Todd Carney

I'm ok with the Roosters keeping Carney on, though I would hope for a short term suspension to make the point that, while they are supporting his recovery, this behaviour is not ok.

IMO, the most important thing is for Carney to stop drinking. Full stop. None of this "I'm not going to drink during the season" or "I'll lay off the grog for a while". He's made it perfectly clear that any amount of alcohol results in a situation where he is out of control. He needs to realise how serious it is and make the decision to stay away from it for the rest of his life.

Easier said..

I actually think it is a damn good effort to go so long without getting in any alcohol related trouble, Taking his history into account i expected him to break alot sooner.

If he can go another season without any trouble good on him one slip up along the way is expected.

To be honest I feel a bit sorry for him. He's an idiot cause he should have had a big greasy feed and waited a couple of hours before driving, but it's not like he's tried to drive home after having a skinfull at the pub.

I thought he had his license suspended for 5 years????

Yeah, what is the penalty for leading the cops on a high speed chase?

dukey said:
Bucking Beads said:
I thought he had his license suspended for 5 years????

That was five years ago, hence the red P-plates.

true, I thought it was 2007 that this happened??

If I'm remembering correctly, he lost the licence in 06 for drink driving.
The incident in 07 was when he didn't stop for cops because he was driving unlicenced.

At least he's being a man about it - admiting he did it, not trying make any excuses and he seems really very contrite.

Timeline from http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/leag ... 1b95t.html:

December, 2006: Charged with mid-range drink driving and reckless driving after an incident in Goulburn.

February, 2007: Licence suspended for five years.

May, 2007: Carney and fellow Raiders player Steve Irwin lead police on a car chase through Canberra's streets. Carney placed on a good-behaviour bond, banned from driving and sentenced to 200 hours of community service.

July, 2008: Alleged to have urinated on a man at a Canberra nightclub.

2009: Damaged property and jumped on a car bonnet in another alcohol-fuelled incident. Received a 12-month suspended jail sentence and banned from his home town of Goulburn. Spends the year in far north Queensland with Atherton before signing with the Sydney Roosters.

January, 2010: Burned a man by setting fire to his pants as a prank.

draggx said:
Easier said..

I actually think it is a damn good effort to go so long without getting in any alcohol related trouble, Taking his history into account i expected him to break alot sooner.

If he can go another season without any trouble good on him one slip up along the way is expected.

Sure it's easier said than done. I wouldn't expect a perfect track record with no slip ups, but my point is that he's not doing himself any favours by continuing to avoid making that commitment.

Flutterby said:
At least he's being a man about it - admiting he did it, not trying make any excuses and he seems really very contrite.

Well he can't deny it happened.

I know - but Andrew Johns couldn't deny getting busted with drugs either, difference being that Johns made all kinds of excuses as to why he should not be blamed.

Looking at the timeline. It seems that one slip up along the way is a yearly thing anyway...

He got caught.. how many times do you drive to work and get randomly breath tested? The question is, how many times has he done this before, or worse without being caught?

I thought everyone knew that you could still be over the next morning?

You'd think a bloke, even as fucking stupid as he is, who drink as much as he does, would fucking know this.

Nashy said:
I thought everyone knew that you could still be over the next morning?

You'd think a bloke, even as **** stupid as he is, who drink as much as he does, would **** know this.

QFT.

I love how people are trying to say he was "unlucky". Far from it. He has an alcohol problem, got on the drink in a big way, and drove the next day. Nothing unlucky about it.

The guy is an alcoholic and should grow a brain and stay completely away from it.

I'm not much of a drinker so I could be totally wrong, but I would think you would have to drink a shiteload to be over the limit the next morning.

I also agree with others who have questioned how many times he has done it and not got caught

I've been driving for 26 years and have only been RBT'd maybe 6-8 times - that's an average of around once every 3-4 years

john1420 said:
I'm not much of a drinker so I could be totally wrong, but I would think you would have to drink a shiteload to be over the limit the next morning.

The times I've had a big night and "felt" drunk the next morning, I'd had a minimum 8 drinks the night before, and that's not standard drinks, that's pints. So probably 16-20 standard drinks. It's a lot.

He would've hit it pretty hard.

Active Now

• Redux
  • Harry Sack
  • Broncosgirl
  • bazza
  • Spoon
  • Johnny92
  • Galah
  • winslow_wong
  • Mustafur
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.