Todd Carney

Yes, he's a compulsive drinker.

Alcoholism is split into two terms these days. Alcohol dependence, which is described above, and alcohol abuse.

To quote Wikipedia:

Alcohol abuse is a pattern of drinking that results in harm to one’s health, interpersonal relationships, or ability to work. According to Gelder, Mayou & Geddes (2005) alcohol abuse is linked with suicide. They state the risk of suicide is high in older men who have a history of drinking, also if a person is suffering from depression. Certain manifestations of alcohol abuse include failure to fulfill responsibilities at work, school or home; drinking in dangerous situations, such as while driving; legal problems associated with alcohol use; and continued drinking despite problems that are caused or worsened by drinking. Alcohol abuse can lead to alcohol dependence.[3]

This describes Carney to a T.

He cannot control himself around alcohol, he continues to drink despite knowing this and the negative effect on his career.

The Rock said:
Kaz said:
[quote="Bucking Beads":2e1vb0rj]Watts will go he is a criminal.

When was the court case, that found him guilty.

His ex didn't get that black eye from walking into a pole.[/quote:2e1vb0rj]

Like Inglis's?

The Rock said:
Kaz said:
[quote="Bucking Beads":39uw34hj]Watts will go he is a criminal.

When was the court case, that found him guilty.

His ex didn't get that black eye from walking into a pole.

Anyway, I can't believe the Roosters didn't sack Watts. Both Carney and Watts suspended indefinitely.[/quote:39uw34hj]

Just like Bird and GI?

Bird got sacked by Cronulla, remember.

GI's a superstar. You don't sack a superstar unless he has sex with the CEO's daughter.

With friends like this....
http://www.foxsports.com.au/league/nrl- ... 6041942086

Todd Carney had at least one high-profile supporter - Kings Cross nightclub boss Sydney and Roosters fan John Ibrahim.

The Eastern Suburbs identity has posted two messages on Twitter backing Carney.

Ibrahim previously only ever posted four Twitter messages since he opened his account last year.

But on Tuesday, Ibrahim issued two messages of support for Carney, asking Roosters fans to stand by him.

"Don't give up on Carney, he needs help, he has the potential to be one of the great players of our time," the first message read. Two minutes later, he backed up the support: "Carney needs the support and guidance that only the NRL and the Roosters can give to really get his life sorted."

Carney and teammate Anthony Watts were partying at Ibrahim's nightclub Trademark early on Sunday. The Roosters on Tuesday suspended both players indefinitely.

I am of the STRONG opinion that the NRL need to start taking a tough stance on domestic violence.

However it's tough when the charges are dropped etc like Bird, Inglis & Lui. Still - immediate suspension is a good start and if found guilty (anthony watmaugh i'm looking at you) then adios.

Domestic Violence is far worse than anything Joel Monas did, it's worse than Todd Carney drinking when he isn't supposed to. And yet the NRL seem to think it's ok. Welcome Shaun, welcome Anthony...Not good!!!!

Anyway, I think standing down Todd Carney indefinitely until he gets help is a step in the good direction for the kid.

Anthony Watts will be gone IMO. At the moment he is only on suspension, but the club has also issued him a Breach of Contract notice and he has to front the board in 5 days to show cause as to why they shouldn't sack him.

As for Carney, well I think this article sums up my thoughts fairly well. The very public limelight of the NRL or any top level professional sports environment is no place to be effectively rehabilitated:

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/rugby-l ... 1dngx.html

I particularly like this point:

It says something of the still prevailing culture of binge-drinking and peer group pressure that Carney sobered up while working in an Atherton pub, yet could not remain so in the NRL.

I also identify pretty strongly with the sentiments in this article (below) in that I am completely over the whole 'the game needs to stand by Todd Carney' attitude. The game has done a lot to try and help him and given him many chances. But the fact is addicts of any kind cannot be helped unless and until they REALLY want the help and are willing to help themselves. Apart from last season all Carney has done is let himself, his team-mates and the whole game down.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/so-w ... 6041826409

Anyone see the pic of Carney in the basketball singlet and those ridonculous Sunnies?

Bucking Beads said:
Anyone see the pic of Carney in the basketball singlet and those ridonculous Sunnies?

That was Watts, wasn't it?

He was in an LA Lakers jersey.

Nope, defs Carney.

Can't find it online, but it's the back page of the paper.

Ahk, well I swear there's one with Watts wearing a basketball jersey!

ningnangnong said:
Ahk, well I swear there's one with Watts wearing a basketball jersey!
Yeah I saw the one you're talking about, sunglasses and LA Lakers jersey.

At least Carney has good taste in teams away from league.
Purp n Yellow

Carney has good taste, Wattsy doesn't though. Lakers pfffffffffffft, Hornets to get up 4-nil!!

Active Now

• Brocko
  • Ozired
  • kiwi2
  • Mustafur
  • ChewThePhatt
  • bb_gun
  • Xzei
  • Foordy
  • Dash
  • bazza
  • Broncosgirl
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Footy Fanatic
  • teampjta
  • Fozz
  • broncos4life
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Sproj
  • Browny
  • cento
... and 26 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.