is just that, a personality disorder. Their brain chemistry is such that they're prone to addiction. But disease? Not really. It's not something that can be "cured" in the truest sense of the word.

As I've said, ask any reformed alcoholic and they'll tell you they're not cured. They have to battle it every day for the rest of their lives.

Steve Noyce making a statement outside Roosters headquarters at 5pm

Tough to sack Carney over just drinking but I think a 3 month suspension is in order. Watts will go he is a criminal.

OXY-351 said:
Is Carney actually an alco though. There is a big difference between being an alco, and just being a plain **** who turns in to an even bigger **** when they drink.

this ...

I thought an alcoholic was someone who is adicted to the stuff and drinks every day. If that is the definition of an alcoholic then no NRL player could be classified as one because it would be physically IMPOSSIBLE to get within a bull's roar of the NRL if you drank that often.

Bull_Shark said:
[quote="OXY-351":3ig5badz]Is Carney actually an alco though. There is a big difference between being an alco, and just being a plain **** who turns in to an even bigger **** when they drink.

this ...

I thought an alcoholic was someone who is adicted to the stuff and drinks every day. If that is the definition of an alcoholic then no NRL player could be classified as one because it would be physically IMPOSSIBLE to get within a bull's roar of the NRL if you drank that often.[/quote:3ig5badz]

There are degrees of addiction. You can have an addiction to something without partaking in it everyday.
Carney's obviously not the Leaving Las Vegas style of alcoholic, but he's still an alcoholic.

Active Now

• Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Sproj
  • Foordy
  • Spoon
  • MrRobot
  • Kev_Guz
  • matthewransom34@ic
  • Mustafur
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.